Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > Are you good at waiting in line?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Are you good at waiting in line?

I can be except when I think the people in front of me are stupid/inconsiderate. Yesterday I was waiting in line at the library. And some fuckface woman in front of me was asking the librarian to look up CD audiobooks for her, like, James Patterson and shit. I wanted to say, "Hey, stupid fucker slowing up the library line, there's a computer THREE FEET BEHIND ME you can use to look up these fucking shit audiobooks instead of wasting the librarian's time." And she took about ten minutes! And then (I eavesdropped) it was clear the woman KNEW how to use the computer system but accidentally got tapes instead of CDs. Guess what, dumbass? THERE'S A PICTURE OF A FUCKING CD NEXT TO THE AUDIOBOOKS ON FUCKING CD. How complicated is that? And THEN, even, her husband came over, once she had finished, and they stood right in front of the desk talking about the audiobooks so that I had to move around them to get to the librarian. Fucking fuck fuckfaces. Notice there are other people in the fucking world.

Now I feel better.

You?

message 2: by Aynge (last edited Jul 12, 2011 08:51AM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments Why didn't you say anything? I mean, not angrily. "Ahem, excuse me, I need to get through here, thanks ever so much."

Sometimes people don't realize they are being rude/stupid, etc. Sometimes if you ask for something, they will gladly cooperate. If you say something, then you won't stew on it so much, ie "Damn I should have said something... "

message 3: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Are you good at waiting in line?

I can be except when I think the people in front of me are stupid/inconsiderate. Yesterday I was waiting in line at the library. And some fuckface woman in fr..."
I loved this!

message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Heh, fucking fuck faces.

message 5: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I do try to be considerate of other people, but I also have a short temper, so I try to keep myself occupied while I'm waiting. I play with my phone or skim a book.

I was stuck in retail for so many years that I have more sympathy for those behind the counter than those in front of it ('fuckfaces'? i prefer assholes, tools, or douche bags, myself) but I do try hard to not take up too much space by being too spread out nor do I attempt to take up too much of their time.

message 6: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jul 12, 2011 10:39AM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I was having a similar experience yesterday, RA. Just substitute "dickface" for "fuckface," and that about sums it up. (The DF is my insult of choice lately)

Usually, I'm very good at waiting in line, especially when I have my kindle. It's waiting in traffic that is really starting to irk me.

message 7: by Sally, la reina (new)

I hate the term douche bag. What is that? "You are so gross you are like washing a vagina?"

message 8: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Are you good at waiting in line?

I can be except when I think the people in front of me are stupid/inconsiderate. Yesterday I was waiting in line at the library. And some fuckface woman in fr..."

Son, is that you?

message 9: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Sally wrote: "I hate the term douche bag. What is that? "You are so gross you are like washing a vagina?""

I've always wondered about that myself. I think you summed it up.

message 10: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Amber wrote: "I was having a similar experience yesterday, RA. Just substitute "dickface" for "fuckface," and that about sums it up. (The DF is my insult of choice lately)

Usually, I'm very good at waiting in l..."

My husband's insult of choice is "clown". It drives me nuts. I don't know why it does. It just does.

I used to be better at waiting in line-ups, but I'm getting worse. Life's too short to wait in a line-up.

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Aynge wrote: "Why didn't you say anything? I mean, not angrily. "Ahem, excuse me, I need to get through here, thanks ever so much."

Sometimes people don't realize they are being rude/stupid, etc. Sometimes if..."

You know, this is a fair question, Aynge, but 1) her wasting of the librarian's time was, sadly, legal and impossible to avoid. And to be fair maybe she didn't understand the system. But you know how, when you're in line at the supermarket, and you have thirty things, and someone who has one arrives, and you say "just go ahead of me" so the person with one item doesn't have to wait for your thirty? That's what I think the woman should have done, and 2) I don't know how the woman could NOT have seen that standing directly in front of where the books are checked out, with a man standing there with books in his hand, facing the desk, is problematic. Maybe the woman, again to be fair, is just unobservant.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm good at lines if they're fair and expected. Lines to get into a concert can be fun - you wait all day and order pizza in line and stamp your feet toward off the cold and then you get close enough for Bruce to sweat on you. If everybody's excited and friendly and waiting for the same thing I'm down with it.

