College Students! discussion

college talk > this semester

Comments Showing 1-50 of 210 (210 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments what classes are people taking this semester?

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I am taking Physical Geography Lecture, English and Physical Geography Lab

message 3: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
i'm taking:
British Literature
Issues in Contemporary Lit
Entrepreneurship
Business Policy and Strategy
Personal Finance

message 4: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments American Sign Language IV
American Deaf Culture
Deaf Literature
Structure of American Sign Language

I'm done with all my GEs, so I get to take all Deaf classes. Woohoo!

message 5: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments My University just went on strike!!! So these are the classes I should be in:
Child Psychopathology
Music Therapy
Advanced Stats
Tests and Measuremens
Social Science Research Methods

message 6: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) Your university went on strike? who is on strike? how does that happen? does that mean you don't have to go to class?

message 7: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

oh my goodness! how long is the strike for??

message 8: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments It's the University of Windsor. It has been on stike for 2 days so far and we do not know how long it will last for. So no classes for me until the stike is over. Hopefully it won't be long because I don't want to cram material in my 3rd year.

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet I am taking:
Assessment in Special Education
Methods in Special Education
Math methods for students with special needs
Language Literacy for students with severe delays
And my 130 hours of observation in an elementary school

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

wow that's quite the busy schedule!
I was so close to doing special ed as my major because of the fact that i worked with 2 autistic children for about 5 or 6 years..so your classes really seem interesting to me!

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Why is Windsor on strike? Teacher salaries?

message 12: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Exactly! Apperenlty seasonal teachers get paid 5000 dollars per class they teach and they would like more money because it is the lowest paying University salary in Canada.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) We had a similar situation at my community college. Luckily they were able to reach an agreement and not go on strike.

message 14: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Silvia..how did everything work out with your school?

message 15: by April (new)

April | 39 comments I am taking: Astronomy (hate), Creative Writing (love), Law (hate), Social Psychology (like), Internship (loved, completed this summer) but still am enrolled. 15 hrs total. Not too bad.

message 16: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Social Problems
Comp I
Western Civ
Intro to Mass Comm
Fundamentals of Broadcasting

...gosh I'm such a freshie.

Jamie, are you liking British Lit? I have to take it for my minor and don't know what to expect.

Silvia, did everything calm down?

message 17: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) April why don't you like Astronomy? I was thinking about taking an Astronomy class for science since that's one of my worst subjects.

message 18: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Im taking Anglo Saxon & Medieval Literature and Culture, Villains and Bombshells:Hollywood's Narratives of Ethnicity and Race, and Foundations of Civic Engagement.

I took Astronomy in high school and hated it, way too much math for me, so hopefully it's going good for you April.

Cati, I took British Lit last semester and I don't know what it will be like for your school but I loved it. Alot of short stories/poems and two easy reader response papers was all I had to do. If you like British Literature and don't mind the works being in old english sometimes you should do fine.

message 19: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Oh cool sounds like fun! Now I can't wait. I hate the unexpected. Your classes sound tough but interesting. How are you liking them?

message 20: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Are you all ready for a boring list?

Cost Accounting
Auditing
Advanced Accounting
Operations Management

Low load this semester, but I was so burned out after Spring taking full courses and working about 60 hours a week. Wanted something light.

message 21: by April (new)

April | 39 comments Astronomy....you would think it would be a class about stars, planets etc. NOPE, we talk about hydrogen bonds, nitrogen, blah blah blah. It does indeed include math and when my brain sees numbers it goes into super shut down mode. We don't have test but quizes instead one every week and they are soooo hard! Ugh, only 3 weeks of classes left thank goodness.

message 22: by April (new)

April | 39 comments Tami, I assume you are majoring in Accounting? I used to work for an CPA. I was in charge of property taxes, sales tax each month for different businesses and I would help to get information together for tax returns. I thought that was going to be my major at one time but change my mind.

message 23: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Yes, I work at a CPA Firm and my major is Accounting. I first chose it in high school, then during the first year or so of college, decided I didn't want to do it (or anything) so I dropped out.

Then when I applied to my current employer for an admin position that was open, they turned me down, and I was bummed. I wanted to get a toe in on the business and eventually go back to school.

They called about a week later and asked if I could come to a second interview. It was wierd because they already said I didn't get the job.

So I went in, and they decided that even though they really didn't need to hire for the para level, that they would like me to start the next week. Oh, and I was to go back to school and get at least my Bachelor Degree, and hopefully my Masters. Not an admin job, which is great, because I would have been very bored with that one.

If I had really applied myself, I would have been done with my Bachelors this Spring, but I slacked because of the burnout last year!

Wow! I am not usually so long winded. Sorry if it bored. :)

message 24: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Last semester I took a FULL two courses. Haha. I was sooo burnt out. But I had my most amaaazing course ever. Intro to Fiction with an incredibly prof.

this semester I'm taking five. They're almost all boring. I transferred so I have to do a bunch of core things that didn't transfer.

