Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Hi, My Name is ... *Introductions*

Comments (showing 101-150 of 292) (292 new)    post a comment »

message 101: by Tavia (new)

Tavia Gilbert (TaviaGilbert) | 53 comments Maybe directly though Harper?

message 102: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments This is certainly a mystery. I can't find them at Harper Audio either. How long ago did you record these books Tavia? And Angie, where did you obtain your copies?

message 103: by Tavia (new)

Tavia Gilbert (TaviaGilbert) | 53 comments I did them just last winter. It's a shame they're not out in the world! I had a great time, and I do think they're so fun to hear!

message 104: by Angie (new)

Angie (AngieMB) | 409 comments Wow, they are all gone. I managed to get The Rake, The Care and Taming of a Rogue and Always a Scoundrel last year. They had London's Perfect Scoundrel up, too, but I had just recently read it so decided to get it a little later, but by then it was gone, along with The Rake. The other 2 were still there just a couple of months ago. I wrote Harper Audio last year to see what was going on but never got a response.

message 105: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Angie - did you buy through Audible or did you buy hard copies?

message 106: by Tavia (new)

Tavia Gilbert (TaviaGilbert) | 53 comments Did you try contacting Audible directly? Their customer service might be able to investigate. Hmmm...

message 107: by Angie (new)

Angie (AngieMB) | 409 comments I bought through Audible. That was the only place that I could find them for sale. I contacted Audible once about a book disappearing and they didn't have any info about it. It was probably one of those, but I don't remember.

message 108: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments I'm taking this part of the thread over to its own thread on our Goodreads group to see if we can get some help there.

message 109: by Tavia (new)

Tavia Gilbert (TaviaGilbert) | 53 comments The Goodreads Disappearing Audiobooks Smackdown Posse?

message 110: by Brittany B. (last edited Feb 23, 2012 09:48AM) (new)

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Tavia wrote: "I've done The Rake, London's Perfect Scoundrel, England's Perfect Hero, Always a Scoundrel, and The Care and Taming of a Rogue. I'm not sure why they're not on Audible. I don't see them either. I d..."

Tavia you are so amazing. I appreciate all your work, but I must tell you the truth... I'm IN LOVE with Cat and Bones. You nailed it. I know each of your voices for each character.. I'm never confused. It's pretty remarkable. But your performance of Bones is out of this world. I love him. And you have brought him to life (all the characters actually) better than any movie ever could.

Ok, I'm going to a dictionary and thesaurus to look up more superlatives and synonyms of amazing, outstanding, kick-ass etc... So I can tell you how great you are, just with more finesse and variety next time. :) (and I'm sorry for topic jumping, Lea and Tavia. I'm too excited to be mature)

message 111: by Tavia (new)

Tavia Gilbert (TaviaGilbert) | 53 comments How kind, Brittany! I'm glad you enjoy the books. That makes me so happy. I really want the listeners to have a great time with the stories! You've made my day!

message 112: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (NancyC) Hi, My name in Nancy I live in Northern Calfornia.
I started listening to audio books 4 or 5 years ago.
I was at my local library and picked up a JD Robb.
I was hooked from there. Used to listen in the car driving back and forth from work. It really cut down on the road rage and relaxed me. Now unemployed the last six monthes I listen working in yard and around the house. My favorites are still JD Robb. I love Charlaine Harris, Janet Evonovich, I am currently on book 7 of Tess Gerritsen. I enjoy listening to continued series books. I only read female narrators. I have tried to listen to men but i don't like they way they read the female voice.

Anyway, looking for a group with simular interests.
Nancy

message 113: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Welcome Nancy! I think we are what you are looking for!

message 114: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (TariaR) | 137 comments Hello everyone!!

My name is Taria (sounds like Maria but with a T). And I'm a total audiobook junkie. I can't remember the last time I picked up a book and actually read it...lol. I live in NJ with my husband and two boys (9yrs & 2yrs). I am a full time photographer and a book cover designer. I've been listening to audiobooks since about 2006. I got my first ipod that summer and it was ALL OVER...lol.

