Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yasmeen (new)

Yasmeen (yassoma) | 123 comments Mod
Book reviews for week 18.

message 2: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (Teresa_bowen) RoomRoom by Emma Donoghue

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I downloaded this book a couple of months ago and have been hesitant about starting it. The reviews I've read seemed to be divided about it. Either loving it or hating it. I thought the idea of a story told in the voice of a five year old seemed very odd and wasn't sure if I could actually believe the story. By the end of the first page I was well and truly hooked. This is the first book this year that has kept me up past 2am simply because I needed to know what happened next. Ma's determination to provide Jack with the best possible upbringing in the dreadful circumstances she and he are in comes across even more poignantly because Jack does not realise the circumstances of his life are unusual.

I loved this book, I'm sure it will be high on my list of best reads at the end of the year and I will be recommending it to everybody I know.

View all my reviews

message 3: by Rebecca (last edited May 03, 2011 09:18AM) (new)

Rebecca Herman (beccadeesbookshelf) Bossypants by Tina Fey

Bossypants
By Tina Fey
5/5

Hilarious! I don't always agree with Tina Fey, but she is still contagiously funny. I listened to this book on audible, which I highly recommend. I just don't think her humor can come across in text only. This book discusses various events in Tina Fey's life and lessons on what she has learned about being an actress, producer, mother, wife, and of course a bossypants.

message 4: by Shayma (new)

Shayma (almightysush) | 45 comments The Death and Life of Charlie St. CloudThe Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It was truly touching and beautiful.

I loved it soooo much and I can't wait to see the movie :)

View all my reviews

message 5: by Lamia (new)

Lamia Al-Qahtani (Lamia-alqahtani) جدد حياتك
by محمد الغزالي

3/5

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

الظاهرة القرآنية
مالك بن نبي

3/5

الموقف من الحداثة ومواقف أخرى
by عبد الله الغذامي

4/5

في سبيل الحق أو قصة حياتي
by المهاتما غاندي

3/5

العرب وجهة نظر يابانية
by نوبوأكي نوتوهارا

4/5

الحمد لله الذي هدانا لهذا وما كنا لنهتدي لولا أن هدانا الله

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (Unheard) | 40 comments ماجستير إدارة الأعمال في يوم واحد ما كنت ستتعلمه في كليات الأعمال الراقية MBA by Steven Stralser
Rating 4/5

كتاب مليء بالمعلومات المفيدة عن إدارة الأعمال من شخص خبير فيها

my review

message 7: by Ghada (new)

Ghada (charm_quark) | 21 comments A Certain Ambiguity A Mathematical Novel by Gaurav Suri
Title: A Certain Ambiguity: A Mathematical Novel
Author: Gauray Suri & Hartosh Singh Bal
Rating: 4.80/5.00

This book was such a pleasure to read.

It is about an undergraduate student with a former interest in mathematics. He decides to take a mathematics course on infinity as an elective in hope of rekindling his passion for math. Through his professor, he discovers a paper that his mathematician grandfather wrote, and here the story begins...

The storyline will have to be discovered by the reader through another source. However, I will say that the form of this story is mostly narrated as a dialogue combining mathematics, religion and philosophy. There are easy-to-follow proofs and theories here and there, and a few diagrams, all of which explain the nature of the axiomatic theory to the reader. Most of the mathematical debates concern work done by Euclid in geometry and Cantor in set theory. I found it to be a very enjoyable introduction to the continuum hypothesis.

I was actually quite surprised at how much of a page turner this book turned out to be. It was inspiring, though provoking and good fun! I believe that the authors achieved what they set out to do as they described in the Authors’ Note:

"Our principal purpose in writing A Certain Ambiguity is to show that mathematics is beautiful. Furthermore, we seek to show that mathematics has profound things to say about what it means for humans to truly know something. We believe that both these objectives are best achieved in the medium of a novel. After all it is human beings who feel beauty and it is human beings who feel the immediacy of philosophical questions. And the only way to get human beings into the picture is to tell a story."
Mathematics is truly beautiful! Both numbers and words can attest to that.

And as a final philosophical note, I will directly quote this statement from the book:

“Some may argue that our individual choices are already made for us and the idea of “free will” is an illusion. To them I merely reply that even if choice is an illusion, our perception of being able to choose is not. So our freedom is real- at least as real as anything else we live by.”

