The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Good Reads Groups

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments We all know that TNBBC is the best group on goodreads, but what other groups are you a member of and why...

Okay I will start!

TNBBC: I had friends who I would have post comments and I would go to see what the discussion was all about... I did this for about five days and I finally just started to join in on the fun!!

The Haters Club: I enjoy reading the posts on this group, but since I just became a member, theres seems to be a lot of insider jokes that I do not get yet!

Chicks on Lit and Chick Lit- I really enjoy chick lit, especially after reading a deep book. Always looking for recommendations.

What's the Name of that book: I had to use this once and it was great how quickly I found the name of the book I was looking for..

Jodi Picoult-One of my favorite authors

Joy Fielding- Another one of my favorite authors

Goodreads feedback- To give feedback, duh :)

My own book club that I created for my girls at home, although no one contributes to it and I have had it up there for three months!!!

message 2: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Ok, so since I am moderator here, I think this is not in my best interest to post, but here ya go :)

Flight 815-ers Unite
A lost group I created/moderate. its kinda dead now, but when the show comes back on, it should really get rippin'.

Goodreads Feedback — like Angela says, DUH :)

The Haters Club - I too liked the whole bitchyness of this site, but it is a bunch of inside jokes and the few posts Ive created werent a big hit. I dont visit this one too often anymore.

BOOK-A-HOLICS — This was the site that made me want to create my own. Wes did some great things with it, but I wanted to see things get better and go further. Havent been on in ages, and am too emotionally attached to it to remove myself from it.

Christopher Moore — This one is kinda dead, but I check it just to keep abreast of his novels.

The Book Challenge — I joined here last Sept to keep a running tally of all the books I read. I like it, its fun to set goals and follow the goals set by your friends too.

Philip K Dick — I joined this to see what all the hype was about. I loved Scanner Darkly but hated VALIS and needed to vent to people who knew his novels.

Bukowski — The original dirty old man. I love this mans work. I want to own every pc of literature he has published. It will take me alot of money and alot of time, but I will prevail!

LOST Book Club — This was the reason I created my own Lost site. Again, liked what they had going, but wanted to go further with it. And again, I should remove myself from it, since the group is always dead, but sentimental attachment once again keeps my finger from the delete button.

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Oops... I forgot I am on the Book Challenge group too. I also am trying to complete a couple of challenges on there.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments I'm in other groups, but I have three main ones:

Flight 815-ers Unite-I was on Goodreads when I was sick one day and found this group. I
loved Lost, but all the groups I checked were private, so I joined this one immediately. And, I met the wonderful Lori and soon discover:

The Next Best Book Club-Because of Lori! I've been an addict since I joined.

Libba Bray Lovers!- It's my group, praising the amazingly awesome Libba Bray, who, if none of you have realized is the author of The Gemma Doyle Trilogy, which I am OBSESSED with and constantly forcing down all of your poor, already clogged throats.

message 5: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Emma, I dont think I noticed that you caught TNBBC through the Lost one.... huh. Interesting!

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments LOL. Yes, it's kind of funny, since I think most of the members learned about the Lost group through TNBBC.

message 7: by Theresa (last edited Sep 17, 2008 07:50AM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I've recently cut down on the amount of groups that I am in. Here is my list:

The Next Best Book Club - Love it! This is my favorite group, but with all the new members and posts, it is hard for me to keep up.

SciFi and Fantasy Book Club - I don't think I've ever posted anything, but I like this group and can't make myself drop it.

Urban Fantasy - I co-moderate this group with Suzann.

Paranormal Romance - Because I used to read a lot of paranormal romance although I've recently been getting bored with it.

The Rory Gilmore Book Club - I never watched Gilmore Girls, but I like the group interaction. It is a fun, friendly group.

Sookie Stackhouse Book/Show Group - Self-explanatory?

Flight 815-ers Unite - Looking forward to discussing Lost and Fringe.

and, lastly...

100+ Book Challenge - I have been tracking my book reads starting in January. I think I'm at 79 books read so I'm on track for 100 by the end of the year.

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Nadine The Next Best Book Club is the only one I'm on, but I'd be interested in 815'ers Unite and the Christopher Moore Clubs.

I did try Axis Mundi, which has a lot of the same people as the Haters Club, but there were too many inside jokes.

My schedule doesn't give me a lot of spare time, so what I have, I'm spending here.

And as I'm waiting for Lost to come back, I'm really getting into Fringe. Doesn't it have a little X Files feel to it?

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yes, Nadine, I am getting totally pulled into the whole Fringe thing.... They are terming the Fringe/Lost lovers Frosties... I love it!

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) The Next Best Book Club
Because it Rocks!

Movies We've Just Watched
Because I love Movies just as much as I love books.

Pick-a-Shelf
It's a new group and it is fun. It just started but it is different.

writing passionates
Because I write, or I try to.

African American Books
I want to read more African American books, but I don't know where to start.

TV We've Just Watched
TV is my 3rd favorite past time.

Christian Readers
Because I'm Christian and I like to read Christian books, but there isn't much activity there.

Writerpedia
Again, it's the writer in me.

50 Books 2008
I've always been in a 50 book club, this is my third year. I just recently found the one on here.

Stephen King Fans
I think the title speaks for itself.

Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising
Just joined this, want to learn how to push my book.

Banned Books
Because Banned Books need love too.

message 11: by Connie (new)

Connie | 188 comments Flight 815-ers Unite

Language & Grammar (because I can use all the help I can get! LOL)- a group for word lovers, questions about grammar, word games, etc.

Reading as Writers

But this one, of course, is the best by far!