I've listened to some AMAZING stories so I can't say which one is my favorite, but I will listen to Phil Gigante and Tavia Gilbert read the phone book if they added a few sex scenes to it...lol. However my list of favorite narrators is getting longer, Xe Sands, Amanda Ronconi, and Max Bellemore were just added.

I look forward to finding more audiobooks to get into.

message 115: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (XeSands) | 368 comments Taria wrote: "Hello everyone!!

My name is Taria (sounds like Maria but with a T). And I'm a total audiobook junkie. I can't remember the last time I picked up a book and actually read it...lol. I live in NJ ..."

Welcome, Taria - and thanks so much for that! Feel honored to be included in that group.

message 116: by Bobbie (new)

Bobbie (bc2mc3) | 19 comments Hi Taria, I also would listen to almost anything Phol Gigante and Tavia Gilbert would read. Do you listen to Dick Hill too. I find him very easy to listen to. Glad to have you in our group. What genre do you listen to the most?

message 117: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Welcome Taria!

message 118: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Abby wrote: "My name is Abby. I live in Carthage, Mississippi (60 degrees in the middle of December today!). Home sick today with a cold. I started listening to audiobooks when I was a teen and started liste..."

Hi Abby I went to college at Millsaps in Jackson, not far from you. I saw your favorites and must agree with your favorites! I love the same authors. Glad to see new faces at the site.

message 119: by Tavia (new)

Tavia Gilbert (TaviaGilbert) | 53 comments Bobbie and Taria, thank you so much for your interest in my work. Happy listening to you both!

message 120: by Taria (new)

Taria Reed (TariaR) | 137 comments Bobbie wrote: "Hi Taria, I also would listen to almost anything Phol Gigante and Tavia Gilbert would read. Do you listen to Dick Hill too. I find him very easy to listen to. Glad to have you in our group. Wha..."

I listen to paranormal romances and Urban Fantasy. I also have a secret love affair for highlander books, but I prefer them to be narrated by men. Phil Gigante, Robert Ian MacKenzie, and Anthony Ferguson have spoiled me with their sexy narrations.

message 121: by Mia (last edited Mar 05, 2012 06:24PM) (new)

Mia | 2 comments (Taking a deep breath...) I finally have a courage to introduce myself.
Hello, I'm Mia and I'm Japanese living in Japan. ( So please excuse my not-perfect English.)
I started listening to audio books about 4-5 years ago as one of the ways to improve my English.
I love reading romance novels in English as well as listening to them on audio.

My favorite narrators are Kirsten Potter, Clair Wille and Richard Armitage. I expect to find more in the future:)

Happy listening to you all!

message 122: by Brenda (last edited Mar 06, 2012 03:49AM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thanks for joining us Mia, I love the diversity that Goodreads brings us with members from around the world. And I can't think of a better way to enjoy improving your English than through romance! :)

Looking at your favorite narrators list I'm guessing your a Historical romance fan, I hope you find many more to enjoy through this great group.

message 123: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 296 comments So glad you could join us, Mia! Your English looks wonderful! Romance novels have such world-wide appeal. Who doesn't love a happy ending?

message 124: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Hello everybody, I'm not new, but I I needed to change my name because of I've come across another Brittany. So from now on when you see "Brittany B.", it's only me...
And welcome to to all the new additions to the group: Taria, Mia, and anyone I've missed. You've joined the best group for audiobooks and romance! :)

message 125: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 23 comments Hi, my name is Gavin.
I live in a small town in central Scotland.
I've been listening to audiobooks for about four or five years. I had to make the switch to audiobooks because my eyes are no longer up to the task of reading an actual book, well a least not with the consistency that I would demand of them!.
I listen to audiobooks anywhere, at home, at work, and in the car.

