Holocaust and genocide discussion

Has a 'comprehensive' history of the Holocaust been published?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zwelbast (last edited Sep 16, 2008 11:10AM) (new)

Zwelbast | 6 comments Mod
Does anybody think that a 'comprehensive' history of the Holocaust has already been published?

What about Nazi Germany and the Jews and The Years of Extermination by Saul Friedlander?

or the maybe the well known but elder The destruction of European Jews by Raul Hilberg

Any recommendations or comments are welcome.

message 2: by Tim (last edited Sep 17, 2008 05:26AM) (new)

Tim I don't think any single title on the Holocaust is truly comprehensive, at least not in the strictest sense, because there’s simply too much information to distill into a single work. That being said, I think if you’re looking for a comprehensive read, Friedlander's two volume-set and Hilberg's three volume-set (that you mentioned) would both get the job done. There are also a couple of single volume books which are fairly comprehensive, like Martin Gilbert's The Holocaust: A History of the Jews of Europe During the Second World War and Deborah Dwork and Robert Jan Van Pelt's Holocaust: A History and even Yehuda Bauer's A History of the Holocaust.

message 3: by Donald (last edited Sep 17, 2008 07:25AM) (new)

Donald (donroc) | 6 comments Two works of fiction are no longer read that were popular decades ago about life in the ocncentration camps.

Spark of Life by Erich maria Remarque
The Last of the Just by Andre Schwartz-Bart(?)

message 4: by Zwelbast (last edited Sep 17, 2008 08:55AM) (new)

@ Tim
I agree of course no title is truly comprehensive.
'Holocaust: A History': this book I know: it is indeed a good one volume book.
The other two, I have heard of but have not yet read them. Thanks for the suggestion.

message 5: by Zwelbast (last edited Sep 17, 2008 08:55AM) (new)

@ Donald
Thnx for the fiction titles. I will look for them.

message 7: by Coalbanks (new)

Coalbanks | 5 comments The Holocaust on Trial: History, Justice and the David Irving Libel Case (Paperback)
by D.D. Guttenplan

Let's not forget the dissenting viewpoint for what it's worth.

MAUS & Maus II for a graphic view of the Holocaust & the years after.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Michiel wrote: "Does anybody think that a 'comprehensive' history of the Holocaust has already been published?

What about Nazi Germany and the Jews and The Years of Extermination by..."

I wouldn't call it a comprehensive history. But I cam across a book a few years back -- and it was disturbing, in the extreme. I have read about the holocaust for most of my life -- but this book is one I found particularly unsettling because of its cold blooded presentation of the Nazi plan for genocide. It is called The Theory and Practice of Hell. Theory and practice of hell by Eugene Kogan

You might want to take a look at this one. If found it very insightful -- but be prepare for a disconcerting read.

message 9: by Zwelbast (new)

Thank you, Lisa,

I own this book but did not read it yet. Will put it higher on my to read list.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I havent read the books mentioned here, so thanks all for recommending them. Btw, don't forget also Leni Yahil's The Holocaust: The Fate of the European Jewry 1932-1945. I think this one should also be considered.

message 11: by Rosenkavalier (new)

Rosenkavalier | 4 comments Dear Zwelbast, the Hilberg essay is still a milestone in this field of study and, should I suggest just one book on the subject, I would definitely pick that.

If you are also looking for a less factual but very interesting history of the political and cultural environment in which nazism grew, I may suggest one of the many volumes written by George L. Mosse.

message 12: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Deus (ajdeus) | 2 comments The Great Leap-Fraud is a systematic study of the Judaic religions and its repeated holocausts through 2300 years of history. The work evaluates the Judaic scriptures of the Jews, the Christians, and the Muslims for their potential to stir hatred, violence, and terrorism. It searches for messages in the scriptures that may alter the economic behavior of societies. While providing an overview of three major religions-Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, The Great Leap-Fraud provides for the historic reasons that ultimately led to the holocaust.

The Great Leap-Fraud Social Economics of Religious Terrorism, Volume 1, Judaism and Christianity by A.J. Deus

message 13: by Rosenkavalier (new)

Rosenkavalier | 4 comments A rather questionable way to self-promote a book, Mr. Deus. And a rather questionable way to choose time and place to do so.

message 14: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Deus (ajdeus) | 2 comments Rosenkavalier, I didn't mean to use questionable methods other than answering a direct question crossed my attention. I apologize if it has come accross as such.

message 15: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 11 comments There will never be a complete comprehensive history of the Holocaust, and at that people study to get degrees in sections of the history. I suggest just reading a variety of viewpoints on the history would be best.