You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Janice's Reporting Thread

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jun 25, 2012 07:53AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Month 1 Birthday Month: Not only is this book set my my birth month, the title IS my birthday! December 6
Month 2 Birthstone Colour: The Condition
Month 3 Published in 1954: Contempt
Month 4 Canadian Author: Alone in the Classroom
Month 5 Country I'd like to visit: New Zealand The Bone People
Month 6 Favorite Genre: Horror The Little Stranger
Month 7 Author name: Tomato Rhapsody: A Novel of Love, Lust, and Forbidden Fruit
Month 8 Rose or Pansy: The Postmistress
Month 9 Longest on TBR: The Stonor Eagles
Month 10 Favorite animal:Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl
Month 11 Memoir/Biography: On Writing
Month 12 Issue/Cause: Women, Food, and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything
Bonus Task Hobby: The Aloha Quilt

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments As soon as I saw that book, I knew I had the title for the challenge. I found it on Amazona and put it in my shopping cart to purchase later. Yesterday, I went to order it and it was removed from my cart with the note that it is no longer available. :( I've looked other places and can't find it, so will have to pick another book.

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments No, but that's a good suggestion! Thanks Anna

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I found it on eBay along with another book on my list. Thanks again Anna!

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I had to switch out my Month 4, Canadian Author selection. I started listening to the audiobook Under Heaven and really struggled with staying focused on it. I'm not sure if it was the content or the narrator but I found myself zoning out and then rewinding.

Our book club is reading Alone in the Classroom by Elizabeth Hay who is Canadian. May as well combine tasks. :)

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I hope it's good. We read one of her other novels, Late Nights on Air and it was a bit of a sleeper.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Good for you for not being stubborn on Under Heaven.

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I've got too many books to read to waste time on something I'm struggling with. I started listening to The Good Earth. I haven't had to rewind it once. The narrator is very expressive with his voice and articulates extremely well. It sure makes a difference.

message 9: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments The good earth is one of my favourites too.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments One down, 12 to go. LOL!

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Whoot!

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Yeah! I finally finished another book from my list. Let's see, that's two completed and we started in July. I'm a book behind.

I just finished Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl and my review is here.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I just finished Tomato Rhapsody: A Novel of Love, Lust, and Forbidden Fruit. The writing style is a refreshing change.

My review is here.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I added Tomato... It looks creative.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Just don't be throwing any rotten tomatoes at me if you don't like it. :)

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) heh

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Yeah! One more crossed off the list: December 6. My review is here: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Thanks to our TBR Toppler, I was able to cross two books off my list. I finished On Writing. My review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I've managed to get this challenge on track. I was behind a bit. How about you?

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments One more has been crossed off my list - The Postmistress

My review is here

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I started reading my first choice for Book 2: Birthstone, The Turquoise Ledge: A Memoir and couldn't finish it. I've substituted The Condition. The cover is the colour of turquoise.

The Condition by Jennifer Haigh

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Me too! It's one of my favourite colours. There's a listopia dedicated to turquoise.

message 23: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Just scrolling down that list is eye candy. :)

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments One more crossed off my list. I finished The Condition. It wasn't what I was expecting. My friend's granddaughter was born with Turner's Syndrome. This book was about a family dealing with their daughter being diagnosed with Turner's. I wasn't expecting such a dysfunctional family. The "condition" was more about the dysfunction and not about Turner's Syndrome.

Robin (Saturndoo) (scoobydoo0811) WTG!!!!! : ) Happy New Year!!

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Thanks! Happy New Year to you too Robin. :)

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Dunnehoff | 5 comments Happy New Year, everyone, and Happy Reading!

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I can't stand reading about dysfunctional families. My New Year's wish for you, Janice, is that the rest of your challenge books are 4 or 5 star reads!

message 29: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Thanks Cheryl - and no more dysfunctional families. :)
Have a great year!

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Four more books to go! I finished reading Contempt which was published the year I was born. It was appropriately named. :(

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I deserve a special award for getting through that one!

message 32: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10088 comments Judy wrote: "Janice wrote: "Four more books to go! I finished reading Contempt which was published the year I was born. It was appropriately named. :("

Hahaha I read your review."

Me too. ☻

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Three more books to go:

Month 5 - The Bone People: A Novel
Month 9 - The Stonor Eagles
Bonus Book - The Aloha Quilt

I might just do it! :)

message 34: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Janice wrote: "Yeah! I finally finished another book from my list. Let's see, that's two completed and we started in July. I'm a book behind.

I just finished Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Ow..."

I thought this book was a fun read too. The pictures of Wesley were adorable!

message 35: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I finished the book that I've had on my physical shelf the longest - The Stonor Eagles. I bought the book many years ago after reading Duncton Woods by the same author - William Horwood. Every now and again, I would spot it on the shelf and feel guilty that I hadn't read it. I was quite moved by the plight of the sea eagles, and I'm so glad that I finally read it, even though I whined and complained about how long it took me to read through it. Here's my review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I have two books left to read - country I would like to visit, and the bonus book.

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Yes, I'm thrilled to have it finished and checked off my lists.

I may rethink my Favorite country book. It's New Zealand and I chose The Bone People - another door stopper. I understand that it is not an easy read, either.

message 37: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments That was my choice too for the country and it's still outstanding. And time is running out. Eek.

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I finished the bonus book on hobbies with The Aloha Quilt. I just have one to go! Yeehaw!

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Yabba-dabba-doey! I'm done!

message 40: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments Yay!

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Thanks! I'm still doing my happy dance. :)

message 42: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments I'm dancing to James Brown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuDeBc...

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments Nope. The song ended, and I stopped so I could start reading another book.

message 44: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8271 comments Hooray Janice!

But I think you'd be better off listening to a book while dancing, if you dance like I do your book wouldn't be able to keep up with your eyes jumping around :) Although if you do learn to dance while you read, will you post a video on youtube for us?

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47984 comments jaxnsmom wrote: "Hooray Janice!

But I think you'd be better off listening to a book while dancing, if you dance like I do your book wouldn't be able to keep up with your eyes jumping around :) Although if you do..."

Yeah, I'll get right on that. LOL!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.