Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Odd Thomas Series > Odd Hours (Group Read - July 2012)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments I just finished Odd Hours and enjoyed it, rating it 4/5. Now I must wait a full year before the next book in the Odd Thomas series is released. :-| I put Odd Hours right about on par with Brother Odd, which I also rated 4/5. I'll just pretend Forever Odd doesn't exist, because I consider it one of Koontz's weaker works. I've decided definitively that I much prefer the Moonlight Bay (i.e., Chris Snow) series to the Odd Thomas series and I prefer the character of Chris Snow to that of Odd Thomas. My favorite character from this book was the old actor Odd was living with. He seemed similar to Odd's fat friend from Pico Mundo, who is my ultimate favorite character from the series. Don't get me wrong, I like the character of Odd quite a bit, just not as much as the two characters from the series I just mentioned or as much as Chris Snow from that series, though he and Odd could easily be brothers. I think it would be really cool if Koontz writes a book in which the two meet and go on some adventure together. I think I might suggest that to him in the letter I intend to write him later this summer. There is a character referred to as "the senator" throughout this book and he is said to be behind the evil plot in this story. I wonder if this senator is the same as the mysterious senator mentioned several times in Breathless. It will be interesting to see if Koontz ever writes a novel in which we'll finally be introduced to the senator. I must say that the enigmatic young female character for whom Odd serves as paladin annoyed me, due to her personality and constant speaking in riddles. It seems that she and her unborn child are likely to play a pivotal role in the next book. I'm guessing the child incubating in her whom is either Jesus Christ or a reincarnation of Stormy. It is obvious that the child is of great importance, whoever it will turn out to be.

message 2: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jun 30, 2011 03:47PM) (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5990 comments Mod
Well Jason, I guess you had a lot to say about this book. I liked Anna Maria aka "The Lady of the Bell" - what an interesting character :-) I also loved meeting Blossom aka "The Happy Monster". Loved the fridge magnets and "The Hall of What Would Jesus Do?" Odd Hours is a a very close second favorite in the series for me even though I am partial to Brother Odd. The Odd Apocalypse will surely be great :-)

Odd Hours (Odd Thomas, #4) by Dean Koontz
Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

message 3: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Well, there hasn't been much discussion on this book in the past year, but that's about to chance because ODD HOURS has been chosen as the July 2012 Group Read.

Please join us in reading this timely book - you'll get caught up on your ODD happenings and be ready for the July 31st release of ODD APOCALYPSE!!!! Exciting times & rewarding HOURS of reading await you.

message 4: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 246 comments Yay!

message 5: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

HELL YEAH!

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments Yeah, just a refresher for Odd Apocalypse

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments Went to the library today to pick up Odd Hours. Although I have the book I love the audio of this series. The narrator is perfect.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments Am I going to get kicked out if I start a day early?

message 9: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jun 30, 2012 05:35PM) (new)

Tracy wrote: "Am I going to get kicked out if I start a day early?"

Silly. You can never leave Koontzland! Happy Reading :-)

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments I tried and failed. Couldn't wait. I love the Odd series.

Oh, I meant to tell you DC. In Interlude Oddie still has his dog Boo. Knew he would keep the dog. Get rid of the girlfriend but keep the dog.

message 11: by Syd (new)

Syd Perry (sydperry) | 37 comments Tracy (comment 7), I'm listening to the Odd Hours audio book too. Excellent. My favorite book in the series is the first, Odd Thomas. It's when I fell in love with Odd, got sucked into his fantastical world, was mesmerized by the crazy characters he attracts, laughed out loud at the stories of his Grandma, cried over the loss of Stormy... Although the following books are wonderful, and I always look forward to a chance to be with Odd again, it has never been as wonderfully intense as the first time.

message 12: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments I agree totally Syd!

***Spoiler for Odd Thomas, if you haven't read it!

There is nothing like the first and I have never felt the same way again. I was so emotional after Odd Thomas, when I also realized Stormy was gone and Odd was only seeing her ghost. My heart broke for him. I do love the rest of his story as well but I had a hard time getting over the first story.

I am almost finished with Odd Hours and I didn't realize how much I have missed Odd because I don't want it to end.

message 13: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments Tracy wrote: "I agree totally Syd! There is nothing like the first and I have never felt the same way again. I was so emotional after Odd Thomas, when I als..."

Same here.

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments Just one more Odd Hours CD and I am finished. I am already sad.

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments He is with the same Annamarie in Odd Interlude, right?

message 16: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 246 comments Tracy wrote: "He is with the same Annamarie in Odd Interlude, right?"

yes

message 17: by Syd (new)

Syd Perry (sydperry) | 37 comments I don't reread very many books, too many new ones to get to. But I am enjoying reading Odd Hours again. It's like being with an old friend who I haven't seen in a long time. We're recalling old memories now, but since I haven't read Odd Interlude yet, we've got new adventures just ahead. It's great reading with other Odd fans.

message 18: by Tracy (last edited Jul 04, 2012 08:04AM) (new)

Tracy | 528 comments Ditto Syd

message 19: by Syd (new)

Syd Perry (sydperry) | 37 comments Tracy, I think we are Odd Thomas soul mates. :)

message 20: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments Sounds like it Syd. I would love to have a friend like Odd. He is the funniest character.

message 21: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments Went to the library today and was trying to find an audiobook so I'm looking and there is nothing that sounds good. My library doesn't have a large selection or even a very good selection of audiobooks so.....I got Odd Thomas. Surprised? I couldn't help myself.

message 22: by Syd (new)

Syd Perry (sydperry) | 37 comments My library doesn't have many audio books either but it does have Odd Thomas.

I'm enjoying Dean's (any reason I can't be on a first name basis?) funny descriptions in ODD HOURS. One that comes to mind is when he described the walls in the police station as "the color of tubercular phlegm." I have no idea what color that is, but I know it's disgusting.

message 23: by Tracy (last edited Jul 06, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Tracy | 528 comments That's what I mean about Odd, his humor is great. I love most of Dean's books and he takes that humor in all his writings. That's why Dean is so special. Humor and horror, who would have thought.

message 24: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

ODD HOURS is a March 2016 Group Read. This is the old discussion thread. There is a New Discussion Thread for 2016:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Odd Hours (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dean Koontz (other topics)