Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > 7/4 What are you reading this first week of July?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Happy 4th of July to those of you in the US!

I've got a few books going right now. The Circus Fire: A True Story of an American Tragedy, Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman, and My Name is Mary Sutter. Where Men win Glory is really excellent.

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Stacey, I really liked Mary Sutter.

I am reading The Girl in the Blue Beret, and it is very good so far. Mason also wrote In Country, one of my all time favorite novels.

I just finished The Three Weissmanns of Westport. It was very short so I stuck with it, but thought it was pretty bad.

message 3: by Liz (new)

Liz I really liked My Name is Mary Sutter too. I'm almost finished reading Disturbance. Next up is Dead Reckoning - really looking forward to it.

message 4: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Theresa wrote: "Stacey, I really liked Mary Sutter.

I am reading The Girl in the Blue Beret, and it is very good so far. Mason also wrote In Country, one of my all time favorite no..."

You got further that I did on the Westport book. I could not finish. I tossed it aside early on.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments I'm reading Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen. I like it so far; this is the first Quindlen that I'm reading.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary | 236 comments Melissa, if you end up liking Rise and Shine and Anna Quindlen's writing in general, be sure to give Every Last One by her a look.

message 7: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Stacey wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Stacey, I really liked Mary Sutter.

I am reading The Girl in the Blue Beret, and it is very good so far. Mason also wrote In Country, one of my all ti..."

I still don't know why I bothered to finish the Westport book. I kept thinking I should just take it back to the library, but this may have been a case where the book was so bad I couldn't tear myself away.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments Mary wrote: "Melissa, if you end up liking Rise and Shine and Anna Quindlen's writing in general, be sure to give Every Last One by her a look."

Thanks, I do like her writing style. I'll check that one out too. I also picked up Blessings from a used book sale, so that's on my TBR list too.

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I'm still reading Garden Spells and I'm struggling a bit. It's not what I thought it would be. I wanted a little more food talk and admittedly, a little more depth. Too romance-y for me.

It's been rather a whirlwind week so I'm hoping this week will give me more time to read. I think I need something gripping so I might move to The Hypnotist.

message 10: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) I'm still working on Lamb by Christopher Moore. Also, had to pick up Cell by Stephen King.

message 11: by Elise (new)

Elise Melissa, I hope you like Anna Quindlen. She's one of my favorites. Blessings, IMHO, wasn't one of her better ones. I agree w/Mary, do try Every Last One.

I'm doing a quick re-read of Shanghai Girls for my RLBC meeting next week. I finished Queen of Palmyra. It was good, but very sad. My heart broke for that little girl and the neglect she endured.

message 12: by Annika (new)

Annika Laurel - I can't wait to hear what you think of The Hypnotist. It's certainly getting some great buzz.

I'm having a hard time choosing. I just finishedLive Wire and I liked it well enough but didn't love it as I usually do with the Myron Bolitar series. Now I'm waffling back and forth on what i want to read.

message 13: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) Laurel wrote: "I'm still reading Garden Spells and I'm struggling a bit. It's not what I thought it would be. I wanted a little more food talk and admittedly, a little more depth. Too romance-y f..."

I've got this one on hold - but it might be a looongg wait!

message 14: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda_d) I just finished Mistress Shakespeare and I've got Freedom out again to try to finish.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol (actutor) It's been a crazy week with a surprise party, and both kids here. I am trying to read Started Early, Took My Dog. With all of the running around, I am trying to read it in my spare time.

message 16: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I'm still reading The Magicians and loving it. I'm more than halfway through and expect to be finished in a few days. Next up will either be its sequel, The Magician King (coming out next month), or Still Missing.