The Young Adult Historical Fiction Society discussion

Authors > All About Authors! (no self-promotion, please)

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 17, 2011 05:26PM) (new)

Lets talk about authors! Do you have a favorite? Why do you love them? What are their best books? Have you recently discovered an author you've never read before? Are there any authors you don't care for? Whatever author topics you want to discuss, this is the thread to do it in.

message 2: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (Veronica_Mitchell) My favorite author is Meg Cabot. And my really exciting news (exciting to me anyway) is that I am going to one of her book signings next month for the release of Abandon! I am super excited. I don't even mind the 6 and half hour drive.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read any of her books Veronica! But I've been tempted! I think I might have to soon! Abandon looks pretty good! That's exciting that you're going to a signing by your favorite author though!

I need to add Cassandra Clare to this list! I love her books! I'm going to the midnight release party for City of Fallen Angels! I can't wait for that book!

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (Veronica_Mitchell) Amy, her books are really good. My favorite is a toss up between her Mediator and 1-800-Where-R-You series'.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 21, 2011 12:11PM) (new)

Ooh, Abandon sounds like a good read. Added! I have never read anything by Meg Cabot. I know you're not suppose to judge books by their covers or whatever but I always see The Princess Diaries covers and they're so bright and effervescent that they're off putting to me. I know she has written other stuff but I've never bothered too terribly to explore her body of work. Maybe I'll give her a shot, she might surprise me. It wouldn't be the first time.

Yes, that is very exciting about the book signing!

message 6: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments I have not read any of Meg Cabot

message 7: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments I thought I was the only one who hadent!

message 8: by Maree (new)

Maree | 99 comments Elle, I'm exactly the same! After the Princess Diaries, I figured her stuff wasn't really for me. But I also found out that she has a lot of other aliases that she's now bringing to light, I think. I might have to give her a shot, too.

message 9: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 85 comments I think I have one of her books on my list i can't remember

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 21, 2011 12:19PM) (new)

Jinx by Meg Cabot was one that sort of peaked my interest. Wow, she has written like an insane number of books.

message 11: by Maree (new)

Maree | 99 comments I'll give it a shot if you will!

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 21, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

Oh, I see she even wrote some YA HF romances:

Nicola and the Viscount by Meg Cabot Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot

Yeah, I'll definitely give her a shot.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (Veronica_Mitchell) I think her Princess Diaries series is one that you actually like or dislike, really no in between. I have read Nicola and the Viscount by Meg Cabot and Victoria and the Rogue by Meg Cabot and they are good as well.

message 14: by Emi (new)

Emi Believe it or not, I have NEVER read anything by Meg Cabot. She's one of those authors who just has so many books that I don't even try to keep up.

I'm always impressed by authors who go way out of their way to research the time periods that they're writing about.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 270 comments I didn't realize she had written so many books either. I only really knew about her Mediator, Avalon High, and Princess Diaries series which are all YA.

The only book I've ever read by her just happened to be an adult book actually named Insatiable.

message 16: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (Veronica_Mitchell) I read Insatiable and really liked it. What did you think of it Stacia?

message 17: by Emi (new)

Emi At this point I know I shouldn't be, but I'm always surprised to hear that some of my favorite movies were based off of her books. Like Princess Diaries. I had no clue that was based off of a Cabot book until tonight.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) Sadly, I've never read a Meg Cabot book either. I have seen some of the movies based off her books though, like Princess Diaries and Avalon High lol.

message 19: by Emi (new)

Emi How was Avalon High? I've always wanted to watch it.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

There was an Avalon High movie?

I always am blown away by the movies I didn't know where based on books too, Emi.

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (narcisse) Kinda silly. Most of the acting was..interesting. But it's like a Disney Channel movie or something, right? So that's to be expected. I bet the book is way cooler.

Holy shiz I just realized you can adjust the size of the box you type comments in.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 270 comments Veronica wrote: "I read Insatiable and really liked it. What did you think of it Stacia?"

I liked it too. The only complaint that I had originally was it felt like it was cut short, and that bothered me because at the time it wasn't showing as number one in a series. Now that I know it's going to be a series, I like it even better.

Sort of like this book (which I just realized I can add to my historical list. It's not technically showing as YA but it read like an older YA book and it's by a YA author, so I think of it as YA)

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

MNIM pissed me off to no end because there was no real ending or resolution. Only when someone said that it's supposed to be part of a series did I stop screaming in frustration (okay, I didn't really scream).

message 23: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 23, 2011 09:50PM) (new)

Oh, hmm... I think I remember it. Vaguely. Wasn't there a Panabaker sister in it?

I totally said I was going to bed like an hour ago... And yet, I'm laying in bed typing out responses on my Blackberry because I keep getting e-mail notices, haha.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Dude you guys! I totally DVR'd the Avalon High movie! I haven't watched it yet because I wanted to read the book first! But yes, Disney straight-to-TV movie. That just makes it sound sooo much better, yes? You guys are all invited to my house to watch it on movie night! :)

message 25: by Maree (new)

Maree | 99 comments Haha, yay movie night! :D

Emi wrote: "I'm always impressed by authors who go way out of their way to research the time periods that they're writing about."

I have to say that I'm usually just depressed when they don't....

message 26: by Mk323 (last edited May 19, 2011 06:06PM) (new)

Mk323 | 27 comments OK, not technically YA but the mc is only 15/16 and it's so beautifully written: Fortune's Rocks, by Anita Shreve--my all time favorite HF writer! Kate Morton's The House at Riverton is a close second. But I also love HF by YA writers Laurie Halse Anderson, Jennifer Donnely, Carolyn Meyer, and Anna Godberson.

message 27: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ | 20 comments I have two favorite authors. One is Kimberley Brubaker Bradley, whose book "For Freedom" really got me hooked on her. I also love Ann Rinaldi's books. She is a phenomenal author and researcher.

PS: sorry i didn't include book/author links; I'm on my phone and cant

message 28: by NC (new)

NC Wilson | 3 comments A new author I enjoy is James Aura his book When Saigon Surrendered: A Kentucky Mystery
is from the point of view of a Kentucky teenager dealing with a family scandal and a mafia-like group. Really good story telling. The author says he is writing a sequel and I am looking forward to it. I would say anyone over 16 would probably enjoy this author a lot.

The Young Adult Historical Fiction Society

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

City of Fallen Angels (other topics)
Abandon (other topics)
The Princess Diaries (other topics)
Jinx (other topics)
Nicola and the Viscount (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Aura (other topics)