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Libba Bray Lovers is pretty much tied with TNNBC for me, because they are both so close to my heart! (And, I created the other one).

message 13: by Sera (new)

Sera I really enjoy all of these clubs:

TNBBC, Modern Mommies, European Royalty, The Book Challenge, History is Not Boring, Russian Reader Club, Books I Want to Talk About, Our History, What's the Name of that Book?, and Q&A for Paul Coehlo.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Some of my favorite groups:

The Next Best Book Club

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

Reading from the Best Books

Supernatural Fiction Readers

Flight 815-ers Unite

Everyone's Choice

Banned Books

The hardest part about belonging to so many groups is the monthly reads! Hard to read fast enough. Maybe I should be reading more then being online.

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) I'm glad you are enjoying it here, Saved!

To add to some of the others - Chicks on Lit is a group for adult women, but I just wanted to make the note that it is not all about Chick Lit. It's a fantastic group, highly recommended.

Also True North is another nice place, for people who like to discuss the issues, etc., or want to learn more about same.

message 16: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I am in:

TNNBC duh
Libba Bray Lovers----LOVE GEMMA DOYLE
Chicks on Lit---good convo
Pick a Shelf- interesting concept.
Richard Laymon Lovers
Shapers- group of GR members from a former message board

message 17: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments I am in TNNBC, Writing Passionates, Ye Olde Story Guild, Sci-Fi and Fantasy Book Club, African American Books, Let's Discuss Our Writing, The Mystery of Victorian England (moderator), Watch Randi's Story Unfold (moderator), Writing up a Storm, The Cave of Creative Ideas, Merman and Mermaid Readers, True North, True North Book Club. I think there are more, but I can't remember them right now.

message 18: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments :) Thanks Kristie!!!!!

message 19: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments When LOST comes back on, I am so joining the 815-ers group. I love me some LOST!!

message 20: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments I'm currently active in:
Chick Lit
Paranormal Mystery
Paranormal Romance
Sookie Stackhouse Book/Show Group
Supernatural Fiction Readers
tbr-reading-challenge
TNBBC
Urban Fantasy
What's the Name of That Book
Young Adult Fiction for Adults

I just left:
Christian Readers - there wasn't much activity
Dance - it's mostly young-young people and I just didn't feel like I fit

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Iki: I know you bellydance but do you do anyother kinds of dance? I use to do Modern & ballet. I did take a belly dancing class & loved it!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I could see that happening. I always wondered why someone would join a book group and not post anything.

message 23: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments Emilee - I've taken many forms of dance, but bellydance is my current passion. I'm actually hoping to pick up a clogging class in the next couple of weeks...perhaps square dancing, too. I know, I'm such a dork! But I used to dance with Gpa and it brings back very fond memories. Clogging, well, I've never tried it and I'd like to.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Tnbbc because it seemed really active and interesting.

1001 books because the challenge intrigues me.

Books I loathed because one of my RL friends was on it and everyone needs a place to vent once in awhile.

Constant Reader because they have short story and Poetry monthly club read.

Stephen King Fans for obvious reasons.

Readers Reading in the rain Books I want to Talk about, You Imagine, and College Students: some of the topics were interesting.

What's the name of that book: to find some of my lost books.

Haiku Lounge: because I really adore haiku and I'm kind of sad that this group isn't very active which is why I joined a bunch of others.

^^ I actually do read these at least once a week, even if I don't post.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Iki: I did a bit of clogging. It is fun. It's just great to get out there & dance. Do you watch so you think you can dance? I so love that show!

message 26: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Yeah, ann... It will be tons of fun to see you over in Flight 815-ers!!! I cant wait till Feb!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I'm in:

College Students!--i'm the moderator..it's been great finding people around my age on here! pretty active group!

Chicks On Lit--great group of women!

The Rory Gilmore Book Club-- because I love Gilmore Girls and they read good books!

TV We Just Watched-- i love talking about all my fave shows!

Philadelphia Goodreaders--not a very active group.

message 28: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments Emilee - I love So You Think You Can Dance. It's my favorite show during it's season runs. I often find myself getting chills or crying at the beauty of some of the choreo, especially anything by Mia Michaels. Dang, that woman is talented!

message 29: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 481 comments i just found some new groups to check out, especially the LOST one! i wonder how many of us readers are huge LOST fans as well...

anyway, i'm in two others, in addition to TNBBC: 50 books 2008, and Pittsburgh GoodReads.

the PGH one isn't real active, and the 50 challegne is a good way to track what i've read to date this year (well, at least since august 1) but isn't overly active.

great topic!

message 30: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments First a got on this group and I found out about page turners. The only other one is What's the name of that book?. I gave up looking for other interesting once because I already practically forget about Page turners and are completely forgetting about the other bookwebsite 'shelfari', because in te end I get stucked like an addictive person on The next best book club....

message 31: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

awwww. i think that was supposed to be a compliment for this group, right Jeane? Or are you bashing us becuase we take all your time away from the other groups? Tee hee hee

message 32: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments it was a huge compliment which could have been given in a shorter version: oter groups are dissapearing from my mind and I am not even thinking about checking out other ones beacause since i got in this group my life is happily here.

But Lori it is all your fault (and the rest of you)

Petra bf in 2 days but I have lost my nerve (petra-x) Nadine - I was on Axis Mundi too but like you I found there were too many insider jokes. There is a new offshoot group from that one TerminalCoffee but that was like a private club with everyone calling each by their real names, so I gave that up too. I checked a few others out too.

Now I'm on TNBBC which is the best of the best from every other one I've seen. Also GR Feedback and Librarians. TNBBC is the only fun one though.

message 34: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments I have signed up for one other group and hardly participate.
I feel at home here at TNBBC. I enjoy it so much and I have met some great people.
I have no desire to search for others...