City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) City of Ashes discussion

What would have happened if Jace and Clary were actually brother and sister?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Dawn Hale What do you think would have happened to the series if Jace and Clary were blood related?

Kimi That would be soooooo sad! Wow. And wrong. It would be so sad. The book wouldn't work! lol

Nurlely What a funny question. Surely there will be no Mortal Instruments series.

Kimi lol

Taarn I would be very gutted for both of them ... and the book would fail

Nurlely If there is a book...LOL

Kimi I know right! and there would have to be a new male character introduced and then Jace would be really weird but eventually for some strong reason they would realize that it was wrong to be in love like that and they'd each find different lovers. It would be definitely weird and there would be a lot more characters! lol

Amanda Derrick I would cry if they were really brother and sister. i mean they are perfect for each other and they belong together. plus you can totally tell they are in love with each other

Kimi Seriously!

message 10: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Hale Nurlely wrote: "What a funny question. Surely there will be no Mortal Instruments series."

Yeah there wouldnt be

message 11: by Shep (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shep Incest.

message 12: by Lena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lena Liu I would have threw the book against my bedroom wall and screamed...all done mentally of course guys! But seriously, I would have been so mad.

message 13: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Lena wrote: "I would have threw the book against my bedroom wall and screamed...all done mentally of course guys! But seriously, I would have been so mad."

I don't know who wouldn't wanna do that girl! lol I'd want to as well... I just kept telling myself that this is all going to work out some kinda way. =)

Christina I would have felt guilty for the rest of my life because I support the Jace and Clary pairing. Even at the end of the first book, I still wanted them to be together- only because I was confident that it would work out in the end of the series.

message 15: by Dawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dawn Hale Christina wrote: "I would have felt guilty for the rest of my life because I support the Jace and Clary pairing. Even at the end of the first book, I still wanted them to be together- only because I was confident t..."

Same.. i was rooting for them from the begining.. then i suddenly they were siblings!! my first thought was.. "this is going to be interesting"

Yasmeen if they were actually siblings it would be so awkward, and sad since they are perfect for eacthother..

message 17: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna McGonnell I think jace would have killed himself. and that would suck!

message 18: by Liza (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liza I didn't realize that spoilers were allowed in the discussion, so when I was reading the third book I caught sight of this and became disappointed. As I was reading it, maybe because of the spoiler, the explanation as to how they were not related and the role Sebastian played, seemed convenient and unbelievable to me. I don't know if I would have reacted differently had I found out about this tidbit afterwards.

I'm not sure what would have happened, but I was thinking that the author would go down the Rick Riordan route instead of having them not being related.

In some ways their romance while brother and sister gave it a more realistic feel, unlike series like Twilight, because their love was imperfect and perverted-though not by their choice.

At the time, some of the foreshadowing was leading me to realize that angel blood or angel relations would played a role. I was thinking that maybe a relationship between the two would be okay if they were brother and sister if they had angel blood. (Sort of the way the author explains why brothers and sisters can date in the Percy Jackson series.)

She took a risk making the perfect pair into siblings, but I think she went the safe route to satiate fans and ensure the pair could date.

We'll never know how different it would have been, but I just hope that the way their relationship was resolved wasn't the result of fan pressure that Clare must have been facing.

Yasmeen ^^exactly

message 20: by nine (last edited Jul 04, 2011 09:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

nine If jace and clary were really related i would totally be super upset. Those two are meant to be together. At first when i read they were related i was like "huh? no way!!". i practically drove my friend crazy asking if they were really related (she had read the other books). But i was totally happy when i found out that they weren't related.

Inês if that hapenned the Mortal instruments series wouldn't exist and i would be SO sad lol

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

same here I would be freaked :)

Nikki I guess it would have turned into a VC Andrews book.

Kania I'll regret reading this book and did not want to read the sequel

Sofia I'd probably ship them anyway. ; - ; Because I'm seriously messed up. I'd probably just write fanfiction to explain the relation away. ;]

message 26: by Shivani (last edited Jul 08, 2011 10:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shivani INCEST!! D:<

Their lives would have been a living hell. Not that it wasn't already, but worse..

