What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Now we'll never know > Magic tree another world

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 179 comments Are you thinking of The Lost Years of Merlin series? The Lost Years of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #1) by T.A. Barron

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 10 comments I am just going yo put this out there, but I might be wrong. I immediately thought of the magic tree house series by Mary Pope Osborne.

message 3: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments Darkhenge? There's about half the book before he climbs the tree into the other world, though.

message 4: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle | 5 comments It can´t be it, but since you say do not remember it that well, mentioning this just in case, The Baron in the Trees

message 5: by Hirondelle (new)

Hirondelle | 5 comments In my suggestion, the boy is a teenager (or even younger) through most of the book. It might not be that book, but just saying.

message 6: by Mir (new)

Mir | 712 comments Could it be The Book of Lost Things? The boy doesn't live in the tree, but he goes through it into a magical forest.

message 7: by Wendy (last edited Jul 12, 2011 09:01AM) (new)

Wendy (wendyclarkbooks) | 30 comments Summerland by Michael Chabon? Trees are a portal to a magical world.

message 8: by Flannery (new)

Flannery (flannabanana) | 51 comments Or maybe the Withern Rise series? The first one is A Crack in the Line.

message 9: by Flannery (new)

Flannery (flannabanana) | 51 comments You've checked all these ones out and they aren't it?

message 10: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (lltoo) | 143 comments Do you have *anything* else to go on? About the plot, character name(s), thickness, intended audience, etc.?

message 11: by Flannery (last edited Jul 20, 2011 10:23PM) (new)

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 152 comments Possibly The Alchemyst the main characters end up in a house that is a tree in the middle of the book.

message 13: by Fullfaun (new)

Fullfaun Faun I read a book similar when I was younger but it a scientist with a young brother and sister. When he activated the device he built, since hte bad guys came to steal it, it swapped them in a bubble to another world. and it was a bubble shaped that was cut out of the tree, they landed in and lived in until they can figure out how to get back to earth. There was a 6 legged squirrel that could to any color it wanted to. I remember that much.

And now I am trying to find the name of the book. Switch or Twist or a variation on the word(s).

message 14: by Trent (new)

Trent Cunningham | 24 comments it couldnt be magicians nephew ? eustace goes thru the wood betweem worlds to save polly

message 15: by Cera (new)

Cera Megan, this is a stretch, but Francesca Lia Block's Missing Angel Juan has a girl going to look for her missing boyfriend and finds him living in trees and it's very magical bleeding over into everyday life.

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 48 comments One of the Narnia series has something about a tree in it...and rings are made from it to get you to and from Narnia. I can't remember which one...maybe The Magician's Nephew?

message 17: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 152 comments You could look through this list of books that include symbolic, fantastical, or mythical trees in the story.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/77...

message 18: by Minh-Anh (last edited Sep 02, 2011 08:32PM) (new)

Minh-Anh | 3 comments I'm not exactly sure if this is it, but could it be Operation Redwood? There's nothing magical in it, I don't think, but the boy ran away from home, in a way, and lived in a tree for some time.

message 19: by Rebecca Kent (new)

Rebecca Kent | 6 comments could it be the magic tree house series. it sounds like this.

message 20: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (winterslacker) | 10 comments Bridge to Terabithia? I think there was a tree involved, not sure magical though.

message 21: by LostOne (new)

LostOne (VincetheUndying) | 6 comments Megan wrote: "I think this book was about a boy who ran away from home and ended up in another world living in a magical tree or something but I can't remember that well. Children or young adult."

Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5) by Mary Pope Osborne and the rest of this series perhaps.

message 22: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 2 comments I can't be certain as I haven't read it in a long while myself, but could it be that you are thinking of The Door in the Tree?

It is the second book in a series of four called The Magician's House Quartet.

Ladyofnonsequitur | 6 comments Err... Running away from home and living in a tree reminds me of the My Side of the Mountain Trilogy... though there's no magic involved, just a boy who runs away and lives in a tree.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok I want to ask if it was definitely a boy? Because there's a book that sounds similarThe Ancient One It's about a girl who discovers an old tree and goes through it and ends up either in the past or another world. Published 1992

message 25: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 391 comments The Archives of Anthropos, by John White is a children's Christian fantasy series in which there are magical trees, called Gaal trees, that have rooms inside them. Because they are magical, the room's size is not limited to the size of the tree trunk but is full-size (and not visible from the outside of the tree, even though there are windows in the room). The children who are the main characters are from the 20th century in our world and travel to another world. If this series is by any chance what you are trying to remember, the specific book you want would likely be The Sword Bearer, which has a thirteen-year-old boy as the main character (the other books have multiple children as the main characters) and he does have to defeat some evil characters by the end. Hope this helps--if it's not your book, maybe it'll at least jog your memory. :)

message 26: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 149 comments The Fairies of Nutfolk Wood? It's a girl though...

message 27: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments Fullfaun wrote: "I read a book similar when I was younger but it a scientist with a young brother and sister. When he activated the device he built, since hte bad guys came to steal it, it swapped them in a bubble ..."