My Review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 8: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (KristinaLawhead) This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
by Sarah Dessen
2/5 Stars

Was really not impressed by this book. It was well written but I couldn't stand the main character, Remy, she was so obnoxious. I liked the guy, Dexter, but that was the only saving grace in the book. His interactions with Remy were fun and smart but overall the book was just blah.

message 9: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (WatchOUTforLucy) Freedom
By Jonathan Franzen
1/5 stars

Three generations of dysfunction and a couple dysfunctional peripheral characters set in dysfunctional times.

message 10: by Yasmeen (new)

Yasmeen (yassoma) | 123 comments Mod
The Pig That Wants to be Eaten: And Ninety-Nine Other Thought ExperimentsThe Pig That Wants to be Eaten: And Ninety-Nine Other Thought Experiments by Julian Baggini

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book delivers what it promises: engaging 100 thought experiments that are a wonderful introduction to the most basic philosophical puzzles. It is a great read for anyone new to philosophy and those who feel overwhelmed by the history of philosophy and keep asking themselves, "Well, where do I start?"
I, being someone who knew about half of the things discussed in this book, did not feel that it's boring or stale since the author cleverly wrote out different hypothetical scenarios as an introduction to each concept, and they were almost always humorous and witty (I mean, come on, the title IS a reference from a Hitchhiker's Guide book). Easily one of the best "popular philosophy" books.

It should be pointed out, however, that this is not a reference book; and that is why it doesn't leave you satisfied since it covers ideas VERY briefly and not in depth at all. Nevertheless, the author mentions the source of most experiments so you may easily expand on a particular subject (which is why I am at the moment waiting to get my copy of Thus Spoke Zarathustra!) Also, it cannot be read in one sitting: you read so little, and you think so much. Which makes this book a great one for those who are easily bored by reading walls of text, but don't mind spending too much time with it.

Overall, I recommend it. It's a nice addition to any library.

View all my reviews

message 11: by Rakan (new)

Rakan (recosan) | 50 comments .
النظام والكلام by أدونيس
النظام والكلام
by أدونيس
Rating: 4/5

أول كتاب أقرأه لأدونيس. كانت تجربة جيدة

message 12: by Jihad (new)

Jihad | 46 comments What I Believe by Tariq Ramadan
What I Believe
Tariq Ramadan

4/5

يلخص طارق رمضان هنا خلاصة أفكاره، والتي اثار بعضها نقاشاً طويلاً في دوائر مختلفة.

طارق هو مفكر اسلامي اوروبي، وشخصية مثيرة جداً للاهتمام. هو حفيد الإمام حسن البنا.

القضية الرئيسية لطارق، والتي شغلت معضم الكتاب، هي عن امكانية - بل ضرورة تناغم المواطنين المسلمين في الدول الغربية مع مجتمعاتهم، وضرورة ان تعاملهم مجتمعاتهم كمواطنين، وليس كأجانب مخيفين أو لا ينتمون إلى هذه المجتمعات.

هذه هي الفكرة الأساسية للكتاب، وذكر فيها العديد من النقاط القيمة التي من الصعب تلخيصها، والأفضل الرجوع لها في الكتاب.

---

تعريف كلمة "مسلمين" مهم أيضاً في هذا السياق. يذكر المؤلف أن أغلب المسلمين الغربيين لا يطبقون تعاليم دينهم بانتظام يومي. الكثير يقولون بأنهم مؤمنين، يمتنعون عن الكحول والخنزير، يصومون رمضان إما امتثالاً شرعياً أو امتثالاً عائلياً او اجتماعياً، لكن ليس لهم عبادة منتظمية ونادراً ما يزورون المساجد.

اخرين يشيرون إلى أنفسهم بأنهم مؤمنين، لكنهم لا يمتثلون لأوامر ومحرمات الدين، يشربون الكحول ولا يراعون حساسيات الدين المختلفة، فيما عدا رمضان، أو اذا شن الإعلام او بعض السياسيين حملة ضد المسلمين.

مجموعة أخرى، وهي أقلية، يقولون أنهم ملحدين، لاأدريين، أو مجرد منتمين لمجتمعات إسلامية.

هذه المجموعات الثلاث تمثل أغلبية من تدعيهم المجتمعات الغربية بالمسلمين (يشكلون تقريباً 75%).

هذه المجموعة ليست لديها أي مشاكل دينية مع الغرب، فيما عدا ألوان جلودهم، أصولهم، وأسمائهم. عندما يندمجون في المجتمع، يشار إليهم بأنهم "مسلمين"، بغض النظر هل ذكروا ذلك عن أنفسهم أم لا. حتى لو لم يتصرفوا كمسلمين.

أما الـ 25% المتبقية والتي تنتظم على تعاليم الدين، التجديديين يزدادون بشكل كبير، خصوصاً في الجيل الثاني وما يليه (الجيل الأول هو المهاجرين أنفسهم الذين يحتفظون عادة بأفكار مجتمعاتهم الأصلية، لكن يبدأ الفكر التجديدي في أبنائهم والأجيال التي تليهم).
---

الكتاب صغير ومقسم إلى فصول، يناقش كل منها فكرة فرعية في هذا المجال.

