Terminalcoffee discussion

Books / Writing > Have You Ever Read a Self-Help Book that Actually Helped?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I can think of only two that impacted me: The Road Less Traveled and Life 101. On the other hand, I haven't read that many of them.

message 2: by Farrah (new)

Farrah I don't know if this is considered self-help, maybe more spiritual practice but I have gained great insight and understanding from A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose and Reinventing the Body, Resurrecting the Soul: How to Create a New You

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Yeah, some have, at the time. I go back later and they dont have the same impact, which makes sense if they really did their work the first time!

message 5: by Farrah (new)

Farrah Janice wrote: "I got a lot of value out of How to Want what You Have, You Can Heal Your Life, The Five Love Languages: How to Express Heartfelt Commitment to Your Mate, ..."

Five Love Languages is a great book

message 6: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I don't think I've ever read a self-help book, but I've read a few memoirs and non-fiction works that have been helpful or inspirational in my life.

Great Books: My Adventures with Homer, Rousseau, Woolf, and Other Indestructible Writers of the Western World
Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking
Letters to a Young Poet by Ranier Maria Wilke

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments How to Want What You Have is an example. The first time I read it, it was fantastic. I reread it recently and somehow it didn't quite do it for me. Didn't seem as deep as I thought the first time.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) How to Really Love Your Child by Ross Campbell was a book I read as a fairly new parent that really helped,
Also
Cutting Loose-the Adult Guide to Coming to Terms with your Parents

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

If I ever read a self help book I'll let you know.

message 11: by Lori (last edited Jul 05, 2011 05:29PM) (new)

Lori heheh those are the only 2 I read, and now that I think of it, they are probably not even self-help. Prisoners must be psych, and Creative probably meditation.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24100 comments Mod
I don't read much self-help. I read a book about control freaks when I worked with one. It helped me understand her better, but it didn't make her any easier to work with.

message 13: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Every book, as far as I'm concerned, is a self-help book.

message 14: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Every book, as far as I'm concerned, is a self-help book."

Very good point!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Every book, as far as I'm concerned, is a self-help book."

Yes!

message 16: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I third that emotion.

message 17: by Komal (new)

Komal Mehta (komalm) I have read 'The Magic of Thinking Big' and it has helped me. The other one is 'Who will Cry When you Die', is a small handy book, with some good stuff, which I usually browse through whenever I open my cupboard.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Welcome to TC Komal.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments I've read a few. Some made sense, some were rubbish.

I got my ex one entitled How To Make Love To A Woman All Night..And Drive Her Wild.
Sadly, it didn't help.

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) Komal wrote: "I have read 'The Magic of Thinking Big' and it has helped me. The other one is 'Who will Cry When you Die', is a small handy book, with some good stuff, which I usually browse through whenever I op..."

Sounds interesting...

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I don't think I've ever read a book that fits into this genre. I have read books that have helped me. I got out of a depression because of a book I read, some other books just made me more depressed.

message 22: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Five Love Languages helped me see some truths about my marriage that I never understood before I read it.

Another one is The Power of the Other Hand. It talks about writing and drawing with your non-dominant hand and what you can accomplish that way, bringing things out from your unconcious that the other side of the brain censors. It's really an effective way to by-pass the inner censor.

message 23: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments Veronika Decides to Die is a novel--but it helps the reader know what it means to want to live.

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) Leslie wrote: "Veronika Decides to Die is a novel--but it helps the reader know what it means to want to live."
I just added this book to my list. I am anxious to read it. Thanks for the tip.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments You're welcome--I think you will like it.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Leslie wrote: "Five Love Languages helped me see some truths about my marriage that I never understood before I read it.

Another one is The Power of the Other Hand. It talks about writing and drawing with you..."

Okay, would a masturbation joke be too easy here?

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) Of course but will that stop you?

