Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Series that isn't a series

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi I added a copy of The Rubaiyat and noticed that it's falsely been included in a series. It's one of those cases where it's not a series but rather a special edition kind of thing:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/57661...

It should probably be deleted. Also, I noticed that the setting of The Rubaiyat is the Islamic Republic of Iran. That's of course not true, since Iran didn't exist in 1352. Should it be changed, or is it acceptable to keep the current name of the country?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
Most of the series seems to be fine; I just removed the couple of books that were issues.

Will the system allow you to add places that are not current countries? I didn't think so.

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi No idea, that's why I asked :) Thanks for fixing the series.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I almost never touch that field, but I think it only allows choices from a pre-populated list of (current) countries.

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I've been trying to add characters and setting to books as I read them, so I've explored it a bit and from what I can tell... this is how it works.

The country list does only allow choices from a pre-populated list, but the country is optional. When you add a setting there are three choices Place, Country (Optional), Year (Optional).

I recently added the setting to 29: A Novel.
Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Note how the country appears unlinked and grey next to the specified place. It seems that if you don't specify a place and only specify country (which I think is was done when the setting was added The Rubiyat), the country becomes the linked setting.

That said - you could remove the current setting and add a new setting with Persia being the place, not select a country and it would be correct. This is how settings like Middle-earth are able to be added. :)

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catherineeilers) | 45 comments rivka wrote: "I almost never touch that field, but I think it only allows choices from a pre-populated list of (current) countries."

I've run into that when trying to input a place of birth for an author born in a country that no longer exists.

message 7: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Unrelated to my original post, here is another series that I think shouldn't be a series:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/58946...

message 8: by Vicky (last edited Jul 10, 2011 02:37PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Sandi wrote: "Unrelated to my original post, here is another series that I think shouldn't be a series:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/58946..."

I don't see why this shouldn't be a series, it's a series of audiobooks performed by Star Trek actors. It would probably make more sense as a series if we were able to select a specific edition of the book to be added, but I don't think it needs to be deleted.

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi My paperback copy of The Invisible Man is definitely not part of an audiobook series. That's like making a "Penguin classics" series that will affect every single edition of every classic that got published by Penguin at some point, whether it's actually a Penguin edition or not.

But you're right, it would be a nice feature if individual editions could be part of a series, without affecting all the other editions.

message 10: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Sandi wrote: "My paperback copy of The Invisible Man is definitely not part of an audiobook series. That's like making a "Penguin classics" series that will affect every single edition of every clas..."

Oops, I didn't even think about the series link on the book page. That is annoying. :)

I'll let someone else make a call on it though!

message 11: by Betsy (last edited Jul 10, 2011 07:58PM) (new)

Betsy | 583 comments I agree with Sandi. There are a number of "series" in Goodreads, which I think should properly be an "edition" rather than a series. See, for example, Great Books of the Western World.

In my opinion, a series is something like the Harry Potter books, or the Twilight series, which would be a series no matter what edition we're talking about.

Another example: The Oxford Library of the World's Greatest Books, a very similar compilation to the Great Books of the Western World, does not appear to be treated as a series in Goodreads.

When I search for the Divine Comedy, I would like all editions to come up in the same search, the Great Books one, as well as the Oxford Library one.

Of course, there's one hitch. I'd also like to be able to search "Great Books of the West World" and have the books included in the collection come up. I think that may still work. Doesn't it search edition as well as title?

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Betsy wrote: "In my opinion, a series is something like the Harry Potter books, or the Twilight series, which would be a series no matter what edition we're talking about."

Which is indeed the previously-agree upon consensus: if it doesn't apply to all editions of the book (that it belongs to the series, not necessarily the numbering!), it's not a real series.

message 13: by Edward (new)

Edward (eddieee) | 9 comments Another pseudo-series: Michail Drakomathioulakis
Michail Drakomathioulakis
created "Συγγραφείς απ' όλο τον κόσμο" (Authors from around the world), so far containing mostly books by the Dutch author Harry Mulisch. Presumably a Grecian publisher republished the Grecian translations of the books in an "Authors from around the world" series.

I've sent a message to Michail linking him to this thread (and advised him to create a 'Συγγραφείς απ' όλο τον κόσμο'-list instead), so he can read up on what is and is not a series. (For now I'll leave deletion of the series to him.)

message 14: by Michail (new)

Michail Drakomathioulakis (michaildimdrakomathioulakis) | 4 comments Thernymous wrote: "Another pseudo-series: Michail Drakomathioulakis
Michail Drakomathioulakis created "Συγγραφείς απ' όλο τον κόσμο" (Authors from around the world), so far containing mostly books by the Dutch author..."

Hi, thanks for your advice!
I've deleted the series, but I need to comment that this definition of series as Harry Potter #1, #2...#7 comes from the Librarians' discussion, not from the Manual (http://www.goodreads.com/help/librari... , see under paragraph title), where "Silhouette Intimate Moments" (http://www.goodreads.com/search?query...) (definetely not a series according to the discussion) is considered as a series.
However, I understand why it is important the series field to apply to all editions, and that's why I deleted the one I created, but I end up with two proposals:
1. It would be great if a per edition series field was available.
2. Until proposal 1 comes into reality, the manual should be changed.
Thanks again!

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

You are correct. I'll add that to the list of manual edits I need to make.

message 16: by Michail (new)

Michail Drakomathioulakis (michaildimdrakomathioulakis) | 4 comments rivka wrote: "You are correct. I'll add that to the list of manual edits I need to make."

Thanks!!!

message 17: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments I think this counts as not a series, but I'm wary of deleting a 73 book series without consulting other librarians. ;)

http://www.goodreads.com/series/66014...

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments I think that one (SF Masterworks) has been deleted and recreated several times.

message 19: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Oh, fun. :)

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments I'd just leave it...it must be important to someone. :)

message 21: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Yes, but it then gives all editions of all of those books a series title.

The French edition of I Am Legend, Je suis une légende, is certainly not part of the SF Masterworks collection. ;)

message 22: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool I wonder if something like a static list would work better for this type of situation. It would still link every edition, but in a less intrusive kind of way.

message 23: by Deborah (new)

message 24: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Deborah wrote: "I think that one (SF Masterworks) has been deleted and recreated several times."

Yup. Gone again, for now.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Editing "The Castle of Otranto" I found it was falsely included in a series:
http://www.goodreads.com/series/63778
that looks like a sort of special edition of more than 70 books. I think this series should be changed in a list or deleted. Could someone check it?

message 26: by Mitticus (new)

Mitticus | 13 comments I did'nt think "Brave New World" by Huxley was intended as a serie...
http://www.goodreads.com/series/65071...

"Brave New World Revisited" is an Essay; and the other one, well, is another editiom.

message 27: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I don't see anything wrong with linking them using the series method. It applies to all editions of each work.

message 28: by Mitticus (new)

Mitticus | 13 comments Okay, that was my doubt. Thanks.

message 29: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments Question: How to delete a series?

http://www.goodreads.com/series/51405... Looks wrong to me...

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24735 comments Emy, you were right. It wasn't a series and I deleted it.

In future, to delete a series - at the bottom of the page is a delete link.

message 31: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5034 comments Thanks - I couldn't see it anywhere >.<

message 32: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Mitticus wrote: "I did'nt think "Brave New World" by Huxley was intended as a serie...
http://www.goodreads.com/series/65071...

"Brave New World Revisited" is an Essay; and the other one, well, is ano..."

I wouldn't make that a series. The first one is a novel; the second one is a book of nonfiction essays; and the third one is merely the first and the second printed together. How does that qualify as a series?