Books I Loathed discussion

Loathed Titles > The Wicker Man

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new)

Kate This book made no sense to me, it was just disgusting, and I cannot imagine what the original movie was about. I hear the new movie is very different. This was a book based on a movie...I will not make that mistake twice.

message 2: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) The new movie was absolutely abysmal. My boyfriend and I saw it when it first came out because we thought the previews looked cool (I had no idea there was even a book).

We just looked at one another and wanted our $16 bucks back. Kind of the way we felt at the end of Children of Men.

message 3: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Kate (katiebobus) | 136 comments Mod
THANK YOU. Children of Men was a heap. What was the point? What was I supposed to take away from that?

message 4: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Alexandra | 16 comments I never read the book but I agree with Michelle, the movie was awful.

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) We liked the movie up until the ending. It seems to be a new thing with movies - Let's NOT give the audience a clear ending, either way!

We never find out if the boat is a good boat or a bad boat! Argh!!

message 6: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 17 comments I've watched the original 'Wicker Man.' Of course I loved the leading man, Edward Woodward, who used to do a series called...The Equalizer. The original was a good movie. I haven't seen the new Wickerman but I've heard it doesn't stand up to the old.

I have seen The Children of Men and I have to say I loved the movie. Honestly. If you compare it to Star Trek shows, which are scrubbed bare, the Children gives you actual garbage where garbage should be, instead of clean clean clean.

And if you look at how they created the movie, you'd find they actually have scenes that unfold for about 12 minutes without stopping and editing. Unheard of. Amazing movie!

message 7: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 17 comments Michelle,

I understood it that there was an oceangoing vessel (or vessels) out there that as a 'rescue team' for those fertile people. The boat was a good boat.

message 8: by Erica (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Erica Poole | 65 comments I haven't seen WickerMan, a friend of mine warned me, and told me the ending, so what was the point then? But I have to say that I loved Children of Men. I admit, the vague endings are always frustrating, but I see why they did it there, or at least I think I know why.

Part of appreciating that movie, and I expressed this in another thread, is my age and where I am in my life. I don't think it was so much about what happens to this woman and this baby, but more so about what happens to society when we can see an end in sight. With no hope or chance to continue our line.

Maybe this is TMI, but personally, I am having difficulty having a child, and I am not the springiest of chickens, and I have friends and have met more people who are in the same, or worse, boats than I. When I was younger, and before I had this trouble I don't know that I personally would have appreciated COM, but now I can see how society would fall apart at the idea that we could no longer procreate.

It begins a cycle of hopelessness and a loss of, well, a point. I do not feel hopeless yet, and I hope to never feel that, but I do understand now why women can develop mental issues when they can't have kids. And if you apply that on a grand scale of NOONE ever having kids, I can see why the author portrayed the world the way they did. So I guess I feel that I did get COM, and again, even 5 years ago I don't think I could have said the same.

That was about $2.98 (vs 2 cents!)

message 9: by Michelle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Michelle (literarilyspeaking1) Foxthyme,

I got that part about the fact that they were waiting for a boat to come rescue her (I couldn't have missed it because it kind of beat you over the head). However, it's pretty safe to say that if the good guys have a boat, the bad guys could also have a boat, so you don't know which one it is with the way they ended it.

And, I loved the cinematography. Alfonso Cuaron is one of my favorite visualists, although I don't seem to like the way he puts his movies together...

message 10: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 17 comments LOL. Guess I just decided it was the good boat.

And, yeah, movie rhythms are like book rhythms. Sometimes they work for us and other times nada.