Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Discussions about books > Where is your favorite spot for reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott (srussell) | 33 comments Where do you like to read? Do you have a favorite place? , if so where?

I usually read wherever I am at the time. I usually always have a book(or my kindle) with me. My favorite place would have to be lying in bed reading, unless I'm at the beach. I love reading at the beach.

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) I received a much loved recliner from my grandma before she passed away, so that is where I love to read.

message 3: by Traci (new)

Traci I'm lazy =) At home I read in bed with my cat. But I bring a book where ever I go.

message 4: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (asfus) | 98 comments The bed of a holiday cottage.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments We have an "L" shaped sectional sofa and I love to sit there and read. I also have a old Lay Z Boy recliner that used to belong to my great grandfather. :-)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

When Traci's not at home, I like to read in her bed with her cat.

feel the creepiness

message 7: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Ala, are you channeling "Evil Super Genius" today? Or is it more of a chainsaw wielding sociopath kinda vibe?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't even know. It's just been one of those weird days for me :P

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 857 comments In bed, preferably. Or on the porch if it's nice out.

message 10: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Its not bad, you're just making me want to curl up with a serial killer book! Or re-watch Halloween...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

lmao @ Ala :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Ala...that was great.

message 13: by Traci (last edited Jun 28, 2011 08:45PM) (new)

Traci lol. *cringe* We feel so violated.

message 14: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments bed or on the couch, although sometimes on the front porch when it's nice

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I don't like reading in bed. I can never get myself propped up properly.

My go-to place is the love seat in the den. It's the perfect size for me, and it's got a nice arm rest I can prop myself up with.

When it's nice out I like reading on the bench swing in the backyard.

message 16: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (lostunicorn) My ideal place is a big oversized comfy chair where I can curl up with my cat and my cup of tea, in total peace and silence, in my floor-to-ceiling wall-to-wall bookshelves library......oh wait....did you mean in reality where do I read? Love seat in front of the tv with the sounds of video games and kids fighting driving me absolutely bonkers and the tea is a diet coke.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I like to read in bed.

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Flanagan | 43 comments I either read in bed, or when it is hot in the summer I go out on our patio and read out on the 'couch' that's part of the patio set for our building, it's a nice courtyard, with pinkish stucco walls and a European feel to it.

message 19: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) | 3 comments I read on the beach in the summer, and when it's too cold to go to the beach I just read on a couch. I don't have any particularly comfortable couches, but oh well.

I can't read in bed :( can't get propped up well.

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 861 comments Far away from Ala and Traci's cat! LOL!

In the summer, I love to read on my front deck (if the Northern Ontario mosquitoes aren't too voracious!), and, in the winter, curled up on my couch with a nice roaring fire in the fireplace and a cup of tea nearby. I'll also read in bed quite often (but not in Traci's bed!).

message 21: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Northern Ontario mosquitoes?! I have Southern Manitoba mosquitoes! We're neighbors! :)

message 22: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I like to read anywhere it's quiet and I'm alone.

Traci's bed seems kind of crowded...LOL

message 23: by Leighann (new)

Leighann | 159 comments I have a book with me everywhere I go. So most of my reading is done on a bus or in the basement at work. (smoke breaks are great for a quick sneak read). But my favorite place is my back stoop in the summer. Or my couch. I have a big sectional couch with a nice comfy corner just made for me and my book. :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Pffft. Canadian mosquitoes? Please. Come visit me in Louisiana. Our mosquitoes can harpoon small mammals in a fell swoop.

message 25: by Laurel (new)

Laurel All right, but you're defending me from any murderous bugs AND making me some of that Southern food everyone keeps talking about!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Done and done. I'll start researching a trip for you ;)

message 27: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "I don't like reading in bed. I can never get myself propped up properly.

My go-to place is the love seat in the den. It's the perfect size for me, and it's got a nice arm rest I can prop myself ..."

I have a big body pillow...it helps

message 28: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 380 comments #1: in the park a couple blocks away...Alamo Square, to be exact

#2: in my bed if there is interesting weather that sets a mood - lots of windows in my bedroom

#3: in my armchair!

#4: back patio. the chair is just so hard, and the cat whines to get out, it is almost a pain.

former #1: in the hammock in my backyard. but then...mold happened. some day, new hammock purchase must happen

message 29: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Its currently a humidex of 46 degrees Celsius here. I don't know what that is in Farenheit, but its about as hot as Canada ever gets!

However, tonight they're calling for a pretty kick ass thunderstorm. I've gotta say, sitting and reading a good scary book with a thunderstorm in the background is pretty great! *crosses fingers*

message 30: by mark (last edited Jun 30, 2011 03:11PM) (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 380 comments i particularly love reading an old-fashioned horror during a thunderstorm. with hot chocolate!

message 31: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) Melissa wrote: "My ideal place is a big oversized comfy chair where I can curl up with my cat and my cup of tea, in total peace and silence, in my floor-to-ceiling wall-to-wall bookshelves library......oh wait......."

