Goodreads Developers discussion

bugs > API Inconsistent ISBN Return

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Joseph | 2 comments I apologize if this isn't actually a bug but it definitely seems weird to me. Only one person will be able to test this before it works normally but I will keep posting ISBNs that cause this behavior if needed till an admin or GR developer can look at it.

For whatever reason certain ISBNs will return a "book not found" error when calling from the API (this endpoint: http://www.goodreads.com/book/isbn?fo...). I will get this error:

book not found

The odd thing is, I will then search for that ISBN from the web front end (the search bar at the top of the normal main site) which will then return a book result. From here if I reload the exact same API call I did above then I will get results returned. This seems confusing to me but maybe its part of the desired results? Maybe there is caching or something going on? I'm not sure if i've done anything wrong with my API key or my usage so far but I can send that to an admin if they think that might be the issue.

If you want to try this and you are the first person to see this, here is one ISBN you could test: 9781588368850. I don't want to waste all of my test cases so let me know if you want me to post more :) Thank you guys! Love GR and its API, really awesome stuff!

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) Hmm, is this still happening?

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Joseph | 2 comments Unfortunately I can't find the list of test cases that was causing this behavior anymore, it was definitely a weird one.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) We can't show a lot of data in our API due to terms of service agreements with our two biggest data partners (Barnes and Noble, and Amazon), but looking at the data, this search should work.