أحد الأفكار التي برزت لي هي دعوته إلى الانتقال إلى المرحلة التالية من تجديد الفكر الديني الإسلامي، وذلك بإعادة دراسة وتمحيص أصول الفقه، بدلاً من الفقه نفسه. الإختلاف الزمني والاجتماعي الهائل بين الوقت الذي سنت فيه أصول الفقه وبين ما يعيشه الكثير من المسلمين الان يشير بوضوح إلى هذه الضرورة. يؤكد طارق أن هذه الفكرة ستواجه الكثير من النقد وأيضاً الرفض من البعض، لكنها يرى أنها مهمة في الانتقال من التجديد

الكتاب مفيد للمهتمين بالهوية الإسلامية والمجتمعات الغربية، وأيضاً أراه مفيد للمسلمين في الغرب. حاز على اعجابي، ولن يكون اخر ما أقراه للمؤلف.

message 13: by Alhanouf (new)

Alhanouf (ItsHNF) | 54 comments Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter
Alexandra Potter

3.5 / 5

Since I'm a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice I thought I might relate to this book. I enjoyed reading it however it was very predictable. Fun read.

message 14: by Raya (new)

Raya Al-Raddadi الحقوق السياسية للمرأة في الشريعة الاسلامية والقانون الدولي
3/5
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...
كتآب جميل جدآ يلخص بشكل مبسط حقوق المرأة في ظل الشريعة الاسلامية ومدى تشابه تلك الحقوق بشكل كبير بحقوقها الانسانية على المستوى الدولي..
تحدث عن حقوقها في الحرية والمساواة والحقوق الزوجية والاقتصادية والسياسية من خلافة ورئاسة وقضاء وغيرهآ..

message 15: by Linah (new)

Linah (liiiinahhh) Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare

I wasn't sure what I was expecting when I started reading this book but I guess I wasn't expecting the language to be so difficult to comprehend. Although Shakespeare's language is phenomenal, I wouldn't recommend this for everyone. Overall, it's a short comedy play with a couple of twists and lots of sarcasm.

Two stars.

message 16: by Sarah H. (new)

Sarah H. Alshareef | 25 comments How Starbucks Saved My Life
5/5
Michael Gates Gill

i admit that i have decided to read this book because of my desperate need for a job that adds a value to my life, So i read it to get some inspirations and motivations. Frankly, I hate Starbucks, i rarely go there and if i did i only order a frappuccino with extra caramel, plus, i don't drink coffee. As i go through Michael or Mike "as his partners at Starbucks call him" life, i can feel his desperate need for a job after he had been fired. He is so optimistic, determined, tolerant, and kind person. all of that lead him to the person he is today. i've learned a lot about coffee history, different kinds of coffee beans and which treats go well with each coffee Starbucks serves. and the names of the different sizes of the cups at Starbucks. I might give the store a visit soon to visualize if Mike was there serving me with his smile and kind conversation!

This book is so inspirational. i strongly recommend it to all Starbucks fans, coffee fans and people like me who is still searching for a job that truly makes them happy about themselves.

message 17: by Alanoud (new)

Alanoud (Flighto) | 22 comments .

description

Sophie's World
by Jostein Gaarder
5/5

I really enjoyed this book. Loved the approach it took on philosophy and how the author journeyed us through the history of philosophy and philosophers.
The author had a unique way to introduce the basics of philosophy through the story of a 14 years old girl.
I never expected the characters to pop out of the book , and for the story itself to be a story within a story.
Brilliant ! and brilliant creativity

I would definitely recommend it"

message 18: by Johara (new)

Johara Almogbel | 71 comments The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I liked it a lot. It's fast-paced, utterly enjoyable, and ions better than the movie. I'm planning on reading the rest of the series, inshAllah.

View all my reviews

message 19: by Manal (new)

Manal (manl) | 23 comments رسائل غسان كنفاني لغادة السمان

٥\٥

رسائل غسان كنفاني لغادة السمان من الكتب التي يمكنك قرائتها أكثر من مرة وفي كل مرة تفعل ذلك ستتألم كأنك لأول مرة تقرأه...
مع أني أحب كتابات غادةإلا أني كرهتها بعد قرائتي للرسائل ويزداد الحنق عندما تعلم أن المفترض بها نشر رسائلها كما اتفقت مع غسان بعد موت أحدهما
حاولت أن أجد لها أعذاراً لم أجد سوى النرجسية وغرور أنثوي،الكثير أيضاً رأو أنها شوهت صورته كأديب محب لوطنه ومدافع عنه..
عموماً تقييمي هنا على أسلوب غسان وعذوبة كلماته فقط.