What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Iceberg Hermit
This topic is about The Iceberg Hermit
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. whale hunter trapped in over-turned boat struggles to survive [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 2 comments In my 5th grade class (1998-1999), the teacher read a book to us that had something to do with whale hunting. I only remember one specific character, though there could have been more. This is what I have pieced together:

The ship had somehow been turned upside down and trapped in the ice. He was trapped in the lower level of the boat, with the floor now as his ceiling. In order to escape, he had to break through the ceiling and through several feet of whale blubber that was stored at the very bottom of the boat. He comes into contact with a polar bear and has to fight it. I believe he wins and eats the polar bear for food.

These are the only details I have. I am assuming it's a lot higher than a 5th grade reading level considering the teacher read it to us during recess and we didn't actually read it ourselves.

Any help is appreciated!

Valerie (veegood) | 192 comments This is most likely The Iceberg Hermit. One of my all time favourites and I recently picked up a copy for 50 cents. So happy!

message 3: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 2 comments I just read a few descriptions, and it is definitely The Iceberg Hermit. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!