The Romance Reviews discussion

Un-active threads > (July '11) TRR reading challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jun 27, 2011 11:07PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic July challenge theme: Man...it's hot ;)
challenge 0/5, bonus 0/4, super

Author: Male romance author

Say it: title has a word such as male, man, boy, he, his etc

Cover me: wasn't too hard finding a shirtless male last month, was it? How about a man holding his...gun? (or sword! The male character should be holding an object of choice)

Theme: M/M romance

Character: A hero! Warrior, fireman, protector. A male main character that is fierce, alpha and knows his woman comes first ;)

Spell MALE using letters from the first word in the title. Or the chacters FIRST name or the author's FIRST or LAST name.
M
A
L
E

Super bonus: fireworks display! Find book covers with colors that create your very own firework display. Make sure to list the cover :)

message 2: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jun 29, 2011 08:45AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Reserved
Miss Kenjii
Bridget
Sassy
Bronwyn

message 3: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Aug 04, 2011 11:03AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic *RRC is not for this challenge, I just needed a place to keep track of my notes :)

Challenge 2/5, bonus 2/4, super

Author:

Say it:

Cover me:

Theme: Healing Holly

Character: Megan's Mark by Lora Leigh (finished in July but had no way to post until now)

Spell MALE using letters from the first word in the title. Or the chacters FIRST name or the author's FIRST or LAST name.
M
A
LThe Naked Truth by Lilly Cain
E- Enemy Overnight by Robin L. Rotham

*RRC RTM ITALIAN
L- Megan's Mark by Lora Leigh
U
G
L-The Naked Truth by Lilly Cain
I
O

Super bonus: fireworks display! Find book covers with colors that create your very own firework display. Make sure to list the cover :)
]

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Cool! Quick question though, if the covers of the books we're reading happen to have colors that we have seen in fireworks displays do those count for the super bonus part of the challenge?

Or do the books for the super bonus have to be separate from the books being done for the main part of the challenge?

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Another question? And this sounds kind of silly while I'm thinking of it but it kind of popped in my head.

Cover me: wasn't too hard finding a shirtless male last month, was it? How about a man holding his...gun? (or sword! Any weapon of choice)

I know you said gun or sword etc. Um if the male character is a paranormal of some kind, would fangs or claws count as weapons?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic The books in the bonus r separate from the challenge books. The male on the cover should be holding an object :) but good questions. Thanks for asking :)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Ok, thanks Miss Kenjii!

message 8: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 126 comments Sounds like great fun--count me in!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Great Bridget, welcome :) again, lol

message 10: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 350 comments Mod
I'm in but I won't be able to start building a list for a while. Work has me swamped!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments This sounds like fun but I'm not sure I'll be in this time around.

There's this other reading challenge that I'm seriously considering doing and it's a reasonably long one so I think it's going to take most of my attention, I might join you guys in August!

Good luck everyone!

message 12: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 140 comments I shall give it a go again. Now to choose the books.

message 13: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jun 29, 2011 08:45AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Welcome Bronwyn :) remember you can list as you go and choose to complete 1,3, or 5 Books of the challenge. Any bonus is always extra!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I forgot you could choose how many you wanted to do! If I have time I might get back to this challenge, maybe I'll do it at the same time as I do my other one.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Choose books for both. Kill two birds and all that..:)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I might do that! Thanks Miss Kenjii!

message 17: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 140 comments Here is my choice so far.

Author - The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks
Say It - His Wicked Secret by Eve Silver
Cover Me - Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K Hamilton
Theme -
Character -

BONUS

M - A Highlander of her Own by Melissa Mayhue or Scarlett Feathers by Maeve Binchey - audio
A - Drink, Play, R@#k by Andrew Gottlieb
L - Reckless Love by Elizabeth Lowell - audio
E - "Irish Magic" - (1) Galway Bay by Morgan Llywelyn (character Eileen Costello) - 01/07/11

SUPER BONUS - fireworks or the colour of

Swallowing Darkness (Meredith Gentry, #7) by Laurell K. Hamilton - will this do as a weapon? Can someone give me some ideas on M/M romance?

message 18: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jun 30, 2011 09:10PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I have a shelf listed as 'romance male male on my profile. My favorite to re read is Heaven. He is holding an object, so that will do :)

message 19: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (last edited Jul 10, 2011 10:25AM) (new)

THEME: Man is it Hot in Here!

