Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal Lamb discussion

This I have GOT to read!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I've never heard of this author! I'm definitely putting this title on my "to read" list!

Robin You totally, totally have to. You won't be disappointed. This is one of the funniest, saddest books I have ever read.
It's so completely different from the rest of Christopher Moore's work (and his stuff is mostly pretty good), you won't believe it's the same guy.

Amanda I'm putting it on my to-read list. I guffawed my way through "The Stupidest Angel," and have been wanting to read something else by Moore. I'll make this my goal.

message 4: by D.M. (new) - added it

D.M. Boy, this could either be very clever and entertaining, or completely suck. I'm leaning toward the latter, but I'll add it to the list for reading sometime next year or so...

Leslie I just picked it up at the library...the lady behind me glared at me with that 'your book sounds disrespectful' look in her eyes. I think it sounds good...I ought to know after this afternoon when I start reading it!!

message 6: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily I felt bad because I liked Biff better than Joshua - he was so much more fun and more practical! I agreed with his "seems like a waste of a good adulteress" philosophy rather than Joshua's exhortation to "go forth and sin no more."

message 7: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam This is a very witty book, and it had me actually laughing at points. Most of this book was read with a smile on my face, despite my Roman Catholic mother reminding me repeatedly that the idea of Jesus doing martial arts is sacrilegious. I even used this book as part of a college course I taught on comedy in novels, and most of my students did enjoy it very much as well. It runs the full range of silly/slapstick to deep and ironic in terms of humor, but it's also the kind of book that asks you take a step back and consider a few major topics.

Stephanie Absolutely hilarious. Loved it.

Sylvia Ryan Some parts of this book could be interpreted as being disrespectful. But I think God gave us a sense of humor for a reason...and I also think he can take a little ribbing.

message 10: by Abby (new) - rated it 4 stars

Abby Fick I've read a lot of Moore, and this is the absolute best. So smart and witty, and also laugh-out-loud funny. Loved how the tradition of Jews getting Chinese take-out on Xmas came to be...
Disrespectful? Give me a break - just take a deep breath and enjoy it.

message 11: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 06, 2011 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Suzanne I enjoyed it too!! Keep and open mind and remember it is just a book - entertainment. Biff is extremely funny.

message 12: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I loved this book - did it as the audiobook and nearly crashed the car a few times because I was laughing so hard while I was driving (bad juju)...I'd only listened to one other of Moore's works before this one (Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings) - but i'm planning on starting Fool in the near future

Melissa Jensen I loved this book, it was the first one I read by Moore. Since then I've read several but I always remember how much I enjoyed this one, it is definately different from what he normally writes. So funny but he also has a special way he treats really difficult situations. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a laugh and who likes history. I would also recommend his other book "Fool". It's nothing like "Lamb", the language is way dirtier, more graphic, but very funny. I loved the story and how the fool interacts with the sisters. Thanks for the post, read it!

Emily I adored this one. I thought that it was completely worth a read, as food for thought. After all, since we don't know what Jesus was doing during the 'lost' years of the Bible, why COULDN'T it be that he was traveling with his buddy Biff, learning how to become the savior of mankind? I thought it was both touching and creative, and very funny.

message 15: by Kristin Laura (last edited Jun 12, 2011 03:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristin Laura This was my first Christopher Moore book, and I loved it. Now I know why Jews eat Chinese food on Christmas. I may have to reread it. Dirty Job is another favorite.

Stacey This is one of my all time favorite books! I reread the book a few weeks prior to a funeral. I had a very difficult time keeping a straight face during the beatitudes!

message 17: by Russ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Russ Colchamiro Not only one of the funniest books I've ever read, but one of the best books I've read, period. If you like reading, this is a MUST!

Brent terrific book, no doubt!

Michael T I don't often laugh my ass off while reading a book, but this one had some moments.

Ragini this was a hilarious book.. absolutely loved it and would like to try some more for Moore's books.

message 21: by Levi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Levi This is bar none one of my absolute favorite books. His newest one Fool is also exceptional. The humor in this one was just spot on while it also provided a hilarious look into the "mystery" years of Jesus.

message 22: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I need to listen to fool - I started and got distracted - have to admit, after Lamb and Fluke - A Dity Job was a bit disappointing - I didn't find it as funny

Sylvain Munger Dee wrote: "I need to listen to fool - I started and got distracted - have to admit, after Lamb and Fluke - A Dity Job was a bit disappointing - I didn't find it as funny"

Like you I loved Lamb and Fluke but had trouble with Dirty Job.
However, I did like Fool although it's not as great as either Lamb or Fluke but then again those two set the bar pretty high.

Maureen McGowan It's hilarious! I highly recommend. :)

Tasula Lamb is probably Moore's best book- but his most serious. LOVED IT AND WILL REREAD AGAIN AND AGAIN. For his books with slapstick humor, try The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove or Island of the Sequined Love Nun.

message 26: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee I defnintely enjoyed this book! I even used it for my bookclub. We had a blast discussing it!! lol

Natasha This was one of my favorite books by Moore, next to Fluke. Lamb crossed and untied so many different theologies while wondering how the actual events had occured then later chronicalled.

If you like Lamb then you might want to try Jitterbug Perfume. It is a little less hilarious and more indepth in mythology. When done reading Jitterbug Perfume the hilarity of Fluke comes spiraling back with new meaning and a different insight of the author's writing.

Has anyone else read Jitterbug Perfume?

message 28: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam "Has anyone else read Jitterbug Perfume? "

YES!! It is probably my favorite Tom Robbins book, though it is a VERY close call. I fell absolutely in love with this book before I even finished the first chapter, and Jitterbug Perfume, along with Lamb, gets a reread at least once a year. Both are such great novels because they make you think about theology and belief structures. Excellent, humorous writing in both books, as well.