Sunday we were waiting in line to buy movie tickets because the electronic kiosks no longer work. There were two ticket sellers, two empty registers, a line out the door. And both sellers were dealing with irate customers with big issues, so the line wasn't moving at all, and an ineffectual manager was bouncing between the two of them without adding more cashiers or bringing the problem customers over to customer service. Lucky thing they have seven million trailers before movies because I was late for the movie start because of the stupid line.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Charly wrote: "So how was the rest of your day?"

And quite well, Charly, although I'm going to Costco for tires lately, so we'll see. And Clark, I would gladly call you dad, but believe it or not, you're not old enough:)

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Stupid lines. Stupid people in front of me in lines.

message 15: by Aynge (last edited Jul 12, 2011 02:50PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments RA: I do allow people with only one or two items to go ahead of me, of course, but I'm the first to admit that I don't always turn around or look up to notice things when I'm standing in line. My method of coping has been to play Bejeweled on my iPod. And not everyone bothers to ask if they can skip ahead.

On the other hand, if someone cuts ahead of me in line, or leaves their empty cart in front of me after they pay, I say something. I avoid my instinct to shout, "Hey, dipsh*t! Move it or I'll punch you in your effing neck!" I believe in manners. I'm nice about it. If it's the cashier or the clerk being rude, I write about it on Yelp. (Believe it or not, Yelp solves problems. I wrote about a manager at a drugstore who refused to take a return when I had a receipt, and it fell under their store policy. And guess what? Next thing I know they transfered his ass. One of the clerks later confirmed it. He had too many complaints. I didn't lose my temper with him, even when he implied that I stole the item because his computer had no record of my sale. He was holding the receipt! That's just one example.)

I think the worst thing I ever said to a clerk was, "Do they pay you to be this rude, or do you volunteer?" I said it calmly, but didn't help. She just got defensive. So if you're genial and polite and sweet, it usually disarms people. "Hi, hello! Could you grab you cart please?" I say, even though I wish I could just shove it and knock the idiot over. "Excuse me! Coming through, pardon me," I say, even if they are the ones who are blocking the way. If someone is not being overtly rude, then I try to give them the benefit of the doubt. There are a lot of things in life to get enraged about, like Casey Anthony being aquitted or Philip Garrido getting life when he should have been pushed into an incinerator. I'd gladly beat the sh*t out of either of them any day of the week, but the thoughtless aholes I run into around here... come on. We gotta cut each other some slack.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I never "like" being in line, but I'm a daydreamer and can zone out easy enough. Even when I get irritated with people who are being slow or oblivious to what's around them, I rarely think enough to want to do anything about it.

Maybe because I have a mom who goes overboard with making her opinion known sometimes and have seen her say things that shock the heck out of me, that I've always tended to go in the opposite direction.

message 17: by Sally, la reina (new)

My insult of choice is "moron." I love the sound of it.

message 18: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I always seem to pick the line that inevitably has a problem. Even if it is the shortest line, I will end up waiting for some drama to unfold ahead of me.

message 19: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Some places I expect to wait in line, so it's no big deal.
Other places it gets under my skin. More than once I have walked out without my intended purchase because the lines are ridiculous. It's just bad business to make it hard to spend money. Hire some cashiers! Unemployment is still 10+ % around here, so I assume there are competent people willing to take the jobs.

My insult of choice lately had been nitwit or dimwit.

message 20: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24099 comments Mod
If the queuing system is fair, I am good at waiting in line. I don't like it, I actually loathe waiting for anything, but I will wait calmly and patiently. Usually fairness means one line, and one or more servicers/cashiers etc. What I hate is when there are multiple lines and your line moves slow as fuck and you have to decide - should I change lines? Or have I invested so much time in this dumbass line that I need to stick with it?

