YA Paranormal and Fantasy Book lovers discussion

Adult Paranormal and Fantasy > Recommendations?! PLEASE?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (last edited Jun 27, 2011 10:35PM) (new)

Tina (Observationsofanovice) | 15 comments While I do love reading the YA stuff and feeling reminiscent about my teenage days, sometimes I do want a read that is a bit more challenging and.... less censored or PG-13 or even Rated G, for lack of better words.

For example, I recently read SOUL SAVERS #1 & #2, while it was such an easy read, she did get pretty detailed about the more passionate scenes, which I didn't mind, in fact welcomed. I know I'm possibly coming off as a total pervert, but I'm tired of those story lines because I know authors are just trying to reach out to their actual teenage demographic to not have sex, or practice smart sex or safe sex, or sex til marriage or whatever it is.

While I haven't read ALL YA Fantasy/Paranormal, most of what I've read holds true to what I said, (except I may be wrong as to authors motives as to why exactly it's that way.)

I'm just looking for an adult fantasy paranormal book, with lots of action, lots of romance and passion. I guess, in better words a Rated-R Book. LOL.

Help?

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Haha. You don't want to open that can of worms with me.

One sec...

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina (Observationsofanovice) | 15 comments Did I offend? I def don't mean to offend anyone... Just need some direction. In the "Recommended For You" at my Kindle store, it's always ends up being "PG13" books.

Maybe I'm in the wrong book group club thing. But I'm quite a rookie when it comes to this site and visit it twice or thrice a month, not nearly enough to get familiar or gain friend with similar interests.

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 27, 2011 10:42PM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) My favorite pnr/uf/fantasy series adult :

Vampires - Night Huntress

Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost

Shifters - Shifters series (werecats)

Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent Rogue (Shifters, #2) by Rachel Vincent Pride (Shifters, #3) by Rachel Vincent Prey (Shifters, #4) by Rachel Vincent Shift (Shifters, #5) by Rachel Vincent Alpha (Shifters, #6) by Rachel Vincent

Fey/Fae - Fever Series (Urban Fantasy)

Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Bloodfever (Fever, #2) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Dreamfever (Fever, #4) by Karen Marie Moning Shadowfever (Fever, #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Fae/Fey - Tairen Soul (Epic Fantasy)

Lord of the Fading Lands (Tairen Soul, #1) by C.L. Wilson Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2) by C.L. Wilson Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5) by C.L. Wilson King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3) by C.L. Wilson Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4) by C.L. Wilson

Succubus - Georgina Kincaid

Succubus Blues (Georgina Kincaid, #1) by Richelle Mead Succubus on Top (Georgina Kincaid, #2) by Richelle Mead Succubus Dreams (Georgina Kincaid, #3) by Richelle Mead Succubus Heat (Georgina Kincaid, #4) by Richelle Mead Succubus Shadows (Georgina Kincaid, #5) by Richelle Mead

message 5: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 28, 2011 12:57AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) You also might want to try a mainstream PNR group. There are several non-ya ones on GR.

message 6: by Tina (new)

Tina (Observationsofanovice) | 15 comments Any recs for those?

message 7: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jun 28, 2011 12:56AM) (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Nah. Just click on "groups" on the home page and do a search for paranormal romance. They're all about the same. Most of them are so big that there's not a lot of real personal interaction. If you're new to adult pnr/uf, any basic pnr group should be enough to get you started just by reading through the posts.

In all honesty, I think the best series to start with is Night Huntress. It has action, romance, a fair amount of detailed sex without taking up too much plot, and it's got a lot of snarky humor. It reads like a combination of paranormal romance and urban fantasy, so you get the best of both genres.

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (cattymccat) | 754 comments NIGHT HUNTRESS!!!! Best scenes ever... lol

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh you so have to read the Night Huntress series and Georgina Kincaid series..two of my fav series!

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Read Fever its amazing

message 11: by Tina (new)

Tina (Observationsofanovice) | 15 comments thanks everyone! so far i got through the fever series, night huntress series and highlander series!!

message 12: by Ailish (new)

Ailish (ailishmaria) Try the Downside Ghosts series bt Stacia Kane. Book one is Unholy Ghosts.

message 13: by Carole (new)

Carole (4liverpool) kaytee wrote: "While I do love reading the YA stuff and feeling reminiscent about my teenage days, sometimes I do want a read that is a bit more challenging and.... less censored or PG-13 or even Rated G, for lac..."

I agree with you on your post. You might try Kristina Douglas fallen series. It was really good. Oh and Charlaine Harris Sookie stackhouse series - wow, especially book 4 with Eric.

message 14: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Harsch Try DREAMING DANGEROUSLY. It's about a teen whose nightmares come true after she meets a guy who pushes his thoughts at her.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda (blondieblack) | 1 comments Kathleen wrote: "Try DREAMING DANGEROUSLY. It's about a teen whose nightmares come true after she meets a guy who pushes his thoughts at her."

I can vouch for Dreaming Dangerously... It was a very good read... and I highly recommend it.

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Harsch Linda wrote: "Kathleen wrote: "Try DREAMING DANGEROUSLY. It's about a teen whose nightmares come true after she meets a guy who pushes his thoughts at her."

I can vouch for Dreaming Dangerously... It was a ve..."

Kathleen wrote: "Try DREAMING DANGEROUSLY. It's about a teen whose nightmares come true after she meets a guy who pushes his thoughts at her."

Thanks Linda! I have a new blogsite for you to check out. It's at www.kathleenharsch.blogspot.com. Go add yourself there! Also, I'm going to be using the blog more and more as an update for what I'm reading and writing.

message 17: by Amelle (new)

Amelle (amellebooklover) | 5 comments Hello all! I discovered this book from a group of facebook called I Heart Books... I've loved it with a passion it is had for me to explain. This version of Red Riding made me laugh and cry. She's not weak and doesn't have to be saved all the time by the boys, but also she saves the boy she loves. Werewolves and magic and she even rides a motorcycle. I kinda just want to be her, you know. You should check it out! :>

A Tale of Red Riding Rise Of The Alpha Huntress by Neo Edmund

message 18: by Lanell (new)

Lanell Horton (hortonsgirl4life) | 21 comments It looks interesting, thanks! I just added it to TBR list.