Some of my favorite genres are, fantasy, sci-fi, thrillers and historical romance.
More recently I have found I enjoy paranormal romance and YA books, which is strange as I doubt I would ever have actually read these sorts of books.

I prefer female narrators, and also prefer American's.
I can't tolerate a narrator with my native Scottish accent for some reason.
Some of my favorite romance authors are Judith McNaught, Julie Garwood, Julia Quinn, and J.R.Ward.

I'm always interested in finding new audiobooks, I have not read a ton of romances so I'm open to finding new authors.

message 126: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Welcome Gavin! If only we could listen to Judith McNaught's books! Her only audio books are sadly very, very abridged.

If you haven't done so yet, I hope you'll check out our Speaking of Audiobooks column over at AAR. It is published 2-3 times a month. Here's a link to the archives:
http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?cat=174

I started listening more to audiobooks due to a similar problems - a sensitivity to light. I still read but now that I have discovered the vast selection of great audiobooks out there, I listen more these days. It's my preferred method of reading now. :)

message 127: by BiblioJen (new)

BiblioJen | 22 comments Hello, fellow audiophiles! My name is Jen, and I live in Virginia (in the US.) I have almost an hour to commute each way to work, so I listen to a LOT of audiobooks in the car. I also listen at home and at work, when I can multitask. I prefer paranormal romances and YAs, and also listen to fantasy, sci-fi and some historicals. A sampling of my favorite authors includes Cassandra Clare, Richelle Mead, Cynthia Hand, J. R. Ward, Christine Feehan and Amanda Quick. I've always got at least one audiobook and one ebook going at the same time. My mom says that I used to read cereal boxes when nothing else was readily available. :-) Glad to find this group, and I'm looking forward to the discussions!

message 128: by Gavin (new)

Gavin | 23 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Welcome Gavin! If only we could listen to Judith McNaught's books! Her only audio books are sadly very, very abridged.

If you haven't done so yet, I hope you'll check out our Speaking of Audiob..."

Yes, it does seem as if historical romances are very difficult to find in unabridged audio. I did see recently that some of Gaelen Foley's books have made their way to Audible so here is hoping that things are about to change for the better.
Luckily I've recently jumped on the paranormal romance bandwagon and there seems to be no shortage of this genre in audio, I suppose we have Twilight to thank for this.

I'll check out the Speaking of Audiobooks column. I've only recently discovered Goodreads so it is never a bad thing to find new places that review audio books.

message 129: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments BiblioJen wrote: "Hello, fellow audiophiles! My name is Jen, and I live in Virginia (in the US.) I have almost an hour to commute each way to work, so I listen to a LOT of audiobooks in the car. I also listen at ..."

Welcome BiblioJen! I see that you are a J. R. Ward fan. Have you tackled her latest, Lover Reborn, yet? It's in my audio library but I doubt I'll be able to listen to it anytime soon.

message 130: by BiblioJen (new)

BiblioJen | 22 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Welcome BiblioJen! I see that you are a J. R. Ward fan. Have you tackled her latest, Lover Reborn, yet? It's in my audio library but I doubt I'll be able to listen to it anytime soon."

Hi Lea, and thanks for the warm welcome! I am listening to Lover Reborn as I type this. I am just finishing Part 1 of 3 (as broken down by Audible.com) I can't NOT listen to it ... but (if you've read the rest of her books, you know) it has 47 subplots, and some are better than others. The books goes up and down in interest levels for me, depending on who/what we are talking about. I'll be back with a proper review when it is done.

message 131: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Hi BiblioJen and Gavin! I love this group. The moderators kick butt and it's a really active group. I am a resident GR junkie. I'm a non-participating member of other groups, but I participate almost daily in this one. I hope you join in our discussions. We're all interested in learning about good audiobooks you my be listening to and new authors. I hope to chat with both of you soon!

