Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2011 Challenge Archive > The 4 Elements (Suggestions Thread )

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments And here's the suggestion-thread part of the 4 Elements dare/challenge.

The main thread is over here.

Just a reminder as to what it's all about...

EARTH
1. Cover:
   1.1 Read a book with a predominately green or brown cover.
   1.2 Read a book with a field, forest/greenery/thick foliage (jungle, meadow etc.) or sandy dunes/desert on its cover (it has to be a predominant feature!).

2. Setting:
   2.1 Read a book set on a farm or ranch, in the forest/jungle, in the desert or in northern countries (Northern hemisphere for those living in the southern one, Scandinavia, Russia, Canada, northern USA etc.).
   2.2 Read a book set in winter.

3. Character:
   3.1 Read a book featuring a heroine that is a mother or grandmother.
   3.2 Read a book featuring a heroine that is a cook, chef and/or baker.
   3.3 Read a book with a main character that is a potter, speleologist or works with rocks, minerals or crystals.
   3.4 Read a book with a main character that is a “protector” (police officer, bodyguard etc.).
   3.5 Read a book with a passive heroine (kick-ass chicks need not apply).

WATER
1. Cover:
   1.1 Read a book with a predominately blue or black cover.
   1.2 Read a book with a body of water (sea, lake, river etc.), fountain/cascade/etc., or a rainy-scene on its cover (it has to be a predominant feature!).

2. Setting:
   2.1 Read a book set on (or beside) a sea or lake, on an island or in the “western” countries (a western/American frontier historical is allowed, though not encouraged).
   2.2 Read a book set in autumn.

3. Character:
   3.1 Read a book with a main character that works with/in water (marine biologist, diver, ship captain, Coast Guard officer, sailor etc.).
   3.2 Read a book with a main character that is in the “cleaning” profession (laundress, cleaning lady, owns a dry cleaning business etc.) or is an entrepreneur, business tycoon etc.
   3.3 Read a book with a strong heroine.

FIRE
1. Cover:
   1.1 Read a book with a predominately red, orange, pink or purple cover.
   1.2 Read a book with a fire on cover (it has to be a predominant feature!).
   1.3 Read a book with a firefighter/fire-engine on cover.

2. Setting:
   2.1 Read a book set in a fire house or any other setting associate with firefighters and fire (smack in the middle of a wild fire, for example) or in the southern countries (Southern hemisphere for those living in northern one, Latin America, Africa, southern USA states etc.).
   2.2 Read a book set in summer.

3. Character:
   3.1 Read a book with a main character that is a fireman, arson investigator etc.
   3.2 Read a book with a strong hero (the more Alpha the better).
   3.3 Read an erotic book.
   3.4 Read a young adult book.

AIR
1. Cover:
   1.1 Read a book with a predominately yellow, white or light-blue cover.
   1.2 Read a book with the sky, wind/twister etc. on cover (it has to be a predominant feature!).
   1.3 Read a book with a plane/pilot, balloon etc. on cover.

2. Setting:
   2.1 Read a book set on a plane, high in the mountains or in the East (middle-East or far-East).
   2.2 Read a book set in spring.

3. Character:
   3.1 Read a book with a main character that is a pilot, airman, parachute, sky-diver, world-traveler/globetrotter etc. or a braniac, scientist, science teacher, intellectual etc.
   3.2 Read a book with a passive hero (Beta all the way).
   3.3 Read a second-chances book.

BONUS : TITLE&COVER CONCOCTION—read a book where an element is repeated both on cover and in the title)
   EARTHfield, forest/greenery/thick foliage or sandy dunes/desert on cover and word “EARTH” in the title
   WATERbody of water, fountain, rainy scene etc. on cover and word “WATER” in the title
   FIREfire, firefighter, fire-engine on cover and word “FIRE” in the title
   AIRsky, wind, plane/pilot, balloon etc. on cover and word “AIR” in the title

...suggest away.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I just read this one which works for earth - green cover and foliage on it - Beautiful Disaster by Laura Spinella

message 3: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Mojca, can Beach be considered a "water" word? As in The Beach Trees by Karen White ?

message 4: by Mojca (last edited Jun 30, 2011 11:17PM) (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Vi wrote: "Mojca, can Beach be considered a "water" word? As in The Beach Trees by Karen White?"

