Start by marking “Chicken Soup for the Soul” as Want to Read:
Chicken Soup for the Soul

Chicken Soup for the Soul

Two of America's best-loved inspirational speakers share the very best of their collected stories and favorite tales that have touched the hearts of people everywhere. Canfield and Hansen bring you wit and wisdom, hope and empowerment to buoy you through life's dark moments.
Published July 1st 2001 by HCI (first published 1993)

Start your review of Chicken Soup for the Soul
mark monday
Nov 25, 2012 marked it as unread-forever
¡REVIEW #500!

one fine summer day, young mark monday - aged 4 or 5 - was tooling around the neighborhood on his Big Wheel. he was a happy lad and liked to make others around him feel happy too. this outlook soon saw its first challenge when he wheeled up to his friend Tommy - who looked miserable and had clearly been crying.

"What's the matter, Tommy?"

"Dad's going away!"

young mark monday was a military brat and so was Tommy, so mark knew exactly how he felt. he had felt the same way, many times. b
Leftbanker
Jan 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: memoir
This series of books have the same tone as those cynical, anti-intellectual mega-church TV preachers who wear $30,000 wristwatches and claim to have all of the answers to your existence. If every story in this book isn't 100% fabrication, I'm certain that they have been generously embellished (sort of the same thing as fabricated).

Spoiler Alert! Your prayers are never answered; for every happy ending there are countless unhappy stories. Everyone dies, sooner or later. You can kid yourself about
Ladan
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok

One of those books which forces one to think positive even if one is 100% doomed to failure, extinction, defeat, or death
Lisa Ryan
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection of short-stories. They are inspirational, motivational, and beautifully written. Many made me cry, which is also very cathartic.

The real magic behind the Chicken Soup Series is knowing the effort that Jack Canfield put into the promotion of this book before it became popular. After being turned down 144 times, he persisted. He is a model of passionately pursuing your dreams until they are realized.

I also had the chance to meet Jack Canfield at the premiere of the Keeper o
Beata R
Aug 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
About as spiritually enriching as the inspirational quotes you find on packets of instant oatmeal. If Nicholas Sparks were a motivational speaker, he would have churned out these tepid pieces of crap while bingewatching "Touched by an Angel."
Nancy
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book was given out at work. Very readable and unoriginal. I'm far too cynical to enjoy and find deep meaning in stories like these.
Emma
Mar 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am done with self-help mumbo-jumbo... Don't tell me another story about this person who achieve this without giving me names, dates and factual evidence that is referenced!
Joolz
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once started, couldnt put it down! A real heart warmer, lifted my spirits no end, even when I didnt realise it needed lifting. TBH, it restored my faith in mankind, esp after watching the news all the time. This would also make a great gift for a reader or any genre, if they dont like it, then there must be something wrong with them! Many a time i found myself laughing out loud, crying to myself or just stopping to think to myself at the though-provoking story I had just read. Will definately re ...more
Bogdan
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Everyone finds his own interpretation of the information read here. If you seek for answers or opinions you will find them rather different. I liked the book a lot and will turn back to it many times more in the future.
Richard
This is a really odd book. Although I really liked a few of the stories, many of them seemed engineered to make the reader dab at the eyes with a tissue. The act of giving out hugs to randomly chosen strangers has been elevated nearly to the status of a religion. And as warmly as I feel toward some of my friends here on Goodreads, I'm just not a very spontaneous hugger. *Sigh*
Patrick Gibson
Nov 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: snorgasm
“Two seeds lay side by side in the fertile spring soil.

The first seed said, “I want to grow! I want to send my roots deep into the soil beneath me, and thrust my sprouts through the earths crust above me…”

And she grew.

The second seed said, “I am afraid. If I send my roots into the ground below, I don’t know what I will encounter in the dark. If I push my way through the hard soil above me I may damage my delicate sprouts.”

And so she waited.”