5/5 Challenge, 3/4 Bonus, 3 Super Bonus

Author: The Grass is Always Greener Brindle Chase completed 7/8/11

Say it: His completed 7/10/11

Cover me: Forbidden Desire by Carolina Valdez completed 7/1/11

Theme: The First Real Thing completed 7/2/11

Character: Strong Arms Of The Law completed 7/3/11

M: Marla Monroe Peyton's Pleasure completed 7/8/11
A: Kasi Alexander Becoming sage completed 7/7/11
L: Lord of the Fading Lands (currently reading on audiobook)
E: Entangled Trio completed 7/9/11

A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels, #1) by Sylvia Day A Touch of Crimson completed 7/3/11
Trey (Red Hot & Blue, #1) by Cat Johnson Trey completed 7/9/11
Jack (Red, Hot, & Blue, #2) by Cat Johnson Jack completed 7/9/11

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I'm going to use Brindle and my guy too Sassy :)

message 21: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Sizzlin Miss Kenjii wrote: "I'm going to use Brindle and my guy too Sassy :)"

I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that! LMAO

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Lol, I meant *as* my male romance author ;p

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I'm working on this as I go, I don't have any official titles yet but I'm working on it.

I'm a little confused about the Say It part of the challenge though. Could someone please elaborate?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic The title contains a male affirmative such as...well...male :) he, his, men. I will also except combos like gentleman or woman..if it's a series and a male word is in the title such as black dagger brotherhood. I will except that too.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Ok call me slow, but I'm still not sure I get it. Sorry.

message 26: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Ok, Gabrielle, the one I'm using is the book His.

you could also you Male Call or A Hot Man Is the Best Revenge.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Oh ok, so any book that has those words in it?

So for ex. I might be using this book because so far it's the only one that I have that might work.

His Darkest Hunger

So that one would work?

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Cool! Sorry it took me so long to get it, sometimes my brain has a hard catching up with the rest of me. :)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic :), np. I got Sassy to back me up

message 31: by Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (last edited Jul 22, 2011 11:26AM) (new)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Ok, gonna start posting now!

My July challenge! Man Is He Hot! (Little play on the challenge theme!) 1/? Complete

Say It: His Darkest Hunger (Jaguar Warriors, #1) by Juliana Stone

Author: (Male Romance Author.) Storm Chaser by Mark R Hunter by Mark R HunterDone! 7-14-2011 4/5 Stars!

My Super Bonus Books! 1/? Complete!

Red:Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Done! 7-10-2011 4/5 Stars!

Light Purple: The Accidental Werewolf (Accidental Friends, #1) by Dakota Cassidy

Light Blue: TBD

Pale Yellow/Gold Yellow: When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1) by Kieran Kramer (Will be starting on next!)

Pink:When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Happily Ever Afters, #2) by Eloisa James Done! 7-22-2011 4/5 Stars

White: A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1) by Cathy Maxwell

Spell M-A-L-E 1/4 Complete!

Spell the word MALE using letters from the first word in the title. Or the chacters FIRST name or the author's FIRST or LAST name.

M -Magic Bites Done! 7-16-2011 4/5 Stars!

message 32: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Oooh Gabrielle are you just starting the fever books? I loved, loved, LOVED that series!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments *raises hand guiltily.* Yes I'm just starting them, I'm reading it for another challenge so I figured why not have it count for this one as well.

I loved her Highlander books and I've heard good things about her fever series, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm only on ch. 8 but it's not too bad so far!

message 34: by Bridget (last edited Jul 08, 2011 09:06AM) (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 126 comments I'd love to hear what you think of the Fever series, Ladies. I've just finished the third book in the series, but am going to hold off a bit before polishing off the last two....

In the meantime:
July challenge theme: Man...it's hot ;)
challenge 0/5, bonus 1/4, super: 1/...

Author:

Say it: When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn When He Was Wicked (Currently reading)

Cover me:

Theme:

Character: Warrior Of The Isles by Debbie Mazzuca Warrior Of The Isles

Bonus: MALE

M: Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever by Karen Marie Moning ***

A: Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price Grave Dance (Alex Craft)

L: Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase

E: Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver

Super bonus: fireworks display! 1 of...

Purple: ***Wicked Becomes You by Meredith Duran Wicked Becomes You*****

Green: One Night With You by Sophie Jordan One Night With You (Currently reading)

message 35: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Bridget, I LOVED the fever series. It wasn't as steamy as the reads I usually indulge in, but I think that's why I liked it so much. It was more about kickin' ass than romance.

I also liked Mac's character and the growth and maturity she has throughout the series. By the end, she is so different than the girl in the first book who talked more about her outfits and nail polish than anything else!

message 36: by Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (last edited Jul 08, 2011 09:23PM) (new)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I'm on ch. 19 and I'm kind of getting into it, the one thing that I don't like/but also like about the book. If thatt makes any sense is Jericho Barrons! He's the most arrogant,jerky,cold hearted,insensitive,etc. etc. I've read about so far.