Enjoy :)

message 132: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla | 1 comments Hi. My name is Priscilla and I have been following the audio reviews and discussions for some time. I always have a book going while I am in the car and often here at home while I knit. I am a fan of many historical romance authors. I have followed Stephanie Laurens and have all of her books on audio. The last releases from Blackstone Audio are the last two books in the Bastion Club series. I am so disappointed in Steven Crossley as the narrator. He does a terrible job with women's and children's voices. I should have known better than to buy it with his narration as I have LaVryle Spencer's That Camden Summer narrated by him and hate what he does to that story. Anyway my review of the audio is at http://www.gigisromancereviews.blogsp...
I am looking forward to reading other comment on this site.

message 133: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Welcome Priscilla! Look forward to your contributions. Understand what you mean about Crossley's women's and children's voices. I had a few problems with his narration of Judith Ivory's The Proposition.

message 134: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Coleman (Jacqden04) | 1 comments Hello,
My name is Jacqueline and I live in Ohio, USA. I started listening to book about 2yrs ago. I love it. It does keep me up at night if I am listening to a great story. My favorites right now are BDB series, Dark Hunter series, Sookie series and Stephanie Plum series.

message 135: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Hi Jacqueline, welcome to the group. I've been craving a Sookie re-listen, Johanna Parker is amazing with those books.

As is Lorelie King with Stephanie, have you heard her with Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series? It's UF with a thread of romance.

message 136: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Welcome Jacqueline! I'm with Brenda on craving that Sookie relisten! Have you listened to the entire series?

message 137: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Welcome lostime4me! So glad you have joined us. I have family living in Hixson and I agree that you are in beautiful country. I'm planning a column on library borrowing and it looks like you have just introduced a new facet for me to explore when writing it.

We look forward to your comments!

message 138: by Liz (Bugetta) (last edited Jun 14, 2012 02:31AM) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (Bugetta) | 12 comments Hi! I'm Liz from Northern California.

I just recently started listening to audiobooks on a regular basis. I'd listened to a few of the Harry Potter books, but had never listened to a book I hadn't read first, until I discovered my library's digital library and downloaded Moon Called by Patricia Briggs. After that, I was hooked!

I'm currently making my way through the Sookie Stackhouse books and I absolutely love Joanna Parker's narration. I also listened to The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne earlier this year, and I thought Kristin Potter did an excellent job.

I'm excited to be part of this group and I'm looking forward to getting recommendations on what audiobook to read next!

message 139: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Jun 14, 2012 05:21AM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Welcome Liz! Listening to the Sookie Stackhouse books just makes me feel good - even if there is some chopping off of heads. At least it's not too graphic. Mostly I just love how the combo of writing and the Parker's narration are lively and never boring.

message 140: by Liz (Bugetta) (last edited Jun 14, 2012 05:20PM) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (Bugetta) | 12 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Welcome Liz! Listening to the Sookie Stackhouse books just makes me feel good - even if there is some chopping off of heads. At least it's not too graphic. Mostly I just love how the combo of wr..."

Thanks for the welcome, Lea! I totally agree, the Sookie Stackhouse books are so much fun! I have to pace myself and not gobble them all up at once. :) I tried reading one of the books and it just wasn't the same, so back to the audiobook I went. :)

I just realized that I made a mistake on the name of the narrator of The Spymaster's Lady -- it should be Kirsten Potter, not Kristin.

message 141: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Liz wrote: " I tried reading one of the books and it just wasn't the same, so back to the audiobook I went. :)."

Hi Liz,
I had to smile at this comment. It's so true! I have trouble explaining my audio addiction to my friends who read Ebooks. You've found the right group! :)

message 142: by Liz (Bugetta) (new)

Liz (Bugetta) (Bugetta) | 12 comments Brittany B. wrote: ...I had to smile at this comment. It's so true! I have trouble explaining my..."

I still read ebooks too, but there are certain series, like the Sookie Stackhouse series, that I just have to listen to, because the narrator is so good she takes the author's story to the next level. The voice in my head just isn't that good. :-D

message 143: by Brenda (last edited Jun 18, 2012 05:10PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Liz I know exactly what you mean by this - because the narrator is so good she takes the author's story to the next level.

