The Smart Chicks Book Club discussion

What is the best book you read this year?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina Hook | 327 comments Mod
I want your book recommendations. Feed me.

message 2: by Misty (last edited Jun 29, 2011 10:47AM) (new)

Misty (misty901blue) The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Hush, Hush & Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

I'm still waiting for THE ONE though. So far, everything I've read has been good and not great.

message 3: by Tina (new)

Thanks Misty! I did enjoy The Help and I am very excited it has been turned into a movie. I am off to check out your other two recommendations.

message 4: by Pepca (new)

Pepca This is a hard question, I read several great books. Having to choose, I'd say Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (and her other books - Sepulchre, The Winter Ghosts)

message 5: by Tina (new)

Pepca, I am looking up Labyrinth now. *thanks* I have added your recommendation to the group bookshelf. Please feel free to add more if you like.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) What kind of books do you usually like to read? I can give you a TON of ideas based on that simple bit of info. ;)

message 7: by Tina (new)

I personally love thoughtful Women's Fiction but any recommendation you want to share with the group is welcome. (You can also add it to the club bookshelf.)

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) This summer, I read Water for Elephants, The Hunger Games series, and Generation Loss. All of them were excellent.

And I agree with everyone who liked "The Help". It was an outstanding book as well.

message 9: by Tina (new)

Michelle, I also enjoyed Water for Elephants and I keep hearing good things about The Hunger Games. I am off to check out Generation Loss. Sounds interesting.

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) Tough question! The best books I've read lately are The Meaning of Isolated Objects, Remix, and at the fantasy end of the market, the The Way of Shadows & sequels. I'm really not sure I could pick a single favourite...

message 11: by Tina (new)

Rachel, thank you for sharing your fav reads. I am adding 'The Meaning of Isolated objects' to our group bookshelf. I look forward to exploring your other recommendations.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) OK, how did I miss coming back to this one?

My list of top reads for the year (so far!):

The Bird House, Kelly Simmons
The Hundred Secret Senses, Amy Tan
Jerusalem Maiden, Talia Carner

Hmmn, I really haven't had that ONE incredible read yet this year. :( Maybe I'm reading too many books, I don't know.

Oh! I know. Probably my fave read of the year so far:

Hello, Goodbye ... Emily Chenoweth (I'll post my review in the other thread, to this and a few others!)

message 13: by Tina (new)

Thanks for the picks, ladies. I will be looking into them very soon.

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) Ratz wrote: "The Chosen by Chaim Potok

This is on my to-read pile for way too long. It's one of my father's favorite movies!

message 15: by Marie Paz (new)

Marie Paz (mariecastro) | 1 comments Hi! First of all, thanks for inviting me to be a part of this group :)

Surprisingly, the best books I have read so far are from the YA genre:
Looking for Alaska
The Hunger Games
Thirteen Reasons Why

PS: yes, I am currently in touch with my inner "young adult":) happy reading!

message 16: by Tina (new)

Love these picks. I am adding a few to our bookshelf.

message 17: by RD (new)

RD Morgan (rdmorgan) Two of my favorites I've read this year were Jean Kwok's Girl in Translation and Big Girl Small: A Novel by Rachel DeWoskin.

message 18: by Tina (new)

Girl in Translation sounds wonderful. Thank you for your picks.

message 19: by Tina (new)

Please feel free to add your favs to our group bookshelf.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) Girl in Translation is on my to-read list, as well, but I don't have a copy just yet!

message 21: by Tina (new)

Her Fearful Symmetry. It has topped my list.Her Fearful Symmetry

message 22: by Tina (new)

Rathi wrote: "Icy Sparks was a good read. It was interesting and at the same time poignant. The Godfather has been a page turner."

Rathi, thanks for the recommendation. I have added Icy Sparks to my reading list.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (turophile) | 2 comments Rules of Civility was excellent.

message 24: by Tina (new)

I am looking up your picks now, ladies.

message 25: by Tina (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Rules of Civility was excellent."

Thank you for the recommend Elizabeth. I am adding this one to our group bookshelf.

message 26: by Tina (new)

Jen wrote: "I would have to say
The Help
Hunger Games
And
Juliet"

Jen, thank you for the recommend. I am adding Juliet to our group bookshelf. I believe the others are already there.

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy I think the books I've most enjoyed this year were The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly and The Winter Rose. I just picked up The Wild Rose so I don't know how it is yet but I expect it will be as good as the others.

message 28: by Tina (new)

Tracy, I am off to look up these reads now. Thanks for the recommendations.

