What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Keeper of the Kingdom (Keeper, #1)
This topic is about Keeper of the Kingdom
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Boy is sucked into computer game [s]

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (last edited Jun 14, 2011 07:20PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen | 88 comments I read a pretty terrible novel for a Battle of the Books competition. It was written in the 90s and is about a boy who is sucked into his favorite computer game. In the game, the world is controlled by robots and all humans are their slaves. They work all day making things under fluorescent lights, unless they are assigned to the kitchens or gardens.

I remember a silly scene in which two robots banter back and forth about how primitive compact discs were while inserting an itty-bitty compact disc into a computer.

The boy had to find the central computer and destroy or reprogram it. He managed, of course, but the end is a testament to good old crappy Windows: it's an error screen that says the computer has crashed and must restart, resulting in any unsaved data being lost. Since he played the game from inside the game, the boy naturally never managed to press ctrl+s, and therefore has to play the game again and again for the rest of time.

He's rather happy about this, though.

message 2: by Moosey (new)

Moosey (moosey7) Could it be 'Space Demons' by Gillian Rubinstein? It sounds very similar.

message 3: by Jen (last edited Jun 14, 2011 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen | 88 comments I'm afraid not; the boy in the novel I'm thinking of didn't seem to have any real-world friends.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen | 88 comments Maybe it will help to mention that I read this for Battle of the Books somewhere between 2005 and 2007.

message 5: by Trent (new)

Trent Cunningham | 24 comments the computer ate my brother?

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen | 88 comments Nope, that's not it, but thanks for the input. I had no idea this book was so obscure!

message 7: by Danielle (last edited Jul 29, 2011 10:14AM) (new)

Danielle | 151 comments Is it anything by Vivian Velde. Think I once saw one of her books in the library that sounds like the book you are looking for but I can't remember which one it was.

message 8: by Myles (new)

Myles | 34 comments Danielle wrote: "Is it anything by Vivian Velde. Think I once saw one of her books in the library that sounds like the book you are looking for but I can't remember which one it was."

The book you're thinking of Danielle is probably Heir Apparent, involving a girl trapped within a virtual reality game. She must solve the game to get out of it otherwise her brain gets fried.

Jen, I dpn't know what yours could be, especially if its that new.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle | 151 comments Ok, thanks. All I could remember was a kid got sucked into a video game.

Hope you find it Jen. :)

message 10: by Paste (new)

Paste (Sticky-Paste) | 3 comments Did he go in with a friend? I read something similar to what you are reading and in the book he went along with his friend ( I think she was a girl ) and they met a centaur.

message 11: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (weareattached) | 124 comments Keeper of the Kingdom (Keeper, Book 1) by H.J. Ralles??? Maybe

message 12: by Jen (last edited Aug 09, 2011 08:04PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen | 88 comments Oh wow, Keeper of the Kingdom is it! I honestly didn't think I'd ever find it. Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heir Apparent (other topics)
Keeper of the Kingdom (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Vivian Vande Velde (other topics)