Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > Mosey on up to the bar and leave a quote, Pardner!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) I reckon you should leave a quote here iffen you know what's good for you. Don't worry, there's plenty enough room in this here town for everyone's quotes, so don't be lettin the tumbleweeds take over this thread!

message 2: by Susan (last edited Jul 06, 2011 05:30PM) (new)

Susan | 3405 comments Mod
from Cry Dance:

Inside the car again, Emmett followed the gravel road northeast, past the last shack, up onto a ridge covered with creosote bushes. The spindly branches were flailing against the ground, and the sky was flecked with airborne trash off the freeway.
"Answer me something," Turnipseed said, lifting her chin.
"I'll try." ...
"If Stephanie was having a romp, why'd she register in her own name?"

message 3: by Lynne (last edited Jul 09, 2011 03:36PM) (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) A few quotes from The Ox-Bow Incident:

It's queer how deeply a guy like Gus CAN be cut when he does take anything seriously. (from page 14)

None of man's temples, none of his religions, none of his weapons, his tools, his arts, his sciences, nothing else he has grown to, is so great a thing as his justice, his sense of justice. The true law is something in itself; it is the spirit of the moral nature of man; it is an existence apart, like God, and as worthy of worship as God. If we can touch God at all, where do we touch him save in the conscience? And what is the conscience of any man save his little fragment of the conscience of all men in all time? (from page 67)

In my dozing, I'd been remembering a story I'd heard once about the Flying Dutchman, and wondering vaguely if that was the way we were gettin. It mad a fine picture, twenty-eight riders you could see through on twenty-six horses and two mules nothing but bones, riding around forever through snowstorms in the mountains, looking for three dead rustlers thay had to find before their souls could be at peace. (from page 194)

Gil was drinking like he was just a pipe through the floor. (from page 308)

message 4: by Susan (new)

from The Sea of Grass:

At the first sound of morning I was up pulling on my clothes in the darkness and drinking coffee in the kitchen to escape the breakfast-table, and lending a hand in the starlight to the hitching of the teams. And when I came back to the long dark hall, I glimpsed in a candle-lighted room, framed like a picture by the heavy doorway, Lutie Brewton, suited, hatted, and one hand gloved, sitting with three sleeping youngsters in their nightgowns about her. And I heard her promising in that clear, delightful, fun-loving voice she always used to children, that she would see them all sooner than soon and would have a double present for each one that Black Hetty should say had been a little lady or gentleman.

message 5: by Susan (new)

from {b:The Thirteenth Child|5797595]:

Everyone was excited about fourth grade. Our very first class was with Miss Ochiba, who taught most of the classes in magic at the day school. For fourth grade, that meant theory and background; we wouldn't be doing actual spells until we were ten.

message 6: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 66 comments From High Country Bride (McKettrick Cowboys, #1):

"What?" she asked, a mite testily, perhaps. She'd used most of her self-control just getting past the rattlesnake experience, and now she was sitting on a horse's back for the first time in her life. This was a morning worth of an entry in her remembrance book, and it would make a fine contrast to ones she had written in Kansas City, such as, "Went to the library" and "Saw Mary Alice's father on the streetcar."

She heard Rafe's chuckle. "Take it easy," he counseled. "Anybody who can jump onto an outhouse seat with their britches around their ankles can stay on an old mare with no trouble at all."

message 7: by Susan (new)

from The Burning Hills

Considering that, he went around the ruin to the way up used by Maria Cristina. It was a steep slide of talus in a wide crack in the rock wall but as she had made no sound ... he saw it then, a narrow ledge, only inches wide, along the edge of the rock slide.

He returned to the spring and drank deep and long. He never seemed to get enough water. A gentle wind stirred and he caught a whiff of wood smoke. They were still out there, just across the canyon, waiting for him to make a mistake.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 90 comments from My Ántonia p 46

The cold stung, and at the same time delighted one. My horse's breath rose like steam and whenever we stopped he smoked all over. The cornfields got back a little of their colour under the dazzling light and stood the palest possible gold in the sun and snow. All about us the snow was crusted in shallow terraces, with tracings like ripple marks at the edges, curly waves that were the actual impression of the stinging lash in the wind.

Very evocative!

message 9: by Susan (new)

from The Ox-Bow Incident

"This sorta thing's gotta stop," Winder said, "no matter who's doin' it."
"It has," Davies agreed. "But we don't know how many of them there are; or which way they went, either. There's no use going off half-cocked."
"What the hell way would they go?" Winder asked him. "Out the south end by the draw, wouldn't they? There ain't no other way. They wouldn't head right back up this way, would they, with the whole place layin' for them? You're damn shootin' they wouldn't."

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2801 comments Mod
From True Grit

"What are bushwackers?"

"I don't know. That is what they called us. Anyway, we was not easy about that Kansas major. We didn't know that he would lock us up or worse, us having rode with Bill Anderson and Captain Quantrill. Potter lifted a revolver from a office and we lit out that night on two government mules. I am still traveling on that one-day parole and I reckon that jayhawker is waiting yet. Now our clothes was rags and we didn't have the price of a plug of tobacco between us. About eight mile outside town we run into a Federal captain and three soldiers. They wanted to know if they was on the right road for Kansas City. That captain was a paymaster, and we relieved those gents of over four thousand in coin. They squeaked like it was their own. It didn't belong to anybody but the Government and we needed a road stake.

message 11: by KarenF (new)

KarenF (cleocleveland) | 66 comments From The Blessing Way:

The high slopes of the Lukachukais were obscured now by the darkness of the cloud. Light from the setting sun glittered from the strata of ice crystals forming in the thin, frigid air at its upper levels. Deep within it, the structure of the cloud was lit by a sudden flare of sheet lightning. And then there was a single lightning bolt, an abrupt vivid streak of white light pulsing an electric moment against the black of the rain, connecting cloud and mountain slope.

If the witch was there, he's dead enough, Leaphorn thought. And he couldn't blame himself for that. Not the way he would blame himself if The People found Wolf before he did and executed this sentence of death.

message 12: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1370 comments From Cherish:

"Out west, there's some mighty evil men on the loose," he told her. "A smart man loves his enemy, but keeps his gun well oiled."