Time Travel discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Member Introductions > New member introduction (old, topic closed)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (new)

Rose | 4 comments Hello,
My name is Rose Daly and I am from New Zealand. I am currently reading Isabelle's Locket by Colleen Mitchell. It is a time-travel novel set in New Zealand in 1910/2010.
Loving it!!
My other favourite time-travel novels are the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series.
Nice to meet you all.
Rose

message 2: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Welcome to the group Rose. Always glad to meet another time travel genre fan. Be sure to check out the thread about our new book club. Would love to have your input.

message 3: by Tej (last edited Jul 31, 2011 12:47PM) (new)

Tej (theycallmemrglass) | 1725 comments Mod
Hi all, My name is Tej but I am just in the ridiculous habit of using TheyCallMeMrGlass as my username, sorry! Anyhow, I have just recently joined Goodreads itself and this is the first group I have joined. I dont think I have to explain why I joined because I am sure its for the same reason as the rest of you! Oh ok...I LOVE TIME TRAVEL stories ;)

I see I have 14 days to read "The Man Who Folded Himself"...I better crack on then, for I am a slow reader ;)

I also see there is a "list your favourite time travel stories" thread so I shall go there and list them...

message 4: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Welcome, Tej. You will have to tell us the story behind "Mr. Glass" sometime.

message 5: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hasley | 2 comments Hello fellow groupies! My name is Jeanette. All good books can transport us, but I love best the ones that take us to other times and back again. I would imagine those of us who found this group, believe that it is more than fashion and architecture differences between the pages and eras. There may be some profound meaning in it--but I can't get past the idea of how fun it would be!

message 6: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Aug 10, 2011 05:43AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Welcome, Jeanette. I think you are absolutely right.

When you get a chance, visit some of the other discussions in this group and let us know about your favorite time travel books and movies.

message 7: by Torie (new)

Torie (keybender) | 3 comments @Rose;
GAHHH!!! I have this huge thing for New Zealand. I want to retire there in a Hobbit Hole! <3

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) | 881 comments Arg! I don't need another group - but I just love this genre and I have no willpower! I also have The Man Who Folded Himself on Mt. TBR so I guess I'll go pull it off and start reading asap!

message 9: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Cheryl. Always glad to have one more time travel fanatic in the group. It sounds like you are involved in many other groups, but I know this will become your new favorite.

message 11: by Tammie (last edited Aug 16, 2011 05:33PM) (new)

Tammie Gibbs (tammieclarkegibbs) | 10 comments Hi everyone!
I'm Tammie Gibbs, I live in South Georgia. I'm a Realtor and an author. I love a little romance with my time travel books. I hope that since I'm seeing some other new faces that maybe this group will get a new lease on life... :)

message 12: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Welcome, Tammie. You mentioned you are an author. Do any of your books involve time travel?

message 13: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Brokaw | 28 comments Hi Steven! Welcome to the group! I'll be sure to check out your book.

message 14: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Gibbs (tammieclarkegibbs) | 10 comments John wrote: "Welcome, Tammie. You mentioned you are an author. Do any of your books involve time travel?"

Actually, my first novel is a Time Travel Romance with Gothic Elements and a lot of suspense. It has a lot of plot which either folks like or hate. The Title is ISLAND OF SECRETS and it's actually on sale for $.99 because I have a new book coming out in the near future and they wanted to get some new interest. It has never been reduced this much before. Thanks for asking about it. The fact is I've read way more Time Travel than written it.

Tammie

message 15: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I am intrigued by the "gothic elements," but I'm not a big fan of romance (even when time travel is involved). But for only 99 cents, you can't go wrong. I might have to check it out.

message 16: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Gibbs (tammieclarkegibbs) | 10 comments John wrote: "I am intrigued by the "gothic elements," but I'm not a big fan of romance (even when time travel is involved). But for only 99 cents, you can't go wrong. I might have to check it out."

