You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Closed Discussion Topic > Year Long Challenge Reporting Instructions

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Jan 22, 2012 07:28PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48726 comments Our year long challenge begins today!

Reporting:

Each participant will start his/her own thread in this folder. There are three ways of doing this.

1) You can preplan and list what books you are going to read. As you complete them, cross them off the list by using the stike text instructions in "some html is ok" above the comment section. Please use the 'add book/author' links to your books.

2) You can add the books to your list as you complete them.

3) You can do a combination of the two. This is the option I plan on using.

You may comment on each other's threads.

Rules:

This challenge is "Getting to Know You", so please keep this in mind when interpretting the tasks.

1. Start reading July 1, 2011 and finish reading June 30, 2012.

2. There are twelve tasks, one per month. People may join in any time during the year and they will have to catch up. To make it fair to everyone, as long as you complete each task, the book a month is not a rigid rule. You may complete more than one book a month, and have some months where you don't read any books.

3) You do not need to read your books in the same order as the tasks.

4) You will read 12 books. That means you cannot apply one book to more than one task.

5) All formats of books are accepted - hardcover, paperback, ebook, audiobook.

Tasks

Month 1: Read a book that is set in your Birthday Month, or has the name of the month in the title.

Month 2: Read a book that has your Birthstone in the title, is about your birthstone, or the cover is the colour of your birthstone. Birthstones as listed here http://www.galleries.com/minerals/births...

Month 3: Read a book that was originally published in the year you were born. The version you read may be a subsequent publication.

Month 4: Read a book written by an author from your country.

Month 5: Read a book set in a country you'd like to visit.

Month 6: Read a book from your favorite genre.

Month 7: Read a book written by an author who shares your first or last name.

Month 8: Read a book that has your favorite flower either on the cover or in the title.

Month 9: Read the book that has been on your TBR list the longest.

Month 10: Read a book that has your favorite animal or bird on the cover.

Month 11: Read a memoir or biography of someone you admire.

Month 12: Read a book about an issue/cause that is meaningful to you.

EDIT - BONUS TASK

I was just sitting out on the deck and realized that there isn't a task that addresses hobbies. So, I decided to add a bonus task: Read a book about your hobby or a sport you love.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments I think you mean June 30, 2012. I shall be joining. ^_^

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I can't believe we didn't catch that. Me, especially, as I'm generally very sensitive.

Welcome aboard!

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments XD It happens all the time to me.

Thank you! Now to find acceptable books-- I can't read anything published after 1923 ithout paying money... and money is not being spent on books atm because of our trip.

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48726 comments You were the first one to pick up on that typo, Maria. I will fix it. :)

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments Glad I could help!

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments I don't know, it's an emoticon I found on a website and I use it as a sort of 'chuckle.' I chuckle a lot.

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48726 comments Judy wrote: "Maria, what does XD mean?"

I think it means extra large smile. I'm not 100% sure though.

message 9: by Hazel (new)

Hazel | 18 comments Since I am new to this group, I can't wait to join in on the next Year long challenge :) since I have caught the tail end of this one!

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria (aminowrimo) | 463 comments Ack, it ends in June! I guess that I'll have to find a person I admire and then a meaningful issue or cause, then read all the books in English in June. I'm not sure about how many books you can read in 2.5 months, Hazel, but you could always try!

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48726 comments There will be badges awarded for participants in the challenge. I may just have a few surprise ones, like "I Gave It The Good Ol' College Try" award for those who started late. Just maybe! LOL!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.