The Book Challenge discussion

a-m > Danielle's Book Challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Danielle I'm aiming to read about 50 books within the next year (starting Oct. 3). I tend to average about one per week so hopefully I'll be able to reach my goal. I tend to read two books at a time (one at work and one at home) so I'm starting off with Ulysses by James Joyce and One Hundred Years of Solitude by Marquez.

message 2: by Ronnie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:56PM) (new)

Ronnie  M | 1 comments good luck with your goal that is great that you read two books at a time i cant seem to do that i have tried but it doesnt work for me i am sure you will be able to meet your goal of 50 books i bet you but good luck all the same

message 3: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Danielle Alright, one down, 49 to go! I just finished Making the List: A Cultural History of the American Bestseller, 1900-1999 which was really a rather disappointing start to my challenge.

message 4: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Robert | 3 comments I understand your multiple reading concept. I tend to read about 7 books at a time. But if you're starting off with Ulysses (great choice) you don't have much choice, since you really have to read it alongside "The Bloomsday Book" or one of the other guides. I'd like to hear your comments on the Marquez as I have tried to read it many times and simply can't get interested in it...

message 5: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:58PM) (new)

Danielle i'm actually reading Ulysses without a guide. I want the pure experience...just to be taken away by the words. I'll worry later what every little bit means but for now I just want to enjoy it. I'm sure at some later point I'll pick it up again along with the Bloomsday Book. Luckily I'm not entirely lost so far...I'm about a third of the way through it!

Marquez so far is quite slow going. However, the story makes it worth it. It can be a little tedious but I've gotten to the point where I care about the Buendia family and want to know their fates...at least he can get me hooked, it's just a long ride!

message 6: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:05PM) (new)

Danielle Ok I just finished my second book, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I absolutely loved the moments of absurdity and the cyclical nature of the family's lives. Any suggestions based on this book I would greatly appreciate!

Now I'm onto The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner.

message 7: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Danielle I just finished Elizabeth Costello by J.M. Coetzee. Wow, lots to think about! So I stand at 3 completed and will start a yet-undecided new book tomorrow. Still working on The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner and Ulysses by Joyce but I'm finding both to be slow going.

Current standing:
1. Making the List: A Cultural History of the American Bestseller, 1900-1999
2. One Hundred Years of Solitude
3. Elizabeth Costello

message 8: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Danielle Just finished number 4 Oracle Night by Paul Auster this morning and now I'm on to July July by Tim O'Brien. Oracle Night was a decent read, pretty quick to get through but I'm sorry to say, not all that inspiring.

message 10: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Sera The Sound and the Fury is excellent. Have you read Faulkner before?

message 11: by Danielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Danielle no I haven't! This is my first attempt...and I'm finding it easier and easier to get through as I go along. I'm nearly finished with The Sound and the Fury.

message 12: by Danielle (new)

Danielle 6. Perfume by Patrick Suskind
7. Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice
8. Amsterdam by Ian McEwan
9. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Right now I'm working on Land's End by Michael Cunningham

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle oh yeah, I forgot

10. The Principles of Uncertainty

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle 11. Land's End: A Walk in Provincetown by Michael Cunningham

message 15: by Danielle (new)