Most "guys" that read it actually tend to like the intricate plot, but I warn you - you do have to stay on your toes. One of my best reviews came from a guy who'd read it. I guess a better description would be that it has a love story. Some argue whether it's really a "romance" the way most interpret "romance". I actually got the premise for the book from a weird coat of arms and the "story" behind it I found when reading one of my family history books. Let's just say I embellished a bit but it was already a fascinating story.

message 17: by Sinda (new)

Sinda | 5 comments Hi My name is Eileen. I joined this group last week. Have been reading time travel books for years and years, both the sf type and romantic too. Enjoying the comments. Was able to get Knight in Central Park for free for Kindle thanks to a tip here. It is only .99 now if anyone is still interested.

message 18: by Tammie (new)

Tammie Gibbs (tammieclarkegibbs) | 10 comments Sinda wrote: "Hi My name is Eileen. I joined this group last week. Have been reading time travel books for years and years, both the sf type and romantic too. Enjoying the comments. Was able to get Knight in..."

Thanks for the info. I'd seen that one and thought it sounded interesting.
Tammie

message 19: by Tony (new)

Tony (direidi) | 1 comments Hello. I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now, just to get a feel of this group.

I'm a the owner of Direidi Publishing http://direidi.com. A publishing company who cater to the self-published author. I'm always looking for new authors to publish.

As for time-travel. I love a good time-travel story. I have read a number of them on a Stories On Line site (aka SOL). Some of them I really enjoy and a few I have major issues with.

Those I have issues with deals with being able to take a truckload of supplies back in time including welding gear. Or due to the hero ethics, such as stealing someone else invention.

Otherwise I enjoy a good story.

message 20: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Brokaw | 28 comments Welcome Tony!

message 21: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Michael Lewis (timothymichaellewis) | 101 comments Hi I'm Tim. Hello Everyone!

message 22: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Wow. Nobody's introduced themselves here since 2011. Hello, Tim! Welcome to the group. Jump right into one of our conversations and enjoy!

message 23: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 426 comments Hi Tim, thanks for reviving a dying thread!
I know we have had lost of new members, but I guess they are shy.

message 24: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Heather, maybe they're lost: 'lost of new members'

message 25: by Perry (new)

Perry (perryjbrulotte) | 3 comments Hi. I'm Perry and while I appear to have joined this group yesterday, in reality I joined it next week. :P

message 26: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Michael Lewis (timothymichaellewis) | 101 comments Well I've put it in my phone to say hello to you next week Perry.

message 27: by Nathan, First Tiger (new)

Nathan Coops (icoops) | 544 comments Mod
These guys are clearly good additions to the group. I like them already.

message 28: by Perry (new)

Perry (perryjbrulotte) | 3 comments Yes, I remember getting that greeting next week, Timothy. Thank you in advance for what I remember you will have done.

message 29: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Michael Lewis (timothymichaellewis) | 101 comments But that was me from an alternative universe. Did I have a beard and an evil look in my eye? That would be my evil double...

message 30: by Lincoln, Temporal Jester (new)

Lincoln | 1290 comments Mod
Welcome everyone...Please come in sit down...Have some Cocoa...

Check out the book of month read discussion...Monthly book giveaway. Fun and games...feel free to read, contribute to the discussions...Start your own threads. Just be nice, and have some fun! Also, try not to screw up my current timeline...fixing it its always more difficult then you can imagine.

message 31: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Lincoln wrote: "Welcome everyone...Please come in sit down...Have some Cocoa..."

I came by here for the cocoa, but it seems Perry already came by next week and took it all. We've got to be more forward planning it seems.

message 32: by Chester Hendrix (new)

Chester Hendrix | 17 comments Amy - you shoulda stopped by LAST week and hidden it. ;-)

'Writing is easy - it's editing that will break your back.'

I sure hope someone famous said that. If not, I'm saying it, and I'm sure everyone can relate.

Spent a year on Critter's looking for help, but finally came to the conclusion that if I want to get it done, I've got to do it myself. *sigh*

Came across this group by accident - glad to be amongst fellow time travelers. I've been a junkie since 'BY HIS BOOSTRAPS' by Bob Heinlein - best time travel story ever for my money. Shocked that nobody has ever made a movie of this one.

