Mock Newbery 2023 discussion

Newbery 2012 > BEA, ALA, and arcs

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimdare) | 11 comments I didn't get to attend BEA, but just got back from ALA with lots of wonderful arcs. Brian Selznick has done it again with Wonderstruck... I enjoyed it even more than Hugo Cabret. Officially comes out in September... will look forward to hearing what the rest of you think if you're able to snag an arc or read it then. I think it's definitely a contender in both Newbery and Caldecott. Any other good sneak peeks of upcoming titles??
Kim

message 2: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 11 comments I'm so curious to look at Wonderstruck. As I understand it, one of the stories is all pictures, and the other all text. So that means you could, in theory, just read the text and get a complete narrative, right? In which case-- would it maybe be eligible for Newbery in a way Hugo wasn't?

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimdare) | 11 comments It's two intertwining stories-- Ben's, set in 1977, is primarily told through text; and Rose's, set in 1927, is primarily told in pictures. The two stories come together at the end with a mix of text and illustration. I never heard that Hugo wasn't eligible for the Newbery... I was always under the impression that both committees were reviewing it, and they're not allowed to talk to each other, so technically it could have been awarded both :-) But if that's not correct, someone jump in and tell me!

message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel | 11 comments I thought the deal with Newbery was that the images couldn't be considered in evaluating the book. Maybe I'm wrong! (I'm often wrong)

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 13 comments The criteria for the Newbery specifically states: "The committee is to make its decision primarily on the text." In a book like Hugo, where the pictures are such an integral part of the story, it is difficult, if not impossible, for the text to stand on its own.

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 89 comments Kim wrote: "I didn't get to attend BEA, but just got back from ALA with lots of wonderful arcs. Brian Selznick has done it again with Wonderstruck... I enjoyed it even more than Hugo Cabret. Officially comes..."
Our local indy bookstore brought me a few arcs and I absolutely loved Wonderstruck. I think the storyline is a bit more complicated than Hugo Cabret, but that is not a negative, and I do think it deserves award consideration. I have also really liked
Dead End in Norvelt and Liesl & Po.