Love the cover, Vi. For the setting it's a yes set on (or beside) a sea or lake, for the word, I'm afraid not. The titles have to contain the actual element names (Earth, Fire, Air, Water).

message 5: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Ah well, too bad. Now I really gotta search for the bonus, hmm. Great challenge Mojca.

message 6: by D.G. (last edited Jul 05, 2011 12:13PM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Mojca - Can we use the following words in the title?
Waters or Waterless?

Also, take a look at the 3 Sisters Trilogy by Nora Roberts:
Dance Upon the Air
Heaven and Earth
Face the Fire
Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island trilogy #1) by Nora Roberts Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island trilogy #2) by Nora Roberts Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island trilogy #3) by Nora Roberts

I think the first two covers have air and earth clearly but does the lightning in the third cover count for 'fire'? (You have to click on the cover to see it.)

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda D. (tinyminx) | 634 comments Might I suggest using the listopia function on GR. I'm sure some members have compiled a list or two based on a couple of the elements.

message 8: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments D.G. ~Vile Temptress~ wrote: "Mojca - Can we use the following words in the title?
Waters or Waterless?

Dance Upon the Air
[book:Heaven and Earth|294158..."

Nope, lightning doesn't count...I see no fire. Even the second one is a bit iffy, since the cover features mostly sky and a beach scene. I don't really see the "earth" or "thick foliage" etc. The cover would've worked for the "water" element.

message 9: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Mojca wrote: "D.G. ~Vile Temptress~ wrote: "Mojca - Can we use the following words in the title?
Waters or Waterless?

Dance Upon the Air..."

The books are set in a Island that's why there seems to be water in them all. Of course, there's no water in any of the titles!

I'm still not sure I'll do the bonus unless I find 4 interesting books.

message 10: by Wan (last edited Jul 06, 2011 07:46AM) (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 2081 comments For the Bonus Catergory "AIR—sky, wind, plane/pilot, balloon etc. on cover and word “AIR” in the title" --- Does the word "Wind" in the title okay?

message 11: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments I think Mojca said above: "The titles have to contain the actual element names (Earth, Fire, Air, Water)" so I don't think that wind counts.

message 12: by D.G. (last edited Jul 06, 2011 09:12AM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments The bonus book I'm finding most difficult is earth. So far I've found several books with the word 'earth' in the title and two have water on the cover!

Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri To the Ends of the Earth  by Elizabeth Lowell

message 13: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 2081 comments This book fits the forest/greenery/thick foliage also.
Ghost Hunter (Harmony, #3) by Jayne Castle

message 14: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments D.G. ~Vile Temptress~ wrote: "The bonus book I'm finding most difficult is earth. So far I've found several books with the word 'earth' in the title and two have water on the cover!"

Yep, Earth is a tricky one.

Oh, I didn't answer your question about "waters" or "waterless" in the title.
As long as the title has the actual word (even plural), I say yes, it counts.

But it must also have something to do with the actual element.
For example: waterless, airborne, aircraft, earthy, firestorm etc. is acceptable while firefly (no actual fire), earthly (relating to the earth or human life on the earth/relating to humankind's material existence), earthling etc. is not, since those words have no actual "connection" to the element itself.