Twistor by John Cramer is this one http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2004...

message 28: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 63 comments My Side of the Mountain/On the Far Side of the Mountain

Are you thinking of My Side of the Mountain? Its not magical but the boy does run away from home and live in a tree.

message 29: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 149 comments GreenDaisy the CIA Pirate wrote: "My Side of the Mountain/On the Far Side of the Mountain

Are you thinking of My Side of the Mountain? Its not magical but the boy does run away from home and live in a tree."

See message 42.

Kagama-the Literaturevixen | 602 comments Megan wrote: "I think this book was about a boy who ran away from home and ended up in another world living in a magical tree or something but I can't remember that well. Children or young adult."

Could it be Toby Alone ?

Do you remember when you read the book?

message 31: by Guillermo (new)

Guillermo Romero | 19 comments Could it be the Great Tree of Avalon series? The first book is called Child of the Dark Prophecy . I used to think it was more of a children's book, but now I'm not so sure. Each of the tree's roots is a different kingdom, and I think the characters go onto the branches at some point. Even if it's not the one, check it out. I remember loving it as a kid.

message 32: by Tompopaageo (new)

Tompopaageo | 29 comments Is it 'the Child Thief' by Brom?

message 33: by Myranda (new)

Myranda (myranda_mondry) | 11 comments I read a book like this when I was younger but the main character was a girl. It was called Spellbound or something. I still have it I can check for sure when I get home.

message 34: by Myranda (new)

Myranda (myranda_mondry) | 11 comments All my books are in storage but now I'm curious so I'll get back to you :)

message 35: by Js700 (new)

Js700 | 107 comments Reckless? Reckless

message 36: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2501 comments Mod
Toby, Alone maybe? (posting from phone, can't link) The boy is miniature and lives in a Great Oak tree.

Melissa (ladybug) (ladybugsdoodles) Are you maybe thinking of The Sword of Aradel by Alexander Key?

"The story of a medieval boy and girl who transport themselves 1000 years through time into modern New York City to find a magic sword" to save their world. They do hide in a "magic" druid's tree.

message 38: by Nichola (last edited Mar 23, 2013 08:11AM) (new)

Nichola Davey | 6 comments I know it's been suggested but it does sound like the Enchanted Wood / Magical faraway tree... It's too old to be that one anyway but I am going to dig it out and give it another read.

message 39: by Lou (last edited Mar 23, 2013 05:51PM) (new)

Lou Rocama | 436 comments This is the closest fit I could find:
Tessonta's Tree (There's something about saving a fairy tree in the vast description.)

These two don't quite fit, but I figured I add them in case:
Karan Quma and the Meluha Tree

Sang Spell (this one's rather older, but may have been reprinted, considering the author.)

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments Is it possibly The Wishing Tree by Ruth Chew?

I'm also looking for a book about a boy and a tree, but in this book the boy grows branches and becomes one with the tree at the end of the story. I remember it being rather melancholy.

message 41: by Gabs (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Just for future reference, the link for Ruth Chew's book is The Wishing Tree.

message 43: by Ficie (new)

Ficie | 65 comments In Good People the protagonist believes he has to save a magic kingdom. He often climbs a tree and stays in the treehouse on top; I seem to remember he believes the tree to be magical. He also thinks he can speak to some little people / fairies.

message 44: by Dominic (new)

Dominic | 2 comments Wow. 3 years on and still trying huh? :(
I don't know the title of this book.. but I guess worth a try in case it's the right one. :)
The book I'm thinking of had a world where magic was the norm, and there was a wizard who was a sort of teacher, and had students whom he taught magic. And his son was the one non-magical person in history, and he kept him hidden away through a magic door which lead to an island. (So I guess he hadn't exactly run away). And his son lived in a tree in that world. Is that along the right lines at all?

message 45: by Dominic (new)

Dominic | 2 comments I found it - The Un-Magician?

message 47: by Shaynan (new)

Shaynan | 9 comments The Magic Tree House books maybe?

message 49: by Christina (new)

Christina Eller | 4 comments Fardoor literally about a boy who finds a magic tree that takes him into another world. Him and his cousin eat apples off of it and touch the tree to enter the world. Hope this is it!

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) no response to PM - abandoned...

« previous 1