Children's Books discussion

Misc. Archive > Recently Read

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Alexandra Here are some of the Children's books I've read and enjoyed in the last couple months:

The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff by Jason Lethcoe
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo
Gregor the Overlanderseries by Suzanne Collins
Coraline by Neil Gaiman
The Field Guide series by Holly Black

Have any of you read any good Children's books recently?

message 2: by Celticfish (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:53PM) (new)

Celticfish I read The Mysterious Benedict Society too and I loved it.

The Ulysses Moore Books: The Door To Time, Long-Lost Map and House of Mirrors.
The Last Dragon by Silvana De Mari.

message 3: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:24PM) (new)

Alexandra Right now I'm reading The Case of the Left-Handed Lady: An Enola Holmes Mystery
by Nancy Springer. More of a pre-teen aged book. I really enjoyed The Case of the Missing Marquess: An Enola Holmes Mystery.

message 4: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:38PM) (new)

Alexandra I'm currently reading Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. I like it so far. Although parents who have problems with sorcery/magic won't like this one.

message 5: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt I just read a couple great books. The picture book Bats at the Beach by Brian Lies is adorable. The dark pictures show a fun romp at the beach and the rhyming prose perfectly personifies the bats.

The graphic novel Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow by James Sturm and Rich Tommaso. It is a great read for upper elementary age students and up.

message 6: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) I recently finished the first in the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson. It was a page turner. I will be reading the rest of this series. I love YA fiction.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished Let's Pretend This Never Happened and thought it was decent, especially considering that I've read it before.

message 8: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 99 comments Auntie J wrote: "I'm currently reading Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. I like it so far. Although parents who have problems with sorcery/magic won't like this one. "

I enjoyed it as well. I think he does a great job of taking some of the current themes and giving them an interesting twist.

message 9: by Chris (new)

Chris Meads | 94 comments I'm reading the "Princelings of the East" by Jemima Pett. It is a really great mystery with time travel involved.

message 11: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 1538 comments Mod
Sorry about the formatting in my comment above. It was the computer's decision.

message 12: by Esther (new)

Esther | 5 comments Just finished reading Coraline. It's really cute. I think parents should read it too.

message 13: by Carolien (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 99 comments I've started reading Ottoline and the Yellow Cat with my daughters last night. It is absolutely brilliant. The illustrations are very clever with all kinds of little quirks in hidden corners and the vocabulary is wide. My daughters (turned 5 last week and nearly 7) are poring over the book and finding more and more things that engage them. The humour is great and they love the funny names and little side comments in the pictures.

message 14: by Rita (new)

Rita (_ritamateus) Cool, I'll read the book, I promise, because I love the description!

message 15: by Beverly, Miscellaneous Club host (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 1538 comments Mod
Just finished reading Far Far Away to which I gave 5 stars.
I am starting House of Many Ways which is quite humorous so far.