I'm complicating things, aren't I?

message 15: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Wan "Artemis", the Dark-Hunters' Goddess wrote: "This book fits the forest/greenery/thick foliage also.
Ghost Hunter (Harmony, #3) by Jayne Castle"

Great cover, Wan "Artemis". Yes, it certainly does fit the category.

message 16: by Bookchaser (new)

Bookchaser | 1886 comments I haven't posted my list yet. I'm still trying to find books for some of the categories. Last weekend I read Safe Harbor (Drake Sisters, Book 5) by Christine Feehan. The sisters all have some type of magic or power. Hannah, the heroine of this book has the power to "call up" or control the 4 elements. She uses air/wind most often. I would like to use this book for my Air - Character category. Do you think that would be appropriate?

message 17: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Bookchaser wrote: "Hannah, the heroine of this book has the power to "call up" or control the 4 elements. She uses air/wind most often. I would like to use this book for my Air - Character category. Do you think that would be appropriate? "

Magic (even if she does use wind/air) doesn't really qualify. You could use her as a "globetrotter", since she travels a lot as a model.

Or you could use the book as a "second-chance" book (Jonas and Hannah have a second chance at happiness in this book).

So yeah, for the air character category I'd say go for it.

message 18: by Bookchaser (new)

Bookchaser | 1886 comments Okay thanks. I'm searching for my last few books then I'll post my list.

message 19: by Lynne (last edited Jul 08, 2011 02:53PM) (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1163 comments I just finished Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts which is about smoke jumpers (fire fighters who parachute into fires in wilderness areas). If you look closely you can see the parachuters. Does it meet your criteria for fire fighters and the word fire? The sky is orange, but you can't really see the fire, but after reading the book it's a great image of what the smoke jumpers are jumping into. I'm hoping to use it for the Fire bonus. Great challenge Mojca!

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments well on the bright side, I found a passive hero...they don't get anymore so than Seth in the Succubus series

message 21: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1446 comments Came across this in an email and love the cover. Should qualify for Fire bonus.

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

message 22: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments If anyone wants a historical passive hero: Cotillion.

message 23: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Lynne wrote: "I just finished Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts which is about smoke jumpers (fire fighters who parachute into fires in wilderness areas). If you look closely you can see the parachute..."

I'm using that one as my fire-bonus book, so yeah, it qualifies. ;)

message 24: by Joann (last edited Jul 12, 2011 09:00AM) (new)

Joann | 973 comments Hi Mojca - I need a ruling. I'm still having difficulty finding a book for the Earth bonus category. Would either of these 2 qualify?

Virgin Earth by Philippa Gregory or Earth Song (Medieval Song, #3) by Catherine Coulter

message 25: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Joann, I'd say the first one...The second "earth" is a bit tiny.

message 26: by Joann (new)

Joann | 973 comments Thanks, Mojca!

message 27: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Joann wrote: "Thanks, Mojca!"

You're welcome. :)

message 28: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments Mojca, what can be considered second chances book? Is it a book that you've picked up in the past but didn't read it?

message 29: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Nope, a second-chances storyline...Lovers reunited after a long time, a man wrongly convicted in the past getting a second chance at life, a vampire thinking he’s irredeemable finding redemption through the right woman (I’m using this one) etc.

message 30: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments OK, in that case, any recs for the second-chances storyline? I can only think of stuff that I've read. Any recs would be very very welcome!

message 31: by Dee (last edited Jul 18, 2011 10:02AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Vi - I liked Last Chance, My Love - Lynne Connolly

also Delicious

and its up to Mojca but I think Summer Island is a good second chances book as well - in this instance - mother who left her kids and 10 years or so later is trying to repair the damage

message 32: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 2081 comments Hello guys -- does Scottish Highland fits this "AIR 2. Setting: 2.1 high in the mountains"?

message 33: by Mojca (new)

Mojca | 1414 comments Wan "Artemis", the Dark-Hunters' Goddess wrote: "Hello guys -- does Scottish Highland fits this "AIR 2. Setting: 2.1 high in the mountains"?"

Not really, since Scotland doesn't really have any "real" mountains, I'll let it slide as "set in the East" for you (according to where you're from, Scotland could be an "eastern" country).

message 34: by Wan (new)

Wan (wanwaddell) | 2081 comments Ok thanks.