Start by marking “Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)

Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy #2)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  23,025 Ratings  ·  311 Reviews
Second in Feist & Wurts' wonderful epic trilogy -- one of the most successful fantasy collaborations of all time THE EMPIRE TRILOGY: BOOK II Nobody knows how to play the Game of the Council better than Mara of the Acoma. But when you're surrounded by deadly rivals intent on toppling you at every turn, you need to be the best simply to survive!
Published 1990 by Grafton

To ask other readers questions about Servant of the Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Servant of the Empire

Choko
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.75 ***

"...“Never underestimate the human capacity for stupid, illogical, and petty behavior.”..."

This book was amazing! It was not extraordinary in any specific way, just really, really good in many ways an Epic Fantasy could be good in. It has an interesting culture, a lot of manipulations for political power, a ton of battles, a wonderful romance, which on its own is a miracle for a Fantasy of this type, and most of all, it never crossed into the overly-done category in anything!!! The o
Jim
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Wow, again. As a guy, I sometimes have trouble connecting with a female main character, but not in this case. While Mara is about as distant from me as can be, she's a fantastic heroine & I hung on every word of the fantastic writing. My emotions bumped right along with her situation. Again, I stayed up too late reading & hated to put the book down.

The ending was perfect. The trilogy could have easily stopped on this book, but there is another & that's like finishing a feast with pl
Graeme Rodaughan
A wonderful book, rich with feeling. 5 stars easily earned.

The 2nd in the Empire trilogy pits Mara and her classy team of experts against the despicable villainy of Tasaio and the powerful Minwanabi family.

I love the characterization, which is rich and nuanced, these are characters you can really care about. The narrative is extensive and broad, suiting the Epic Fantasy genre. The story got me in and I was immersed - even though I've read this book multiple times before.

I was often smiling while
Olivia
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.

Mara is a fantastic heroine and probably one of my favourite female fantasy protagonists. The second book in the series has none of the lull so many sequels suffer from and instead packs plot for at least two books into one.

What I enjoyed most, for once (and it did come as a surprise) was the romantic element. I really loved Kevin as a character and found his relationship with Mara to be one of the best aspects of this book.

Every characters gets to grow and is developed further. The wo
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Jelis
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Often in trilogies, there occurs what is known as the "second book" syndrome, where the universe is no longer shiny and new as it was in the first book, but not as exciting as the climatic third book, and mostly exists as a bridge between those two, providing important set-up, but not feeling as exciting. Servant of the Empire, I am glad to say, does not have this problem. Despite having crossed the first hurdles to her rule, Mara still has many threats to deal with, for while her position may h ...more
Jackie
Aug 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Following on from Daughter of the Empire, this book expands on Mara's task of consolidating the position of House Acoma.
with the wealth gained from the silk trade she buys Midkemian slaves to cultivate her land and further increase her wealth.
One of them is , unknown to her, a noble in his own land. Naturally she falls in love with him etc, etc, etc.
I'm afraid that I found the love story between these two contrived and a little embarrassing . Kevin struck me as incredibly shallow. He falls in
Sotiris Karaiskos
Στο πρώτο βιβλίο αυτής της τριλογίας η αγαπητή μας Mara δεν τα κατάφερε και άσχημα, σε αυτό το δεύτερο, όμως, τα πράγματα γίνονται δυσκολότερα καθώς ισχυρότεροι αντίπαλοι μπαίνουν στο παιχνίδι και παίρνουν την κατάσταση στα χέρια τους εξαπολύοντας επίθεση τους. Εκτός, όμως, από τα πολιτικά παιχνίδια η ηρωίδα μας μαθαίνει και καλύτερα κάποια... άλλα παιχνίδια, τα οποία και αυτά φέρνουν τα προβλήματα τους. Παράλληλα ερχόμενη σε επαφή με την κουλτούρα απέναντι από το ρήγμα αμφισβητεί όλα αυτά που ...more
Michael Y. Patuwo
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
The second book of the Empire trilogy failed to hold a candle to the first one. While most of the characters remain interesting and the writing style has not changed, the plot has gone from mildly ponderous to thin, irrelevant, and suffering from way too much padding. It makes reading the second book right after the first one a disappointment, which is the reason why I've only given Servant of the Empire a rating of two stars.