Oh my gosh, that is my life! It is a great talent to be able to read with all that going on.

message 32: by Eileen (new)

Eileen mark wrote: "#1: in the park a couple blocks away...Alamo Square, to be exact

#2: in my bed if there is interesting weather that sets a mood - lots of windows in my bedroom

#3: in my armchair

#4: back..."

That sounds wonderful, Mark. Big bedroom windows facing a large lake or ocean would
be my dream come true!

Hammocks are probably on sale this weekend, go buy one!

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Landmark (clandmark) | 861 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "Pffft. Canadian mosquitoes? Please. Come visit me in Louisiana. Our mosquitoes can harpoon small mammals in a fell swoop."

Ugh! I hope you understand if I don't come visit you in Louisiana, Grant. :)

Do you have deer flies there? The ones here are so big, you could put saddles on them and fly them like Anne McCaffrey's dragons.

message 34: by mark (new)

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 380 comments Hammocks are probably on sale this weekend, go buy one!

that is a very good idea, eileen. i am going to do just that!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Lol @ Cheryl. I can't imagine us Not having every kind of insect imaginable here. We do have deer flies, the big nasty green ones. *ugh* The cicada's were out this year as well and it was INSANE. Entire forests were humming like power grids from their eerie chirping. Super creepy

message 36: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments ☠The Dread Pirate Grant☠ wrote: "Lol @ Cheryl. I can't imagine us Not having every kind of insect imaginable here. We do have deer flies, the big nasty green ones. *ugh* The cicada's were out this year as well and it was INSANE...."

I am so, so, so happy I missed the cicadas this time around. They were awful in 1998 and from what I hear this time was no better. Apparently they chased my dad around when he was mowing the lawn. I do sort of wish I could have seen that, because I don't remember it from last time, but it wouldn't have made up for it. Those things creep me out.

message 37: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments lol Denae. Was at a garage sale last year where a little boy was playing with his cicada "army." You can imagine--using the dead cicadas. They weren't for sale, mind you. Ewwww. Bet he grows up to be the next Stephen King.

message 38: by Traci (new)

Traci Carol wrote: "lol Denae. Was at a garage sale last year where a little boy was playing with his cicada "army." You can imagine--using the dead cicadas. They weren't for sale, mind you. Ewwww. Bet he grows up t..."

Or Ted Bundy.

message 39: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) Carol wrote: "lol Denae. Was at a garage sale last year where a little boy was playing with his cicada "army." You can imagine--using the dead cicadas. They weren't for sale, mind you. Ewwww. Bet he grows up t..."

LOL I was that child! Although my cicadas were always alive... :)

message 40: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Ugh...

message 41: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, *good karma* (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 7282 comments LOL

message 42: by Timmain (new)

Timmain | 12 comments I most often end up reading in bed late at night after the kids are asleep. If I am lucky, I can catch some reading time during the day in my backyard under the potato vine at the picnic table.

message 43: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Majors | 35 comments Timmain wrote: "I most often end up reading in bed late at night after the kids are asleep. If I am lucky, I can catch some reading time during the day in my backyard under the potato vine at the picnic table."

I second that! I read when the kids have gone to sleep for the night. If I'm lucky and they both nap at the same time during the day, I'll read then.

My favorite place to read is on the couch with a blanket and pillow, and I love to listen to audiobooks when I'm driving.

message 44: by Susan (new)

Susan | 32 comments I usually always have a book with me, but my favorite place to read is the couch or if the weather is nice outside on the deck.

message 45: by Amanda (new)

Amanda M. Lyons (amandamlyons) I've been going nuts lately because Nikki's had insomnoa and hardly ever sleeps! As a result my reading time is extremely limited although I have gotten to read him a few novels in the process. I miss my quiet reading/writing time in the early AM :(

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Has to be my bed, love lying down with a good book and the quilts pulled up over me. I also enjoy reading in the bath.

message 47: by Terry (new)

Terry Simpson | 261 comments My couch and my bed.

message 48: by Tracy (new)

Tracy The bed does well for me. So does the couch, the bath and the deck :)

message 49: by James (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 17 comments My favorite spot for reading is in my bed.

message 50: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) | 0 comments Lately I have been coming to enjoy curling up on the couch with the non-homicidal cat in the house. The mildly homicidal one will sometimes jump on my lap when I am in my computer chair or on the bed, but she prefers to do this if I have a keyboard in my lap and she is interrupting me.

« previous 1