Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

General > General comments on the newest issue

Comments Showing 1-50 of 124 (124 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Hey! Did you see that Lisa, Stephanie and our Goodreads group are mentioned in Jon's reply to one of the Letters to the Editor in the newest issue? Nice!

message 2: by LynnB (new)

LynnB ...and, I'd like to add that my newest issue looks like a confetti collection with all the post-it's I've added to mark the books I want to read. Great issue!

message 3: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (siobhan59) | 6 comments Not only did I notice, that is how I ended up finding this group! I particularly enjoyed the story of the Palmer Trinity School Book Club, and the Young Adult selections. I really enjoy YA fiction; I think some of the best writers today are writing for that age group. Also the Crime in the Art World section is heavily marked - luckily I have already read some of them.

message 4: by Meera (new)

Meera I noticed it too. How exciting for the two of you :-) I did something very impulsive this week. I ordered the giant back issues. My husband who hates how many books and magazines I keep around surprisingly agreed to the purchase. I love going through the old bookmarks magazines but I've been a subscriber only for this year.

message 5: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Meera, what a splendid idea!

I, too, noticed the nod to our moderators. Very cool, indeed.

message 6: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments One more thing, for those of you Kindle owners...

I look up the books that I am interested in from the magazine and put them on my Kindle wish-list. This way, when browsing at the library, etc., I can easily look for books that have my interest. I'm sure that other e-readers have this same capability (amazon the website has it, too), but I didn't want to be presumptious :)

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 30 comments I have a question, and I hope it is not a silly one, but how do you get this publication? Is it a hard copy?? I have wanted to subscribe to this magazine since I joined this group, but have not asked how to get it.

message 8: by LynnB (last edited Jul 24, 2011 08:25PM) (new)

LynnB Yes it is hard copy. The website is http://www.bookmarksmagazine.com/ and the subscription link is in the upper right corner.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 30 comments thank you so much!!

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments The Sept/Oct 2011 issue rocks! I've already read about 5 of the books reviewed in the new book guide and have at least a dozen more on my TBR.

message 11: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Oh, I hope that mine comes today. I love this magazine.

message 12: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Lisa wrote: "The Sept/Oct 2011 issue rocks! I've already read about 5 of the books reviewed in the new book guide and have at least a dozen more on my TBR."

I'm watching for my issue! Hope it comes today!

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I am hoarding my issue to take to work this week. Every time I look at I have to show restraint.

I am going to be starting a new feature in our book group with this latest issue - it should make its debut early next week, so stay tuned.

I haven't been around much due to a job change and some general craziness. I haven't even been reading a whole lot. I hope to change that very soon!

message 14: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Still waiting for mine (sigh)

message 15: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments It came today! I'm so excited. Many good reads to pick from so far.

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 8 comments I've always picked up an issue at Barnes & Noble when I got the chance, but treat myself & subscribe. This was almost 2 mos ago & I still haven't received an issue. Sent an email a couple of weeks ago & they said my issue was on its way. Has everyone that subscribes here received their Sept/Oct issue?

message 17: by LynnB (last edited Sep 28, 2011 04:18PM) (new)

LynnB Patricia wrote: "I've always picked up an issue at Barnes & Noble when I got the chance, but treat myself & subscribe. This was almost 2 mos ago & I still haven't received an issue. Sent an email a couple of weeks ..."

Mine has come already. I'd email Jon at the magazine. That happened to me once several years ago and he was very quick at getting the problem sorted out.

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Just a reminder to vote on the TWO POLLS for our Oct/Nov group reads. The polls are based on the books in the current issue of Bookmarks (Sept/Oct). There is an option for write-in votes on one of the polls. Voting ends on Sunday night and winners will be posted on Monday.

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 8 comments LynnB wrote: "Patricia wrote: "I've always picked up an issue at Barnes & Noble when I got the chance, but treat myself & subscribe. This was almost 2 mos ago & I still haven't received an issue. Sent an email a..."

I wrote again & was told I would be sent a magazine 10/1. Guess I missed the last one.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Jon, you made my day! I opened the mailbox today and found the newest edition of Bookmarks. Perfect timing, now I can take it to St. Maarten with me tomorrow. I only hope I can hold myself back until then. Better pack it out of sight. :D

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) Which month is that Lisa - Sept/Oct or is there a new one out?

message 22: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Victoria wrote: "Which month is that Lisa - Sept/Oct or is there a new one out?"

The new one just came out. I received it today. Yay! I'm excited to start reading it tonight.

message 23: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Sera wrote: "Victoria wrote: "Which month is that Lisa - Sept/Oct or is there a new one out?"