One of the most annoying places to shop is Walgreens because at different stores they have different systems - either one snaking line, or multiple. At my local Walgreens they switch back and forth because customers don't know what the fuck is going on. It creates a lot of fury. And the cashiers are not consistent - you'll hear one of them shout "Next person in line!" and the next one will shout, "Next person in THIS LINE!"

message 21: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I hate it when somebody at Walgreens or CVS is checking out with what appears to be a week's worth of groceries. Isn't that what the grocery store is for?

message 22: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

It depends. I'll make a note of whether something is cheaper at Walgreens or the grocery. Ice cream, nondairy creamer, stuff like that. Lean Cuisines back when I used to eat them. Perhaps too, that person doesn't have a car and getting groceries from the drugstore is more convenient for them.

message 23: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments I dislike lines. I generally do my shopping during the week to avoid lines. I’m usually very patient with clerks coping with large numbers of patrons- I become irate with patrons who treat clerks like shit because they’re angry about standing in line.

I feel ever so much better when I yell at some asshole treating the 16 year old clerk like dirt because they can. I enjoy it immensely.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't mind a queue in the supermarket. It gives me time to read the magazines I won't bother to buy or read otherwise.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I don't mind queues at the grocery as much as other queues, generally. What does bug me is there is not much space between the ends of the aisles, and the checkout counters, and everyone is all crammed in in their various lines and if you are still shopping you have to squeeze between them. I wouldn't be surprised if this area of the store has gotten smaller to squeeze out more profit.

message 26: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart ms.petra wrote: "I always seem to pick the line that inevitably has a problem. Even if it is the shortest line, I will end up waiting for some drama to unfold ahead of me."

Me too!!!

message 27: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) Lobstergirl wrote: "What I hate is when there are multiple lines and your line moves slow as fuck and you have to decide - should I change lines? Or have I invested so much time in this dumbass line that I need to stick with it?"

I find that it doesn't matter what I decide to do, I'm screwed. If I decide to move to another lane, the lane I left suddenly speeds up and I watch the person who took my place in the line get rung through and leave the store. If I decide to stay, the other lanes pump the people through while I stand and chew on my nails.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i dunno, i'm reasonably patient in line mostly because i know other people have to wait too. as long as i sort of know what is going on i can wait. por ejemplo: if i can see that there is a crash ahead on the road i am way more patient than if i can't see what the hold-up is. or if i see a cashier is at least trying to work i can wait in a line longer than if the cashier is not even there. i am most impatient in a superstore with 40 registers and only 2 of them open and a huge line at eash

message 29: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think everyone should have to work eight hours, minimum, at a shitty counter job so they learn (I hope) not to be assholes to people who work behind counters.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I would accept that.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) I'd also suggest that everyone should have to work customer service on a phone at some point. It's amazing what you hear when you answer a phone for 8 hours straight. You are the world's punching bag.

message 32: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I have no doubt that's true. I try hard to be nice to phone customer service reps. Or at a minimum, civil...

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments Stacia ~ tuned out wrote: "I'd also suggest that everyone should have to work customer service on a phone at some point. It's amazing what you hear when you answer a phone for 8 hours straight. You are the world's punching bag."

dunno stacia. i've been to india. would be a tough place to live

message 34: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Jul 15, 2011 05:50AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Stacia ~ tuned out wrote: "I'd also suggest that everyone should have to work customer service on a phone at some point. It's amazing what you hear when you answer a phone for 8 hours straight. You are the world's punching bag."

I'm not wired for dealing with the great unwashed masses. There's no way in Hell I'd last for more than a handful of calls before frying a head tube and heading for a tavern somewhere to babysit bar stools. It gives me bowel spasms to even think about having to deal with the Nike cult/BTK killer/Octomom-crazy general public.

message 35: by Louise (new)

Louise For me it depends very much on whether I have my 3 year old son with me or not!

He isn't patient, and the other day we needed milk and wipes (they're really a must have when you have a kid in diapers...) So, it's Sunday, only one supermarket is open, there are 20-25 people in line, and only two cashiers. And THEN they have all the candy and toys right before the register.
So, one of the tills clogged up because a customer thought the tomatoes was a dollar or so too expensive on the receipt.
I was trying real hard to keep my son entertained/occupied, but must confess that after a while I just didn't care, and let him sit and play with a toy from the shelves - that I didn't buy.

If I'm by myself and not in a hurry - and it isn't too hot - I'm fairly tolerant.
I like the insults "Pissemikkel" "Båtnakke" or idiot (the first two have a meaning along the lines of unintelligent jerk).