Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Servant of the Empire
Kelewan Empire Trilogy > Servant of the Empire:: Finished Reading - how did you like it? **SPOILERS** allowed

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Post here if you've finished reading. I did day before yesterday. Really couldn't put it down. Wonderful plot twists and turns, a bitter sweet ending, giving new meaning to the idea of letting go of what you love. I loved it and had a hard time not picking up the next book!

message 2: by Jon (last edited Jul 10, 2011 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonmoss) | 706 comments I loved it. I gave it five stars, mostly because several times I cried. Getting old and sentimental sucks, doesn't it?

While I'm not a fan of romance, for the most part I endured and enjoyed Mara's relationship with Kevin. I fear, however, that I will never see him again nor know what happens to him on the other side of the rift. That left me deeply saddened.

message 3: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I thought the romance was very well done, especially within the constraints of the society & Mara's personal issues. I got all choked up when she got made Servant, though. The upbeat endings of each book, after such finger-gnawing problems, have really been great. Emotionally, I've taken a pounding & loved it.

Sandra  (sleo) | 1059 comments Right! I agree, Jim. I also got choked up when they took Kevin away. I was bothered, throughout, however, that such an intelligent and active young man was so constrained to the roles of lap dog and boy toy. While sad, it was a relief to see him returned to a culture where he could use his prodigious talents.

As a heroine, Mara is truly remarkable, and I enjoyed how she gradually came to appreciate her 'barbarian's' point of view.

Shelley (shelley69) | 597 comments Jon wrote: "I loved it. I gave it five stars, mostly because several times I cried. Getting old and sentimental sucks, doesn't it?

While I'm not a fan of romance, for the most part I endured and enjoyed M..."

Wait my friends, just wait until you read the last installment, then you can say you have been dragged thru hell and back again!! Great series, great characters and great writing!

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I've been biting my tongue about the 3d book too, Shelley. I couldn't stop & wait for a month either.
;-)

message 7: by Amelia (last edited Jul 11, 2011 06:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amelia (narknon) | 523 comments Just finished this afternoon. Somehow I don't think we've seen the last of Kevin.

I love how Mara treated the Minwanabi household. That really touched me.

I liked Kevin and his obstinacy. (Although the name doesn't seem like a character in a book because my dad's named Kevin). It was hard to see him struggle with his love for Mara and his loyalty to his world and his desire to be free and to be a warrior. A prediction about him: I think he could be sent back to Kelewan as an emissary or an ambassador type from Midkemia. He understands Kelewan quite well.

I still hope that the marriage with Hokanu works out. Even though Mara has given her heart to Kevin, I think there's room for Hokanu too. His acceptance of the marriage proposal was touching as well.

Now I need to decide if I want to keep reading or go with some quick easy reads. The ending left me satisfied, knowing that at this point everything is ok for Mara. I'm sure the next book will throw in a bunch of kinks, but I can let them wait. I feel like I'm giving Mara a breather by not starting the next book. (Plus I have the next Malazan book to read and those always take me longer than I think they will.)

Overall, I really enjoyed the story and am looking forward to the next book whenever I decided to read it.

Suzanne | 212 comments Just a couple of brief thoughts to add:

I liked the contrast between the war gate of the Minwanabi and the prayer gate of the Acoma. That was just a slight touch, but I think it added a nice feel to the characters of the two warring factions.

I liked Mara more in this book than in book one, mostly because her manipulations in book one bothered me. I understand they were necessary, but I still felt sorry for the people who were tricked.

It was fun reading this so soon after Magician, and seeing some of the big events, like that in the arena, from both sides!