I'm lousy at social media [not a marketing bone in my body], but I do well at thread-based websites [I've always got *something* to say], so I hope this will go well.

Forcibly retired in 2012, I've turned back to my early passion of writing. I've made my mark in the boardgame publishing world, created a few interesting art pieces, had a song published and finished my first novel [only 260K words]... would like to get started on a fantasy trilogy I have plotted out, but I need to finish my first novel.

Welcome to my nightmare. ;-) I've decided [well... there's a long story behind the word 'decided' there] to do my own editing, but finding beta readers [interesting moniker] has eluded me. Hope to change that here.

My library tends toward more old-school sf/fantasy [plus a ton of military history for wargame research], which I was pleased to see recognized here. Working on finding a group with similar tastes [well, close anyway], but this seemed as good a spot as any to get the ball rolling.

My book? Well, there's this Roman hot spring spa in northern France. A Roman soldier from 44AD, a French Lieutenant from 1804 and a Scottish doughboy from 1914 all settle in for a good soak. 3 eclipses and explosions thrust the boys into Napoleonic France in the summer of 1804 [the Lieutenant doesn't shift]. After the initial shock, they retire to his tent to discover - from a print of the Lieutent's wife - that they are all 3 married to the same woman.

Fate having thrown the switch on the cosmic roller-coaster, the boys are off... interested in finding out more? Any suggestions for the best place to find Beta Readers?

And... anybody know why I can't get a decent fish & chips place within 25 miles of home? :-(

message 33: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Chester wrote: "Amy - you shoulda stopped by LAST week and hidden it. ;-)

'Writing is easy - it's editing that will break your back.'

I sure hope someone famous said that. If not, I'm saying it, and I'm sure ev..."

You're sure to find beta readers here. I should probably set up a thread for that.

Anyone know why I can't find a decent fried chicken place within a couple of hours of here? If I could b just time travel to about 1999, I could solve that problem for myself. Not sure about your fish and chips.

Welcome!

message 34: by Chester Hendrix (new)

Chester Hendrix | 17 comments Amy - when you do, let me know. I've got this book, see... :-)

message 35: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments Amy,

There is only truly excellent fish and chips place in Tulsa, that I know of. I speak of course of Kilkenney's on Cherry Street.

The best fried chicken is served immediately or quickly refrigerated and served chilled with cooled bisquits.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Smith (sarahesmith) | 7 comments Hi,
I'm Sarah. I've been a sci-fi fan ever since I was big enough to hide behind the sofa. I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, Douglas Adams and Jasper Forde. I'm not overly keen on Asimov, and think that Mark Twain's connecticut yankee in king arthur's court is a very underrated scifi book.

In addition to teaching history I also dabble in writing my own alternate historical fiction. But more of that later.

Looking forward to being a member of this group

message 37: by Garrett (new)

Garrett Smith (garrettsmith) | 246 comments Welcome, Sarah.

message 38: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Hi,
I'm Sarah. I've been a sci-fi fan ever since I was big enough to hide behind the sofa. I am a huge fan of Doctor Who, Douglas Adams and Jasper Forde. I'm not overly keen on Asimov, and think th..."

Hi, Sarah. We're happy to have you here. I think you'll find a lot of other members who dabble in writing of some sort. So you're in good company. Feel free to jump into any of our discussions. :-)

message 39: by Roo (new)

Roo (roobarb) Hi, also a newby though not to this genre. I joined in the hopes of finding more. I'm a long time fan of most sci fi stuff, some of my earliest memories and of things like Doctor Who and I am still addicted. I am a book collector both tree and e variety. My home and my two kindles are full. Recently I read April White's books and am itching to read the next, these authors just dont write fast enough; )

message 40: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2210 comments Mod
Roo wrote: "I am a book collector both tree and e variety. My home and my two kindles are full. ..."

I can relate. We were up to 2000 paper books last time we counted 5 years ago. My kindle is pretty stuffed as well.

I'd never heard of April White's series until you mentioned it just now. If they're that good, be sure to nominate the first in the series for our book club at some point.

Welcome to the group, and be sure to join in our discussions as if you're no stranger. :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.