The new one just came out. I received it today. Yay! I'm excited to start reading it tonight."

I'm watching for mine. Hasn't appeared yet, but East coasters seem to get theirs first and I'm west coast.

message 24: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) Thanks! I'm not sure anyone got our mail today - think I will have to walk out to the mailbox and check!

message 25: by Barb (new)

Barb | 75 comments I'm east coast but haven't received mine yet, I am hopeful for today!

message 26: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I am only a few pages into it and have already identified at least 10 books to add to my TBR.

message 27: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (vicki_c) Mine did come yesterday - so glad I checked the mailbox!

message 28: by LynnB (last edited Oct 22, 2011 07:13AM) (new)

LynnB Sera wrote: "I am only a few pages into it and have already identified at least 10 books to add to my TBR."

That always is a "problem"! lol!

message 29: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments LynnB wrote: "Sera wrote: "I am only a few pages into it and have already identified at least 10 books to add to my TBR."

That always is a "problem"! lol!"

LOL -indeed!

message 30: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I have my copy! My husband took in the mail yesterday and put it where I didn't see it. Will be digging into it immediately.

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy | 4 comments I'm so jealous. Everyone on this list seems to get their copy before I get mine. I bet mine won't come for another week!

message 32: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I received the new issue yesterday, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I can't wait!

message 33: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Sera wrote: "I received the new issue yesterday, but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. I can't wait!"

We'll be voting on books from it at the end of January, so be sure to mark your favorites so you're ready to vote :)

message 34: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Will do. Most of the ones that interested me are non-fiction, which I thought was cool.

message 35: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I just got my new Bookmarks issue, so I just wanted to remind you all to pay attention while reading it as to what you will be wanting to nominate (mid-March for nominations). The books will be read in April/May.

message 36: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I did, too, even though I haven't sunk my teeth into yet. Can't wait!

message 37: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 5 comments I absolutely LOVE the cover of the latest issue!

message 38: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Just got the newest (May/June) issue. I love reading about various parts of the world and different time periods, so the articles about books set in the Caribbean and Ancient Greece are great!

message 39: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I've been working my way through the mag, too, which I had received on Saturday. I would love to go through an Ancient Greece similar to how I am going through a Victorian one this year. Very cool issue.

message 40: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments I just received the latest issue yesterday. Has anyone read it yet?

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I got mine yesterday, too. I briefly skimmed through it. I was excited to see the Bookmarks Selections, because I have several already lined up to read!

message 42: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Nice. I haven't had chance to take a peek yet. Maybe tonight.

message 43: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Mine hasn't come yet...hopefully Monday.

message 44: by Sera (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Have you had a chance to look at the new issue? I just finished reading it. It has a great article on Stephen King and books from the "western" genre. Plus, what look to be some really interesting new books to read.

We'll be taking nominations soon so hopefully you each will find something to contribute that you would like to read.

message 45: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Sera wrote: "Have you had a chance to look at the new issue? I just finished reading it. It has a great article on Stephen King and books from the "western" genre. Plus, what look to be some really interesti..."

I've read about 1/2 of it. I need to pick it up again and finish it.

message 46: by LynnB (new)

LynnB My newest issue (Mar/Apr) just came today. Well, there goes my evening....
:)

message 47: by Sera (last edited Feb 27, 2013 06:02AM) (new)

Sera | 1325 comments Oh good! That means my should be here any day now. Wahoo!

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I received my first issue and, frankly, I wasn't impressed. So much so, that I sent a letter requesting that my subscription be cancelled. Given that I won't be getting the magazine, I'll have to leave the group. Take care everyone!

message 49: by Elle (new)

Elle (elleisforliving) | 54 comments Elizabeth - I wasn't as impressed with this issue as others but, this magazine is like gold to me. These magazines are what stock my reading queue. I always look forward to getting my next edition and enjoy spending hours reading and researching the books to see if they appeal to me. I would recommend you give it a try for a year before you decide and see if you don't feel the same way. L.

message 50: by LynnB (last edited Mar 04, 2013 05:14PM) (new)

LynnB Elizabeth wrote: "I received my first issue and, frankly, I wasn't impressed. So much so, ..."

I'm so sorry to see you didn't care for the first issue you got. Like L, I use this magazine to stock my to-read list. The magazines vary quite a bit by subject, so I find some months more appealing than others, but have yet to not find something I want to read in them. It's a great magazine for eclectic readers. I hope you decide to come back to it!

« previous 1 3