I have to agree that with the continuing series like Mercy Thompson (that I love!) and several others like Sookie Stackhouse and MaryJanice Davidsons Queen Betsy that if I read them or parts of them (in desperation to know whats going to happen)the voices are so ingrained in my head that the narrator still adds to my reading pleasure in a way. Can't beat that benefit with series that stick with the same narrators. :)

message 144: by Mayi (new)

Mayi Taylor | 1 comments Hi, my name is Maria and I live in London.
My favorite audiobook at the moment is Acheron by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
In terms of authors, I like Charlaine Harris (Sookie Stackhouse) and Kelley Armstrong (Women of the Otherworld). And generally I like anything Romance and YA.
I listen to audiobooks that I can download with itunes or audible, and also I've noticed not all the audiobooks in audible page in the US are available in the UK website :( but anyway, I got good recommendations from this group, I will start with outlander this week, so many thanks :)

message 145: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments Hi Mayi - welcome to the group! You'll find friendly and helpful folks here. I'm not big with YA books but love Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series (big werewolf fan!). In fact, I just did a re-listen of all the Clay/Elena stories. I enjoyed Acheron once we got to present day and usually start mid-way through if I re-listen to that one.

message 146: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Welcome Maria! We hope to hear about your audio discoveries and let us know if you are looking for a particular type of book. We'll put together some recommendations for you.

message 147: by Lori (new)

Lori | 11 comments Hi everyone! My name is Lori, I have 2 great kids, work part-time and in pharm school full-time. I love audiobooks and listen to them while commuting, doing housework, waiting for my next class, etc. In the beginning of this year Audible had a $7.95 sale on audiobooks and I stumbled upon Nalini Singh's psy-changeling series. I was hooked and from that moment I've been a glutton for PNR!

It's so great to be a part of an audiobook group. Most people I speak to don't understand how I can listen to someone "read" to me. I tell them to give it a try and that if they are naturally fast readers, they may want to speed the speaker up 1.5X which is what I usually have my speed at normally.

message 148: by Beeg (new)

Beeg Panda (BeegPanda) | 4 comments Heya
Im Beeg from Cape Town, South Africa.
Ony listened to 2 audiobooks so far, Im ready to learn more so Im here to check out the world of audiobooks.
Ive listened to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and a book by Suzanne Brockmann, I forget the title now.
I love romance, romantic suspence, some thrillers and contemp romance.
cant wait to discover who the best narrators are!

message 149: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Lori wrote: "Hi everyone! My name is Lori, I have 2 great kids, work part-time and in pharm school full-time. I love audiobooks and listen to them while commuting, doing housework, waiting for my next class, et..."

Welcome Lori! Those who just read don't know what they are missing!

Did you see that Audible currently is running a sale with a good number of romances for $5.95 or $8.95? I have a good size audio library and I still found a number of titles to tempt me.

Look forward to seeing you around.

message 150: by Lea's Audiobooks (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (LeaHensleysAudiobooks) | 1779 comments Beeg wrote: "Heya
Im Beeg from Cape Town, South Africa.
Ony listened to 2 audiobooks so far, Im ready to learn more so Im here to check out the world of audiobooks.
Ive listened to The Girl With the Dragon Tatt..."

Hey Beeg! Glad to see you have joined us. Two places you might want to check - first Speaking of Audiobooks 2011 Favorite Audiobooks Poll Results http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=6718 and the 2012 Poll Results which will be announced next week over at Speaking of Audiobooks. I'll be back with a link.

Hope you enjoy our group. Please let us know of specific authors you enjoy and we'll try to provide you with some recommendations.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Lover Reborn (other topics)
Daughter of Smoke & Bone (other topics)
Guilty Pleasures (other topics)
The Host (other topics)
Moon Called (other topics)
More...