Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > the Davinci Code

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Red (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Red Evans | 11 comments I've hated a lot of books in my time, some more so than others. However, the all time leader is The Davinci Code. It may be because it is so contrived. It may be because it's a 300 page story told in 500+ pages. It may be because it is the most boring novel ever written. To add to my hatred of it, they cast Tom Hanks in the lead role making him more wooden than Robert Mitchum.
Even Stephen King couldn't do anything with it.

Red Evans author On Ice

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 3 comments The more average something is the more people will like it. People who don't fall into the average range at some point don't get "average." You both must be "Above Average." The DaVinci Code was certainly average.

message 3: by k (new)

k | 9 comments I vote below average. Ignoring the gross historical inaccuracies and the wild, lurid plot twists, I couldn't stomach the narrative voice. Whatshisname sounded like the voice over from a bad 1970's Detective Drama. My life is better because I didn't watch the movie.

Disclaimer: I bought the book because it was on sale for $4. I knew it was going to be bad. I read it so I could intelligently shout down all the people who claimed it was "historical fiction."

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne Ok, so the plot twists were out of control and not at all likely, but I guess I'm unintelligent because I didn't see too much historical stuff that was inaccurate except for perhaps the opinions: things like Christ could have been married and have had a child. That's not that unrealistic to me. Was it the stuff with Opus Dei? I've been wanting to read up on it, but since The DaVinci Code, I've had a tough time finding anything that's unbiased. Everything I've seen is trying to make it out to be this crazy cult. I'd love to talk to a member of Opus Dei.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 12 comments i have to admit, i rather enjoyed this book when i was reading it, but it did leave me feeling rather... well, i don't know how to describe the feeling exactly, but it's sort of like when you fill up on candy. good while you're doing it, but leaves you feeling kind of empty and just a little ashamed of what you've done, not to mention just a little icky. i really like the premise though (that the holy grail is actually mary magdalene), which makes me think i should read that book dan brown stole all his ideas from instead.

message 6: by k (new)

k | 9 comments Anne, the bits about Christ's marriage, though dubious, weren't what made me cringe. Mostly it was the idea that the Templars were these high minded protectors of a cult of womanhood. They weren't. I don't really remember the specific details from //The DaVinci Code// (it was an easily forgettable book.) but a few examples are the way they behaved while in Jerusalem and the reasons why they were accused of heresy. There might have been a few questionable years mentioned in there as well.

In a great big geek confession, I love Medieval history and have read a lot about the crusades and the different monastic orders. It's all pretty dramatic on it's own. Dan Brown has probably read a lot about it too, he just wanted to make it that much more dramatic.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne Thanks, K, I'll have to do a bit of research on Templars. Amen about Dan Brown...he needs to tone it down about 20 notches.

message 8: by Dianna (new)

Dianna | 55 comments Tracy,
That is what I did. I read both "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" and another book, which I cannot remember the name, and which supported the opposite premise.

I, personally, don't care if Jesus Christ was married or had children, though I believe that the "Church" did what it needed to do to gain the power it needed to unite the Roman Empire. They needed to make Christ into an icon in order to relate to the beliefs of the period...Hellenistic and Roman mythology.

I read somewhere that it would be highly unlikely for Jesus Christ to have not been married, as he was a specific kind of Jew, the sect of which highly regarded family life.

message 9: by Sarahmarie (new)

Sarahmarie | 2 comments Ahh, too true. It was half enjoyable but the after taste...I also would like to find the book/s that he stole from. It's like Elvis doing blues, give me the original.

message 10: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean I love the book and Dan Brown

message 11: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 40 comments Thin plot, cardboard characters, a story stolen from the much better written Holy Blood, Holy Grail - what's not to love?