The largest gripe I have with this book is the introduction of Kevin.
Tammy
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
This is the second book in the Empire Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. I really enjoyed the first book. I loved how a young and innocent girl was thrust into the deadly games of politics where any wrong move could be met with her death as well as the death of her loved ones and shame for anyone associated with the name of her family the Acoma. In book one Mara is 17, becomes Ruling Lady of the Acoma facing powerful enemies with only 37 warriors to protect her and her hard to defend e ...more
Emily
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this one and thought it was better than the first book. I see in other people's reviews that they didn't like Kevin, but he was probably my favorite part of the book. My gripes from book 1 do continue on in book 2 though - Mara plans always go perfectly for her and it all seems very coincidental. The right people side her way, the exact right things happen in the exact right order - which is why I gave it a 4 instead of a 5. Reading this series does make me want to go back and f ...more
Mieneke
Servant of the Empire is book two in the fabulous Empire series. In it we get back to Mara's story, but this time there is an important new player in the form of a Midkemian slave called Kevin. This book made me realise how strange a reread experience of a beloved book can be, as I found myself avoiding the book as I got nearer to a major confrontation at about a quarter of the book into the story, because I remembered something awful happening to a character I really love, but not remembering w ...more
Kate
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, fantasy
The intertwining of events from Magician into this book is what makes it so brilliant. Mara's acquisition of Midkemian slaves, including one Kevin changes her life and her way of thinking. Kevin's view of what to him is inexplicable and sometimes downright bizarre Tsurani culture allows Mara to break out of the strictures imposed by her upbringing and gives her a definite advantage in the Great Game.

The politics of this book are fantastically intricate and simultaneously awfully bloody. The afte
Victor *we were on a break!*
Wow... wow.
Dan
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Very, very good.
Nick
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sequels don't often live up to the first book, but this isn't one of those times.

The characters you know and love are all back and embroiled in the delights of the Kelewanese Game of Council, there are genuinely happy moments where you can't help but smile and be happy for the characters and there are low moments when all seems hopeless and you feel tense and want them to pull through.

This is one of those rare books that enhances what was already a superb story and some great characters with fur
Emerson
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Nunca subestimem a capacidade humana de ser estúpido, ilógico e mesquinho."

LIVRO FODA, EXCELENTE!!
Beniarto
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: riftwar, feist, wurts
The second in the series was definitely a page-turner, even more than the first. It saddened me to see that only this trilogy was made by the two. If the potential of Feist-Wurts could be explored further, I believed that they could match the partnership of Weis-Hickman.

It was alike and different from the first in many ways. All the main characters in the book returned, a great addition was Kevin, a prisoner of war turned slave by tradition of the Kelewanese.

I felt a great influence of James Cla
 Adriana ♩♪
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I work for the good of the Empire

After avoiding the obliteration of house Acoma, the Ruling Lady Mara is now focused on her blood feud enemy, the heir of house Minwanabi. To win this battle, Mara, with the help of her advisors and the slave Kevin from Midkemia, has to reconsider her beliefs, honour and tradition and use her influential and manipulative mind for the good of the Empire.

Tnkw01
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes, this book had a second book slump, but not much of one. I rate it 4.5 stars it would have had 5 stars except for the fact it dragged a bit in places and the names were a bit hard to keep up with but overall a great read. Again, Mara was great. The story again brought tears to my eyes at certain parts but alas, the good guy comes on top but with sacrifice.
Georgina
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mara is a character whose femininity makes her stronger - who can show emotion, can fail, can admit her mistakes and come back stronger. I love this sequel !
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The 2nd book in the greatest trilogy ever written, this one manages to avoid some of the pitfalls of the first novel, while not compromising the strengths. I was afraid that after securing her place a little in the world, the stakes and urgency of this book would be less compelling. In some ways they are, but at the same time I enjoyed the new stakes even more. If you actually have something there is more reason to worry about losing it.