I mean geeze, I like Mackayla and her transformation throughout the book is very intriguing. But I mean how on earth can you stand Barrons, I mean maybe I'll like him a little more if I keep reading the series, but right now there are parts of the book where I've kind of wanted to give him a piece of my mind.

Silly I know. He's a made up character but still.

message 37: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 126 comments Not silly at all, Gabrielle! I've definitely started yelling out loud at characters before while reading. It wouldn't be any fun if they weren't real (or realistic, at least).
I'll be honest, Sassy, and say I struggled to get through Book 3. It felt rather like "I know where this series is going, so let's haul it there with undue force." A lot of Mac's decisions seemed really poorly thought out, but sufficed to get her to that Church. Anyways...
I have a HUGE soft spot for Barrons, though it took a while for him to grow on me. By the end of Book 2, I was completely sold. :)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Ok, I feel a little better now knowing that I'm not the only one who couldn't stand him at first, he seems like a very attractive character so I'm hoping that he'll eventually grow on me as well.

message 39: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

Barrons! LMAO. I loved to HATE him. LMAO. I was thinking I'd probably kill him but the sex would be hot. LOL

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I just finished DarkFever a few minutes ago, it wasn't too bad! Barrons still drives me a little crazy but I think I like him... a little. I'm seriously considering reading the next book in the series!

It gets a 4/5 from me!

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments I have a strange question to ask. Do you guys think that the color white would show up in a fireworks display?

message 42: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

I do. If you have white, I say go for it!

And I think the fever series gets better with each book.

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Ok thanks Sassafrass! I've got pink,pale yellow, and light purple going right now so white will be the next color on my list if I have enough time!

Somehow it's seems like July is moving faster then I thought it would!

Thanks again, Sassafrass!

message 44: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

5/5 Challenge, 4/4 Bonus, 3 Super Bonus

L: Lord of the Fading Lands (currently reading on audiobook) completed7/13/11

A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels, #1) by Sylvia Day A Touch of Crimson completed 7/3/11
Trey (Red Hot & Blue, #1) by Cat Johnson Trey completed 7/9/11
Jack (Red, Hot, & Blue, #2) by Cat Johnson Jack completed 7/9/11

message 45: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 126 comments Sassy never fails to amaze me--nicely done!

Time for an update:

July challenge theme: Man is it Hot in Here!
challenge 1/5, bonus 2/4, super: 3/...

Author:

Say it: When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn When He Was Wicked *****

Cover me:

Theme:

Character: Warrior Of The Isles by Debbie Mazzuca Warrior Of The Isles (Nearly done!)

Bonus: MALE

M: Faefever (Fever, #3) by Karen Marie Moning Faefever by Karen Marie Moning ***

A: Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price Grave Dance (Alex Craft)

L: Don't Tempt Me (Fallen Women #2) by Loretta Chase Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase ***

E: Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver (Currently reading)

Super bonus: fireworks display! 3 of...

Purple: ***Wicked Becomes You by Meredith Duran Wicked Becomes You*****

Green: One Night With You by Sophie Jordan One Night With You (Nearly done!)

White: The Naked King (Naked Nobility, #7) by Sally MacKenzie The Naked King *****

Yellow: Ghostland (Ghostland World, #1) by Jory Strong Ghostland ****

Blue: Dead By Morning (Griffin Powell, #12) by Beverly Barton Dead By Morning

message 46: by Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (last edited Jul 31, 2011 02:14PM) (new)

Gabrielle Blaque/~Bhlack Benehvolence~ (werewolfgrl1) | 226 comments Time for an Update!

My July challenge! Man Is He Hot! 2/5 Complete!

Author: (Male Romance Author.)Storm Chaser by Mark R Hunter Done! 7-14-2011 4/5 Stars!

Say It: His Darkest Hunger His Darkest Hunger (Jaguar Warriors, #1) by Juliana Stone Done! 7-31-2011 4/5 Stars! (Finished!)

My Bonus books: Spell the word Male! 1/4 Complete!

M - Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Done! 7-16-2011 4/5 Stars! >

My Super Bonus Books! Create your own literary fireworks display! 4 Colors Complete!

Red:Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning Done! 7-10-2011 4/5 Stars!

Pink:When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Happily Ever Afters, #2) by Eloisa James Done! 7-22-2011 4/5 Stars!

Light Purple:The Accidental Werewolf (Accidental Friends, #1) by Dakota Cassidy Done! 7-26-2011 4/5 Stars!