Natasha Thanks Pam for your comment. I wasn't sure how many Tom Robbins fans there were out there. In either case both books are equal opportunity theology plots. If a reader is super religious and not willing to open their mind about the fables within their own religion or that of others....then these books aren't for them.
I don't know if you read The Secret Life of Bees or Fierce Invalids from Warm Climates. Both of those books also rely on religious connotations that enhance the belief and free will of the characters. If you haven't read those Pam I recommend. I sent you a friend requst by the way. Would love to try a reading group book with you to chat. You seem like you would be wonderful to analyze and chat about books. In any groups now?

message 30: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Nerdy -- I accepted your request. I have read everything Robbins wrote up to and including Villa Incognito, but I haven't sunk into his newest stuff yet, sadly. I'm not in any groups at the moment, but I'm not against joining one. Let me know if there are any in particular you'd like to chat about! it's nice to find others who enjoy the same off-the-wall books that I do!

Zuyen Lisa wrote: "I've never heard of this author! I'm definitely putting this title on my "to read" list!"

You have to! You will not regret it.

Tamela This was a selection for our book club at work and it is a favorite. What a wonderful perspective. Very funny. I originally got the book from the library, but enjoyed it so much I had to own it :)

Christine Lisa wrote: "I've never heard of this author! I'm definitely putting this title on my "to read" list!"

It is a funny Book. I laughed so many times. Yes please do this is one of chistopher Moore more wittier and funnier books.

message 34: by Jan (last edited Jul 18, 2011 07:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Up until I was introduced to Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal, my favorite haha funny book had been Lucky You by Carl Hiaasen; it never failed to amuse. Then "Lamb" came along and was the best fun read I'd had for a long time. I'd always wondered what kept Jesus busy during those years the Bible tells us nothing about. The more you know your Bible, the funnier "Lamb" is. I'd often wondered who invented sarcasm and now I know. There's at least one good giggle on every page. I have three copies of this book (one which is usually out on loan, one which I reread and the "biblical" version in black w/gilded edges) and still want to have it on CD as well.

message 35: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I liked the Kung-Fu explaination, as well as Sarcasm

I bought it from audible wiht one of my monthly credits - totally worth it

message 36: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Campain I have read this book 3 times. I could read it 3 more times. The book is absolutely a work of genius. It is hilarious but yet gives you plenty to ponder. It doesn't really matter if you know much about the bible but I think it is better. This book is like the movie Airplane....everytime you read it, you find some subtle thing that somehow you missed the last go around. I love this book!

Lindsay Nichols The other great thing about Chris Moore books is the character crossovers.

Willard Brickey Unless I skimmed too quickly nobody mentioned Bloodsucking Fiends! Another great Moore book.

Lindsay Nichols *hee hee* Jew-do...the way of the Jew...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Lindsay wrote: "I am a huge Chris Moore fan. I have read everything that he has. Now saying that, I think this has to be one of my favorites. Whether you are religious or not you will enjoy. To me, though it is fi..."

Couldn't have said it better myself!!!!

Sarenna LOVE this book. I definitely think this is one of his best books, along with Dirty Job.

Tasula Christopher Moore is fabulous- yet I think underappreciated. My favorites are Lamb (hilarious and yet tragic- I still grieve over the death of the yeti) and The Stupidest Angel, Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove, and Island of the Sequined Love Nun.

Lindsay Nichols Sarenna wrote: "LOVE this book. I definitely think this is one of his best books, along with Dirty Job."

Yes, yes, yes! Dirty Job and Lamb are my favourites too!

I quite liked Fool and I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings is stupidly sweet and wacky.

message 44: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Zargarpur I have read this book and think it is his best!

message 45: by Tom (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Rosales I loved the book best book written by Moore

message 46: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Mueck Fantasic book and one of Moore's best. Extremely funny. If you like it, also check out Dirty Jobs. That was my 2nd favorite

message 47: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Sylvia wrote: "Some parts of this book could be interpreted as being disrespectful. But I think God gave us a sense of humor for a reason...and I also think he can take a little ribbing."

If there is a God, then God created the platypus. And teenage boys. Both sure proof that God has a sense of humor.

message 48: by Zac (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zac Really? I definitely thought this was one of Moore's bigger disappointments. I love Moore's stuff, don't get me wrong, but I felt like Lamb tried WAY too hard and failed on almost every level.

message 49: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Mueck Really back at you

Worse than Fluke with the 2nd half living sea creature stupidty. Although first 1/2 was great.

Worse than You Suck? Really?

Hey to each their own, but don't think you will find many Moore fans that agree with you there. Just look at Amazon, has double the amount of reviews than any other book he wrote. For good reason. It is a great book

Please see readers reviews, you will find that BY FAR, Lamb is his most popular book. Compare the reviews to You Suck, and you will see what I mean

http://www.amazon.com/Christopher-Moo...

message 50: by Zac (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zac Alex wrote: "Really back at you

Worse than Fluke with the 2nd half living sea creature stupidty. Although first 1/2 was great.

Worse than You Suck? Really?

Hey to each their own, but don't think you ..."

I didn't mean to disparage anyone's opinion, I was just pointing out I was surprised by the overwhelming love for this one. I'd personally put Coyote Blue, Practical Demonkeeping, and Lust Lizard all well ahead of Lamb in my personal rankings. I might even toss in Stupidest Angel.

...and something being 'most popular' doesn't make it 'best'.

Again, sorry if I offended you - I was trying to start a battle of any kind. Just expressing my surprise.

« previous 1 3