Alexa OMG they cn't be sister and brother!!!!!

message 28: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi lol hahahaha

Allen ABH Then Clary would use Simon........AWKWARD XD

Hayley Ewww, nasty! When I read that they thought they were I was like omg what am I reading?!?
Haha

Jayden I really thought they were related and still supported them. I know about the whole genetics things when people of close relation have children but if even so if they were in love I would support it anyway.

Lydia It would be aweful! When i finished the first book my mouth dropped! If they were really related then they would both torture themselves (like jace did the whole second book!) until they found somebody else to be with and just wouldn't be the same it would just be awkward! Just think if Clary ended with Simon and Jace ended with idk...Aline! It just doesn't work!

message 33: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Seriously? I was so upset when they weren't siblings. It felt like such a cop-out. They should have gotten together regardless. They weren't raised together, so they were only related in the biological sense, which we're always being told is relatively unimportant.

As an afterthought, I think this series made me decide the incest should be legal (although certainly not encouraged).

@Jayden: Actually, there is a very low chance of genetic defect in the offspring of siblings. Look up Cleopatra's ancestry.

Nurlely @ Alexandra: It will be incest then. And I do not think any writers will give their consent against incest.

message 35: by Alex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alex Nurlely wrote: "@ Alexandra: It will be incest then. And I do not think any writers will give their consent against incest."

I'm saying that that shouldn't be the case.

Nurlely Alexandra wrote: "I'm saying that that shouldn't be the case."

And I have answered that that is not likely. Incest is always gross.

message 37: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ if they were brother and sister, i think i would have cried like no other...

Nurlely I think I will burn my books in sadness...:(

message 39: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nurlely wrote: "I think I will burn my books in sadness...:("

gahh the faults of a kindle lol

Nurlely Ohh...then simply delete them...:)

message 41: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ haha THANK GOD that they arent bro and sis!

Jayden I think what I don't understand is why would you cry over it if they were? Like, okay, I get it for the most part we're raised not told that incest is okay. Still, Jace and Clary - like Alexandra said - didn't know each other for a majority of their lives.

If the incest is consensual, why would you hate it? Because it makes you uncomfortable? But it's really matters to the people in the relationship. If it's okay with them then why should anyone fight to stop it? I get that this is a book, and they aren't related with is all dandy. Still, if they were they still had the same feelings. They still wanted to be together. Try to walk a mile in that position. You meet the person that you want to spend your life with and you have a very nice relationship and then you find out you're related. But you didn't know before, and it's not like feelings can be shut off. It's illegal in many places true but more often than not it's mainly an issue of social taboo. Either way I just don't think it should be considered gross at all.

message 43: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Jayden wrote: "I think what I don't understand is why would you cry over it if they were? Like, okay, I get it for the most part we're raised not told that incest is okay. Still, Jace and Clary - like Alexandra s..."

Interesting view. I think with most people it's because they are uncomfortable with it. Especially if you have a brother/sister. That's how it is for me. It would just be way too weird. I dunno if I'd watch the movies when they came out if they really were brother and sister. lol I'm glad I read the series.

message 44: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Jayden wrote: "I think what I don't understand is why would you cry over it if they were? Like, okay, I get it for the most part we're raised not told that incest is okay. Still, Jace and Clary - like Alexandra s..."

You have a point, and my "crying" was an exaggeration by the way... I think that Clary and Jace both think it's wrong to have feelings for a sibling like that, and that's why I'd feel sorry for them... It's like a forbidden love, you know. They thought that they couldn't be together if they were brother and sister, if I'm not mistaken.

message 45: by Muna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Muna No it wouldn't work !! The story would be all wrong. Mortal Instruments is all about them, and their love. If that would happen....nah I can't even thing about it -.-

message 46: by Kimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimi Muna wrote: "No it wouldn't work !! The story would be all wrong. Mortal Instruments is all about them, and their love. If that would happen....nah I can't even thing about it -.-"

lol I couldn't think about it either!

Lhyra101697 Hinaloc Scarlet wrote: "Incest."

So true.. haha

Elina Fatourou everybody would hate Cassandra Clare

Andrea if Jace and Clary were actually brother and sister... i think Jace will be tormented forever and Clary will end up with Simon then Isabelle will be heartbroken and will end up as a badass spinster.. ;))))

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

write a very strongly worded letter to Miss Clare

« previous 1