One of the best set pieces of the series takes place in thi
Carson Kicklighter
Jun 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
I couldn’t finish this sequel because I found it slow, predictable, and boring.

One hundred pages into its predecessor, Daughter of the Empire, Mara had survived an assassination attempt, saved the life of a trusted family retainer, and pulled off a plan to recruit gray warriors to her house. By the same point in this book, however, Mara has just kind of shuffled around the house and fell in love with a barbarian slave. I saw the romance coming from the very first scene, where Mara purchases him,
Pauline
This fell into the second book slump as I like to call it. Good, but Mara is basically untouchable (I get the feeling that she is venturing ever further into Mary-sue territory). However is it executed quite nicely. There aren't as many crafty political maneuvers in comparison to the first book but it is still an entertaining read.

I wasn't too fond of the introduction of Kevin and the role that he had in the book. The further along I got, the more I kept seeing aspects of "this is a savage and
Kerry
Oct 28, 2014 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Rereading with Tansy Rayner Roberts on Tor.com

You know what, I'm just not enjoying this. I'm struggling to read the chapter each week and I find I'm not looking forward to it at all.

I'm going to keep reading the Tor.com posts, enjoying Tansy's summary and the comments, but I choose not to make myself keep on reading the book.

It's not that it's bad - I have good memories of my original read and I still think it's a good book - but I'm not having any fun, so I'm letting it go.
Sumant
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
livvingitup
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Mara has defeated her enemies, but now she must navigate a treacherous path laden with vipers. Her barbarian lover causes her to rethink her world's traditions and open her heart to change, and now she must use her wits to overcome peril and ensure the survival of her family.

Admittedly, I preferred the first book. Mara was more assertive and manipulative, and the book featured a series of thrilling deceptions. However, the second book possessed a more slow-burn plot with a more subtle dece
Charlotte B.
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Comme pour le premier tome, j'ai d'abord eu un peu de mal à rentrer dans l'histoire, toujours à cause de la complexité de la politique tsuranni. C'est un élément-clé de la vie de notre héroïne, Mara des Acoma. Mais au bout de quelques chapitres, j'étais happée dans l'histoire, de nouveau passionnée par le destin de Mara. Dans ce tome, cette fameuse politique tsurani et par extension, le mode de vie de Mara et des autres sujets de l'Empire vont subir de grands chamboulements, en partie grâce à l' ...more
Marina
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Заплетени интриги и кръвни вражди, преплетени с дози хумор. Краят беше малко нагласен, но отдавна не се бях забавлявала така с някоя книга.
Jeffrey Grant
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was another riveting story, though it different from the first book in several notable areas. Unfortunately I personally found the deviations jarring and it slightly detracted from my enjoyment, but they also were more reminiscent of the form of the original riftwar books, so they are understandable. It perhaps reveals a heavier involvement by Feist than with the first volume.

The focus still remains with Mara as she deals with the fallout, good and bad, from the previous book. It also intr
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Servant of the Empire [Feb 1, 2019] 1 4 Jun 19, 2018 09:41PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Servant of the Empire [Mar 10, 2018] 96 40 Mar 30, 2018 10:30AM
Get it on Kindle! 1 5 Jul 02, 2017 12:55PM
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • Darkspell (Deverry, #2)
  • The Paladin of the Night (Rose of the Prophet, #2)
  • Sword of Flame (Artefacts of Power, #3)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
Raymond E. Feist was born Raymond E. Gonzales III, but took his adoptive step-father's surname when his mother remarried Felix E. Feist. He graduated with a B.A. in Communication Arts with Honors in 1977 from the University of California at San Diego. During that year Feist had some ideas for a novel about a boy who would be a magician. He wrote the novel two years later, and it was published in 1 ...more
More about Raymond E. Feist

The Empire Trilogy (3 books)
  • Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #1)
  • Mistress of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • The Rules of Magic
    $11.99 $4.99
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Never underestimate the human capacity for stupid, illogical, and petty behaviour.” 4 likes
“Informants can be helpful, but they are never infallible. All tools can break, or be turned into weapons.” 2 likes