Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Writing Opportunities > New Epublisher for Authors and Readers Interested in Non-Erotic Books!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Hi All,

Just sharing a link to this new small epress, Astrea. It publishes clean fiction for teens and adults in all genres. They do no sex and no cursing. So if you're a reader or author looking for an epublisher that's non-erotic and publishes different genres, this is one.

Writers, if you decide to submit to them, do your research. I don't know jack about this company, their practices, etc. So be cautious with any company. I am just passing the news around. I do hope they are reputable because having a non-erotic publisher who publishes books for teens and adults seems cool. My best advice is if you ever consider submitting anywhere, always talk to the authors who are with the company.

I also shared this for readers on the look-out for different places to check out for reading purposes.

Once again, I don't know anything about them. They are new. I am just sharing news about a new press. I also can't speak for the quality of their books or anything because I've never read one. But if you're interested check out the link.

http://www.astraeapress.com/

On another note Samhain and Ravenous Romance are opening different imprints. Samhain has started a horror imprint and Ravenous is starting a horror and mystery imprint, I've heard. I think it's great that epublishers are finally focusing on different genres!

Best Wishes!

http://www.stacy-deanne.net

message 2: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I just checked out the link again and see they have a black title up there on the first page! Cool. Let's be honest, not a lot of epresses are publishing AA books. Looks like it might be a romance. I'm gonna check it out.

message 3: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Just went back and I don't believe they offer samples. Well, they best to hurry up and put some on there. LOL! I suppose you can read samples from Amazon. I'll check that out but I don't buy anything these days without a sample. Surely they know this is a big selling point. They should have excerpts up on their site though. They shouldn't expect folks to search somewhere else. Hmm.

If someone checks the link and I am wrong about samples, please let me know.

message 4: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Stacy, Astraea Press is publishing my sweet romance, Worth Waiting For, which is the first story in my Bailar series. I don't have a release date yet.

Before I decided to submit to them, I contacted a few of their authors that I know. My own experience with them has been very positive. They're professional and welcoming, and so are the other authors. The owner will be a guest on my blog on August 15th.

You make a good point about including an excerpt. I'll mention it to Stephanie (the owner) and see if that's a possibility.

http://delaneydiamond.com

message 5: by Stacy-Deanne (last edited Jul 10, 2011 09:53PM) (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) That's great, Delaney! Congratulations! I do hope it works out and I wish you the best with them! I am glad someone here has some personal experience with them. I definitely think they are onto something because I know a lot of aspiring writers who are writing books that don't fit with most of the other epubs. Now authors have an option in this press.

Thanks for sharing! I've read some statements from Stephanie on a writing forum and she seems very nice and upfront. I am glad you're having a good experience. When an author is happy with a publisher, that's a wonderful thing!

On behalf of the authors in the group, thanks so much for sharing your experience! You know me, I'm always looking out for authors. LOL!

message 6: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Thanks for sharing this, and it was my pleasure to add my two cents. Astraea is a new press, so word-of-mouth is going to be very important to their success. Still, they have a wealth of books in such a short time. They also have an IR book available named Royal Opposites.

Royal Opposites by Lori Crawford

message 7: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) Thanks for letting us know, Delaney!

message 8: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 10 comments OUt of curiosity, Astraea press mentions "pink parts." What are they?

message 9: by Stacy-Deanne (new)

Stacy-Deanne Stacy-Deanne (wwwgoodreadscomstacydeanne) I'm guessing private parts, though "some" of us don't have pink parts. LOL! I might be wrong, but that's how I take it.

I read on a forum where another author has been selected for this pub. She says she had to remove some minor curse words and cut her sex scene but she agreed with the changes. I mention this so writers who might wanna submit will know that this press means "clean" books when they say it. LOL!

Delaney might know if I'm right about the meaning for pink parts. LOL!

message 10: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Yes, you're right, Stacy--that's pretty much what pink parts means.

Clean definitely means clean. I had turned down another publisher because I wasn't completely comfortable with the changes they wanted me to make. With Astraea, I had to remove the word "damn" from my manuscript and a few other things that I was okay with.

message 11: by Aurora (last edited Jul 11, 2011 06:06PM) (new)

Aurora | 10 comments I also write stories that aren't strong on happy endings, could I still try to submit some? Or are they happy endings only? Ah forgot to mention and thank Delaney and Stacy-Deane for explanations :)

message 12: by Delaney (new)

Delaney Diamond (delaney_diamond) Aurora, if it's a romance, it has to have a happy ending--happy for now or happily ever after.

Astraea publishes all types of fiction, so if you don't have an HFN or HEA, you might want to submit your work as women's fiction instead of romance.

If you have specific questions about whether or not your work fits their catalog, send a general inquiry and someone will get back to you. http://www.astraeapress.com/contact.html

Hope that helps.