What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Survive/The Hurricane
This topic is about Survive/The Hurricane
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Girl surviving alone during hurricane, part of YA series (Web/Spider____?) [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sfriedell) I must have read this book in the mid to late 90s. I vaguely recall that it was one of a short-lived series of YA books that had Spider or Web or something in the title (and no, not Spiderwick :). I think I remember 3 books in the series altogether before I couldn't find any new ones.

In this particular one, a girl is left alone in her home somewhere on the southeastern coast (?), where she has to survive during a hurricane. I think the town may have been evacuated but she got left behind? The strongest memory I have is of her adding a few drops of bleach to the water in the toilet tank to make it safe to drink.

One of the other books in the series may have had something to do with a boy in a museum and a fossilized dinosaur, but I could be very mistaken on that.

The kids in each of the books didn't have any connection with each other (I think...), but there was some sort of narrative device relating to the series title that strung along to each one.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sfriedell) I suppose if I were the only person to ever read this series, that explains why it was so short-lived... :)

message 3: by D.M. (last edited Jul 15, 2011 01:53PM) (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 340 comments If its a series, maybe its this?

Survive/the Hurricane

Google books mentions its about seventh grader Izzy mackenzie dealing with a hurricane in texas, she's trapped in her house. Sorry, I'm coming up blank otherwise.

edit: from amazon:

"Given that this is one of four inaugural releases in a series entitled Survive!, one knows from the start that the hurricane that strikes Galveston, Tex., is not apt to get the best of Izzy MacKenzie. But Watson packs the story with harrowing moments that are likely to get the reader's heart beating faster than normal. Izzy, a seventh grader, cuts school on her birthday to go fishing and gets caught in the storm's fierce winds and rain (never mind the implausibility of the girl's bicycling to a remote pier after hearing hurricane warnings on the radio). When the abandoned house in which she finds shelter begins to break apart, Izzy's fright is very real--and contagious. Trapped in a dark, hot attic with little food and water, the resourceful girl manages to sustain herself and cleverly devises a distress signal that brings about her rescue. The girl's troubled relationship with her mother and memories of her beloved, recently deceased grandfather flesh out Watson's fast-moving plot. If the other adventures in the series are as well-written as this installment, Survive! will do just that."

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I totally remember this book! I forgot the title and googled "girl trapped in the attic during a hurricane" and found this as a result. I'd like to read this again. It was a very good story.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Sarah, are you still looking for this book?

message 6: by bookel (last edited Oct 27, 2013 10:14PM) (new)

bookel | 2112 comments Google Books search
hurricane bleach toilet subject:"juvenile fiction"

The hurricane by J. B. Watson
Grosset & Dunlap, 1994
When a severe hurricane hits Texas, seventh-grader Izzy MacKenzie is in the wrong place.

"One of the tips was to add a drop or two of chlorine bleach to water to sterilize it. Bleach. Izzy hurried back to the rubber tub filled with cleaners. There was a bottle of bleach there, and she brought it back ... No going to the bathroom in this toilet."

Series: Survive!

Hah, I have that book. Yet to read...

The Blizzard by Jim O'Connor
The Hostage by Larry Weinberg
The Hurricane by J. B. Watson

http://www.librarything.com/series/Su...

Edit: And a fourth book in the series:

The Rescue by Jeff Morgan
Amazon link

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37806 comments Mod
Thanks Bookel and D.M. I'm going to move this to Solved.