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary (marydemaio) I loved The Invisible Circus by Jennifer Egan. It's a story about sisters, love, grief, and coming-of-age. The 1960s/1970s setting is really cool, too.

message 30: by Tina (new)

Mary, I have added this one to our group bookshelf. It sounds amazing.

message 31: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) Tina, have you read Room yet? OMG. It was quite possibly the best book I read in 2011. And I only read it late in December, so I just got in under the wire. :)

message 32: by Meg (last edited Jan 15, 2012 02:31PM) (new)

Meg Donohue (megdonohue) | 4 comments Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan was my #1 read in 2011. Engrossing, character-driven story about 3 generations of women...set at my favorite place: the beach. Can't recommend highly enough!

message 33: by EShay (new)

EShay Fagan (eshay11) I really liked "Unbroken" by Lauren Hillebrand. It is a great WWII story, but difficult to read at parts for the brutality used against American prisoners of war.

message 34: by Tina (new)

Love these recommendations. I have added them to the Smart Chicks bookshelf. Andrea, your pick was already on the bookshelf and I hear nothing but good things. I will have to read it.

message 35: by Tamarin (last edited Jan 25, 2012 04:18AM) (new)

Tamarin Dowling | 3 comments I have read so many books lately that I REALLY enjoyed but if I had to pick one to re-read it would be The Silence of Trees by Valya Dudycz Lupescu.

I also agree The Help was good, I enjoy the movie as well...

message 36: by Tamarin (new)

Tamarin Dowling | 3 comments Andrea wrote: "Tina, have you read Room yet? OMG. It was quite possibly the best book I read in 2011. And I only read it late in December, so I just got in under the wire. :)"

Yip, I enjoyed that one - very clever how the author approached it.

message 37: by Tina (new)

Thank you, Andrea. I have added The Silence of Trees to our group bookshelf. It looks intriguing.

message 38: by Tina (new)

The Snow Child. I got it in under the wire, but it might be the best book I read all year.

message 39: by Tracy (new)

Tracy A Discovery of Witches and Mistborn: The Final Empire were my favorite books I read in 2012. So far I've read a lot of good ones in 2013.

message 40: by Tina (new)

Tracy wrote: "A Discovery of Witches and Mistborn: The Final Empire were my favorite books I read in 2012. So far I've read a lot of good ones in 2013."

I'm excited that one of those was inspired here as a Smart Chicks Group read.

message 41: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 36 comments I have Snobs on my bedside - after I finish the Lifeboat and am really excited to read the only book by the creator of Downton. Also Gone Girl was good too!

message 42: by Tina (new)

Jasmine wrote: "I have Snobs on my bedside - after I finish the Lifeboat and am really excited to read the only book by the creator of Downton. Also Gone Girl was good too!"

Jasmine, we've got discussion questions waiting in our "Gone Girl" - March thru April Group Read folder if you want to answer any.

message 43: by Linda (new)

Linda (lndoyle) | 4 comments I'm with you, Erin: Unbroken was amazing. I've been recommending it to everyone, male and female alike. If only I could meet Mr. Zamperini and shake his hand...

message 44: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Read | 2 comments Reading Les Miserables for the first time. I work full time and have a toddler so it's taken about a year off and on. It has really humorous turns of phrase which I enjoy. For lighter reading, I have enjoyed The Judy Bolton mystery series from the 1930s and onward. An interesting alternative to Nancy Drew.

message 45: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Life After Life by Kate Atkinson and
The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult

message 46: by Mikki (last edited Sep 04, 2013 06:47PM) (new)

Mikki (mikki_m) The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen

It's a delightful read, nothing profound yet there was just something in the story that somehow spoke to me at this point in my life. It's one of those books that came at just the right time, otherwise, it probably wouldn't have touched me as much as it did.

I have been on a fluffy chicklit mood this year so most have been forgetable (sorry!) but I'm leaning towards "smarter" reads lately. I'm starting to crave for more substance in my books.

message 47: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 36 comments Pearl, I really enjoyed Hugo's writing when I read Les Mis last Nov - Jan - it did take a while - (same here work f/t + kids). Haven't started another one of his for this year. I think my dip into classic lit will be the Count of Monte Cristo.

This summer I enjoyedThe Language of Flowers, Where'd You Go, Bernadette, The Night Circus , Olive Kitteridge, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand and am currently zipping through The Last Letter from Your Lover. Looking forward for a bit more teeth for my fall reading.

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 6 comments I think my 2013 favorite would have to be The Snow Child.

message 49: by Tina (new)

Jessica wrote: "I think my 2013 favorite would have to be The Snow Child."

Perhaps this is kismet, but I just mentioned this book on your blog. My favorite too. Hands down.

message 50: by Tina (new)

Beverly, sent me hers so I'll add them here on her behalf.

The Art Forger (Barbara Shapiro), with The Language of Flowers (Vanessa Diffenbaugh)a close second. Also loved a small book called Ghostwriter (Lissa Bryan)

« previous 1