Chem (a liberal arts chem class. I can't handle it. I like my sceince sciency and my arts artsy.)
Speech
Linguistics
Masterpieces in World Lit (excluding American & Brit)
Religion In Culture

message 25: by Kristy (new)

Kristy Caiti, my classes aren't that bad, alot of reading but overall they are enjoyable. I changed my major this semester though so now they are just considered electives so at this point as long as I just pass them its all good :)

I took two of the classes you are currently taking when I was a Freshmen, I miss my Comp 1 the teacher was great my boyfriend is taking Social Problems next semester, I know it wont be exactly the same of course but overall how is it?

message 26: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Well that's good to hear that they aren't too bad. What did you change your major to?

Social Problems is pretty good. It's a tough class, but very interesting. You learn about Urban Problems, Drugs, Social Inequalities, and that's just scratching the surface.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Ugh... this semester I've got..

Basic Public Speaking (I've put it off for 2 years now)
Advertising
Organizational Communications
Ethics

message 28: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Lauren what's your major?

message 29: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) We've read Dante, Don Quixote, Candide, The Metamorphosis, Confessions, Death of Ivan Ilyich, a bunch of stuff. Oh, and some of the Bible. And the Odyssey. I can't remember what else!

But yeah, I do really like this class. It's my only non core class. Makes me happy!

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Caiti, my major is Corporate Communications & I'm minoring in Computer Information Systems. Yup, it is as boring as it sounds too.

message 31: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 18 comments My subjects this sem...well here goes:

Microelectronics
Electronic Devices and Integrated Circuits
Digital Electronics and Computer Organization
Fiber Optics and Optoelectronics.

Yeah, I know it sounds hell boring :(

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Next semester for me is even worse...

Biology
Accounting
American History I
Business & Professional Writing

Ick. But after that, I'll be done with all of my general ed! Thank goodnes... I've been putting off Biology for 2 years now!

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

wow Ashitay..that sounds really crazy! haha i would be so lost in those classes!

Lauren..i hope you have a better time in Accounting than I did..ugh i was soo bad at it.

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Jamie... this is the 2nd time I taking it... :(

message 35: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

aww..you poor thing..i always wanted to throttle myself with a shoelace while taking that class. my brain just doesn't function that way.

message 36: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Lauren and Jamie: You two make me laugh! I know that a lot of people have a difficult time with it, but it is second nature to me, so I have a hard time understanding why. Good Luck Lauren!

My next semester is a little full. I bet I drop at least one.

Tax II (Corporate Tax)
Accounting Practicum
Accounting Information Systems
Managerial Finance
Marketing Principles
Writing for the Professions (my first english class that I have had to take in college, my high school class covered them all up til this one)

message 37: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Tami, that is a crazy amount of classes!
I think these are the classes I'm taking next semester:
*Advanced American Sign Language Conversation
*Deaf People and Hearing People: A Comparative Cultural Analysis
*Deaf History
*The Deaf Learner
It's always awesome when your general ed is finished!
I do think that high school should constitute a "general ed" and that college should focus more on your specific area though. I wonder why they make us go through the same stuff twice?

message 38: by Janet (new)

Janet Tami, that really is a crazy amount!! No thanks!! :)

Next semester I am taking:
Advanced Assessment in Special Education
Behavioral Dimensions of Students with Exceptionalities II
Support Systems in Special Education
Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students with Disabilities
130 Hours of observation in secondary significant support needs

Nothing too bad and the timing of my classes is pretty sweet and works out nicely. I am just looking forward to it being done and then time for student teaching!! Yay!

Sounds like everyone is going to be busy again next semester!!

message 39: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

not meee..haha..i'll be job hunting!! :)
& waiting to go to LA next fall!

message 40: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Gr...I hate job hunting, that's what I'm in the process right now so I feel your pain...or excitement.

Next semster I'm going to be focusing on my minor so I'm excited for that.

Comp II
World Lit II
Intro to Lit
Recent American History
Broadcast Management

message 41: by Mykee (new)

Mykee  Tan  (chineseveganboy) | 28 comments I'm taking up:
Calculus for Business and Economics,
Poetry,
Research,
Filipino studies,
Environmental Science (One for lecture and another for Laboratory work) and
Physical Education (Fencing),

message 42: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

guys..i just want to tell you this so you all can share in my excitement..

this semester is SO close to being over for me..and school being done!

this coming week..my LAST week of classes
& then is finals week..which i have nothing..no classes..no finals..the only thing i have is a paper that is due..woo hoo!! :)

so basically..ONE WEEK LEFT!

message 43: by Katerina (new)

Katerina | 252 comments aww how exciting..i'm so jealous of you that you are graduating. finish strong..if you can! haha

message 44: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Congrats Jamie!

message 45: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 18 comments Congrats Jamie! All the best!

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments Congratulations Jamie! It's an exciting time!

message 47: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

thanks everyone!!

when is everyone else done for the semester/when are finals?

and is anyone else graduating?

message 48: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) I'll be done with my first semster on December 12th. And then finals is the week after.

message 49: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

wow..my school must be getting out really early this year..december 12th is our last day of anything.

good luck caiti! do you have alot of work to do still?

message 50: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Thanks! Kind of. I don't know I'm done in my mind which is a bad thing....

« previous 1 3 4 5