Pale Yellow/Gold Yellow:When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1) by Kieran Kramer Done! 7-29-2011 4/5 Stars!

message 47: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (new)

for anyone questioning firework colors:

Firework Colorants

Color Compound
Red strontium salts, lithium salts
lithium carbonate, Li2CO3 = red
strontium carbonate, SrCO3 = bright red
Orange calcium salts
calcium chloride, CaCl2
calcium sulfate, CaSO4·xH2O, where x = 0,2,3,5
Gold incandescence of iron (with carbon), charcoal, or lampblack
Yellow sodium compounds
sodium nitrate, NaNO3
cryolite, Na3AlF6
Electric White white-hot metal, such as magnesium or aluminum
barium oxide, BaO
Green barium compounds + chlorine producer
barium chloride, BaCl+ = bright green
Blue copper compounds + chlorine producer
copper acetoarsenite (Paris Green), Cu3As2O3Cu(C2H3O2)2 = blue
copper (I) chloride, CuCl = turquoise blue
Purple mixture of strontium (red) and copper (blue) compounds
Silver burning aluminum, titanium, or magnesium powder or flakes

message 48: by Sassafrass, aka Rho, reader of erotica (last edited Aug 02, 2011 03:34AM) (new)

5/5 Challenge, 4/4 Bonus, 10 Super Bonus

L: Lord of the Fading Lands (currently reading on audiobook) completed7/13/11

blue-- A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels, #1) by Sylvia Day A Touch of Crimson completed 7/3/11
red, white and blue-- Trey (Red Hot & Blue, #1) by Cat Johnson Trey completed 7/9/11
red, white and blue-- Jack (Red, Hot, & Blue, #2) by Cat Johnson Jack completed 7/9/11
yellow-- Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1) by Jacquelyn Frank Jacob 7/26/11
yellow-- Knight Moves by Jamaica Layne Knight Moves 7/31/11
red--Hot Head by Damon Suede Hot Head 7/4/11
red--A Little Harmless Lie by Melissa Schroeder[ book:A Little Harmless Lie|9859807] 7/10/11
blue--Lady of Light and Shadows (Tairen Soul, #2) by C.L. Wilson Lady of Light and Shadows 7/21/11
white--The Best Roommate by Samantha Whitney The Best Roommate 7/24/11
blue--Intern With The Vampire (Vampire General #1) by Kit Iwasaki Intern With The Vampire 7/25/11

message 49: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 140 comments Here is the result of my month, I didn't do as well as in earlier months.

Challenge 4/5: Bonus 4/4. Super Bonus 3 = 11/

Author - TheChoice by Nicholas Sparks - 4* audio 31/07/11
Say It - His Wicked Secret by Eve Silver
Cover Me - Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K Hamilton - 2* audio - 21/07/11
Theme - Between Boyfriends - 2* 26/07/11
Character - Vampire Mine - 5* 10/07/11

BONUS

M - A Highlander of her Own by Melissa Mayhue - 3* 24/07/11
A - Drink, Play, R@#k by Andrew Gottlieb - 4* 24/07/11
L - Reckless Love by Elizabeth Lowell - 3* audio - 16/07/11
E - "Irish Magic" - (1) Galway Bay by Morgan Llywelyn (character Eileen Costello) - 01/07/11

SUPER BONUS - fireworks or the colour of

The Turning by Tim Winton - 11/07/11 Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie - 3* audio - 02/07/11
Scarlet Feather by Maeve Binchy - 3* audio - 29/07/11

message 50: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bekeown) | 126 comments Update! Not as good as I'd have hoped, but better than I expected :)
And thanks for those fireworks colors--pretty nifty!

July challenge theme: Man is it Hot in Here!
challenge 4/5, bonus 4/4, super: 7/7

Author:

Say it: When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6) by Julia Quinn When He Was Wicked *****

Cover me: Tempt Me with Darkness (Doomsday Brethren, #1) by Shayla Black Tempt Me with Darkness ****

Theme: Choosing Love (Coming Out, #1) by Winona Wilder Choosing Love ***

Character: Warrior Of The Isles by Debbie Mazzuca Warrior Of The Isles ****

Bonus: MALE 4/4

A: ***American Vampire by Jennifer ArmintroutAmerican Vampire****

L: Don't Tempt Me (Fallen Women #2) by Loretta Chase Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase ****

E: Sins of the Heart (Otherkin, #1) by Eve Silver Sins of the Heart by Eve Silver ****

Super bonus: fireworks display! 7 of 7

Purple: Wicked Becomes You by Meredith Duran Wicked Becomes You*****

Green: ***One Night With You by Sophie JordanOne Night With You*****

White: The Naked King (Naked Nobility, #7) by Sally MacKenzie The Naked King *****

Yellow: Ghostland (Ghostland World, #1) by Jory Strong Ghostland ****

Blue:Dead By Morning (Griffin Powell, #12) by Beverly Barton Dead By Morning***

Red: Too Wicked to Tame by Sophie Jordan Too Wicked to Tame ****

Orange: The Blindfold by Anya Winter The Blindfold ***

« previous 1