MORAL OF THE STORY: Seeds can’t talk, jerkoff. And havi
Garden of Eden
Oct 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I remember reading this when I was still a young girl. I was a school librarian back then so I often read any Chicken Soup books. Sounds like I was slacking off huh. xD anyways I remember liking it as a young girl. It's a food for thoughts.
Travis
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I think the best thing in this book is the section about John Goddard, a kid who sits down and makes a "life's list" or a "bucket list" as it was popularized by the movie. And that kid did some absolutely amazing things! I was blown away, and still make copies of that story to share with teens when I teach them. It strongly influenced my habit of setting goals and trying to keep track of the adventures that I do have. But to be honest, I can't remember many (any?) of the other stories.
sologdin
Mar 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Douchey crap. These kind of platitude-laden opiates really do more harm in lowering the IQ of readers than in any salving they might accomplish.
Rachel
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've heard a lot about this book over the years and always imagined it would be soppy clap trap, but I actually really enjoyed it! I think I have to admit to myself that I love a feel good story- I suppose I've always thought it "un-cool" to like this kind of feel good, happy hopeful book, but as I get older (yes, I know, I'm only 25) I realise that what's cool doesn't matter, and if it makes you feel good- why not read it! I admit I cried whilst reading this book. If you're a cynic like I was g ...more
Hiba Arrame
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I couldn't get myself to sleep before finishing up all of the stories included in this book, it was an amazing experience, and I'm really thankful to the professor who had recommended it to me, it's a book that holds in it that hope that we all need to reassure us that there's still beauty and goodness out there waiting to be discovered, that within ourselves are hold much more capacities than we think we have.
I think that this book should be read by every soul longing to peace and divine beauty
Ashwini
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Though I prefer reading novels than short stories, some of the stories in this book were simply touching. While some change the way I look at things, some actually made me wonder if miracles are for real.. Must say, this book was well compiled!
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: how-to, inspirational
I honestly didn't find this book inspirational - just incredibly hokey. In fact, it could be compared to The Teletubbies (both are incredibly lame). The only thing it's good for is passing the time and I think I'll be avoiding this series from now on.
Yamna
What a beautiful book. It was such a humbling experience to read all those stories :)
yanitta☏
Jul 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
I have no idea what Chicken Soup for the Soul is about, but I was rewatching Friends: TOW Chandler can’t cry, and I’ve got to read this book!
Cassandra Kay Silva
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
I read this. I admit it. It was awhile ago and someone gave it to me for free. It's absolutely not my style and pretty stupid.
Esmeralda
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great read, in general very inspiring. Help you to keep your life on track. Should probably be read a few times per year for maximum effect.
Lotte Houghton
Jun 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
One day, Justin Bieber saw a kid fall to the ground and asked his bodyguard to help him up. He then looked at the kid in the eye and said "If you learn to get up after falling over and not give up on your dreams, you can do anything that you want". And do you know who that little boy grew up to be? Albert Einstein

This is basically the book, some of the affirmations and messages of the stories were nice enough to even go through to the cynical heart of an auld woman like me. I liked the title an
Elizabeth Grieve
Not sure how I feel about this book, and was not inclined to read all the way through. It's the first (and only) one of this series I have looked at, and it doesn't really appeal. Perhaps it's more for American tastes, and I am just a cynical Brit. I can see that it's a good thing to have a book of inspirational stories, but I can't help thinking that they may be no more than fiction, and a clever marketing idea has made these books the best-sellers they are.

However, cynicism aside, if some read
Unfortunately, I had to throw this book away after reading it. I'd worn it out. Whole sections could no longer be held together with tape.

Even though this was a re-reading, and many of the stories have become wayyyyyyy too familiar over the years (the starfish story), the stories still had the power to make me cry... even in front of my students (who were silently reading their own versions of Chicken Soup).

I'm buying a new copy for next year.
Don
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
A few good messages, but most of the stories sound contrived to me.
Adriana Espada leyton
3.75

Beautiful stories! I highly recommend this book =)
Noor Abu Hassan
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must Read. Enjoyed it. Hope I read it younger💗
Brenda A
I don't really remember the stories anymore, but I liked it when I read it in elementary school!
Anna
May 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
The reason I wanted to read this book is because I remember enjoying a book from this series as a teen. I remember wanting to read every book in this series.

Reading it now? I'm not so sure. These are nice stories, but I don't really gain anything more from them than a small smile.

I feel that this book would not be as popular if it came out in the 21st century because it lacks cynicism. I don't even find it that helpful or reassuring in a global pandemic.

The 'Live your dreams' section irritated m
short stories 1 1 Apr 27, 2020 02:41PM
Goodreads Librari...: Format correction 3 15 Feb 07, 2019 01:59PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Missing co-author ? 6 21 Jul 31, 2018 04:32PM
Let's Read Togeth...: Ep. 36 - Chicken Soup for the Soul with Mike Guild 1 4 Aug 31, 2015 08:28PM
Here with the champ congrats you look incredible 1 3 Jun 05, 2015 10:39PM
Incorporated a lodging venture a cleaning plant and a few 1 1 Jun 04, 2015 04:00AM

• A Second Chicken Soup For The Woman's Soul
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things From Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
  • Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential
  • Self Matters: Creating Your Life from the Inside Out
  • Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
  • Success: Why You Fail Where Others Succeed - 5 Life-Changing Personal Development Tips You Wish You Knew (Success Principles Book 1)
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Past Lives, Future Healing
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment
  • He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
  • دون كيشوت
  • Body Language. What their Body is Saying But their Mouths are not Telling You. Free Guide.: The ultimate free guide to Speed Reading Body Language Easily
  • The Other Side and Back

Canfield received a BA in Chi

News & Interviews

“Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try.” 378 likes
“There is no right reaction. There is only your reaction.” 45 likes