Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

What do you think of ebooks?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judub (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Judub | 11 comments I would buy ebooks if:

a) all new books published come with an ebook version

b) ebooks prices are the equivalent of softcopy/paperback or cheaper. It is wrong to charge ebook at hardcover price since the ebooks don't have the glossy dustcover, paper and print; and they don't need to be transported to all bookstores.

I love the feeling of flipping pages of the books; at the same time I would also love the portability of having a lot of books with me at all time on the a reader. My dream reader is Sony book reader.

The reason I haven't got the reader is that not all new books comes out with ebook version; and price of the ebook is the same as hardcopy which I think is unreasonable considering that the ebook doesn't come with the glossy print of the dust j acket, paper and print. What do you guys think of ebook? Maybe I should start a new thread about this.

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Rachel i could never read a book on a computer. not only would it kill my eyes, but i just don't think it has that "escape" feeling about it. i would also seriously miss owning actual books.

message 3: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

John I doubt I could ever read e-books either. However, my public library offers them as free downloads, along with mp3 audiobooks.

message 4: by Sonya (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:51PM) (new)

Sonya | 1 comments I wouldn't buy a dedicated ebook reader, but if I had an iPhone, or an iPod Touch, I'd likely want something to read on it (especially, with the Touch, if there were no WiFi available). In that situation, I'd probably appreciate an ebook. My first choice would probably be paper, but I can definitely appreciate the portability that an all-in-one device might offer.

message 5: by Llama (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:52PM) (new)

Llama Castillo | 34 comments I have a couple of ebooks that I got off Arcamax.com but no I prefer flipping pages to scrolling down screens.

message 6: by Shawn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Shawn Nope, no e-books for me. While I could see myself reading a newspaper or periodical in this format, It's the wrong medium for books.

Books aren't simply flowing electrons and bits of information and words which disappear at the flick of a switch. They are tangible, manipulable objects. They have weight, they are meant to be bookmarked, underlined, and put on the shelf to be perused by the hundreds. They are works of art, not only with the words on the page, but with the binding, the dust jacket cover art, the font, the margins.

Or perhaps -- the story is the work of art, and the book is the frame for this work of art. Without the frame, the naked story is not presented well, and is certainly not accessible to myself or another wanderer in my house.

Would you buy a great painting, then, roll it up and put it in a tube, and store it in the closet? Or would you put it in the living room to be discovered by whoever walks through?

-Shawn

message 7: by Kira (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Kira | 1 comments I don't really think there is anyone out there who would say "Hmm, I only like reading books on the computer." Really, we all love holding the book and lounging while we get lost in another world.

But here is why the concept of ebooks is fantastic--I could read while at work! If I had a book in front of me while at my desk, my boss would call me on that immediately. However, if I'm reading a book on the computer they have no idea that I am sitting there and happily reading a book. I work much too fast for the amount of work given to me, and so I sit around doing nothing unless I find something enjoyable to do that makes me look busy. Why not read AND get my work done fast? I love this world.

As far as finishing a book on computer, I would have to then go buy the book and keep it. I love looking at my books as a reminder of what I've read. It's like a little trophy that let's other people know what I'm about.

message 8: by Renee (new)

Renee | 3 comments Well here we go! I have always beeen dead set against an ebook. I'm on a computer all day at work, so why would I want to read a book on one. I commute by train every day, so I'm always caring at least 2 books, just in case I finish one on the train, I have another ready go.

My friend, who complains that my tote bags are to heavy between the books and the laptop, bought me a Kindle ebook from Amazon. I didn't even know what is was, I had never heard of it. I can't say I am a convert, but I commute with it. It's light weight and it's wireless, and just like a cell phone, any where I have 'bars' I can down load a book.

I don't use it at home, and I love the feel, the smell of a book. But for commuting and traveling...I use my Kindle

message 9: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) | 17 comments As a reader and an author, I hate eBooks. If you want to buy a copy of my book to read on your computer, more power to you, but there's something so sterile, so cold about reading a book via computer.

To me, a book is a relationship. An author writes it on paper, prints it on paper, and you as a reader connect with paper to read. There's something more appealing about a book...and a book's batteries never die on a New York to L.A. flight...

message 10: by Poon (new)

Poon | 1 comments I think a book is a book. If it's loaded on a computer or an ebook device, it's just a file...and soon will be fogotten like those digital pictures.

I love to feel and smell the papers while diving deep into the story the book is telling me ^_^

message 11: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) I prefer traditional print books, but I have read a couple ebooks in PDF format. The portability does make ebooks convenient, but I won't go out of my way to buy an ebook reader or the books themselves. The few I have were gifts or bought to support friends.

message 12: by Chriss (new)

Chriss I spend most of my life staring at a computer screen. I don't want to stare at a frakin screen to read as well. Plus, bookshelves never have hardrive trouble. I've never had to make a hardcopy for backup purposes of a paperback so that when I switch houses I don't loose my reading material.

I've found ebook versions of some books that are so out of print and collectible that buying a hardcopy would be a massive expense. I created a PDF version of the ebook that would read well when printed and printed the bugger out so I could read it. Yeah, it was unweildy, but I didn't have to spend all those hours of reading time damaging my eyes on a computer screen.

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 3 comments I might sound old fashioned, but I like to hold my books and read them. I like to go to the book store and browse books, and touch and feel them. I like read the back covers. That goes with most of my purchases. I like to touch and feel what I am buying. I think my eyes would hurt with an ebook. They get tired from reading the computer all day at work, so I cant imagine trying to read a book on the computer....

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I was initially opposed to the concept for all of the reasons everyone else used. However, I am heavily drawn to the Kindle or like device. I don't think they will ever replace real books, but to have that kind of portability seems logical. There are also neat features such as a dictionary, which usually I am not inclined to go find my dictionary when I come across an unfamiliar word. But at $400 and then $10/book, the economics don't seem realistic.