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments LOL

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison (thebookwheel) I read Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Livedjust because I was interested but it actually cleared up a lot of stuff for me.

message 30: by Louise (new)

Louise I haven't read a lot of self-help books, but one that I did read and find helpful was The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment - it has some great exercises on living in the here and now, and not worrying so much about the future/what other's think of you etc - as I have a tendency to do sometimes... It's great to have a few tricks up your sleeve, that can direct your mind in the right direction.

message 31: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3389 comments Not looking for help, I found it by chance in David K. Reynolds's book Playing Ball on Running Water. His philosophy: The only control you have in life is of your actions in the present moment. Ask yourself what needs to be done now and do it.

And, as Yoda said, "Do or do not . . . there is no try."

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Angela wrote: "I've read a few. Some made sense, some were rubbish.

I got my ex one entitled How To Make Love To A Woman All Night..And Drive Her Wild.
Sadly, it didn't help."

Maybe you should have read it first to find out if it was what you wanted.

message 33: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I was looking over friends' reviews today, and was reminded of a book that was probably one of the most "helpful" books I've ever read. My first year of marriage took some major adjusting and was a really difficult time for me, but I read the essay collection The Bitch in the House: 26 Women Tell the Truth About Sex, Solitude, Work, Motherhood, and Marriage, and it helped me deal with it like no person--short of a professional therapist--could have. Seeing all of the different perspectives, and how common it is to struggle with even the little things made it one of the best reading experiences of my life.

message 34: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) Leslie wrote:
Another one is The Power of the Other Hand. It talks about writing and drawing with you..."

is this the book leslie? The Power of Your Other Hand : A Course in Channeling the Inner Wisdom of the Right Brain

Reading the title i would think this book is directed at right handers. I wonder.....how it would be if you were left handed and already accessing your right brain.

message 35: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments BunWat wrote: "Brain researchers say that whole left brain right brain thing is one of those examples of pop science grabbing hold of an idea and running amok with it until it becomes completely unrecognizable."

My FIL had a stroke a few weeks ago. He is in rehab, trying to regain use of his right arm and right leg. The nurses say he has to train the right side of his brain to control the right side of his body -- a job that is normally done by the left side of his brain.

message 36: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys Works with girlfriends and family, too. The audio book is better because it is funny.

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 74 comments Why WE Suck-- Dennis Leary...not so much a self help book, but it is true on many levels........ The Shack was a very inspirational one for me, I also read "Co-Dependent No More" then recommended it to quite a few people....it was very informative

message 38: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 74 comments Catherine wrote: "It's probably uncool to say this here but I'll say it because it was shoved down my throat as a child and some core principles have stayed with me as I've aged; the Bible."

agreed!!! It has worked for me!!

message 39: by Michael (new)

Michael Wash (michaelwash) On the subject of the effectiveness of self help books I would really appreciate some feedback on the self help book I have published this week - a review would be brilliant - it's called 54 Simple Truths - how to Face the Challenges of Life by Michael Wash - I can provide the links and promo code for a free down load copy - more info on the usual retail books site - I know this is a risk given the comments in the discussion thread but hey - in for a pound? Thanks

message 40: by Misha (last edited Jun 18, 2013 01:40PM) (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) Argh!

We do not allow self-promotion by people who have never participated in the group before. Hie thee away before I unleash my Flame Thrower of Magnificent and Excruciating Death.

message 41: by Michael (new)

Michael Wash (michaelwash) OK - just looking for genuine feedback but I can get it elsewhere - no problems thanks anyway.

message 42: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) You're welcome to stay and participate in the group. There are many fine people and interesting discussions you might enjoy. We just generally frown on self-promotion until we get to know someone (and it seems to happen a lot, hence my ire).

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael Wash (michaelwash) Thanks Misha - I understand and will keep an eye on developments

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments ::pouts::

I wanted to see Misha's flame thrower.

message 45: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) It's also handy at a cookout.

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael Wash (michaelwash) OK now I get the message - well done!!

message 47: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Lovely!

Nice apron, too.

message 48: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I hope you like your meat well-done.

*Waits for Phil*

message 49: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I like it charred to a crisp and then given to the dog.

::smiles sweetly::

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael Wash (michaelwash) Having now receieved this post 5 times I wonder what the real message is?

« previous 1