Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > Joyce's 100 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) This one's a challenge that's been circulating the internet for ages (I first spotted it on Livejournal, but know others who do it). I suspect that I already read 100 books or more a year, it's just a matter of tracking it. But just in case, I'm going to try it and see :D And if it's too silly or trivial, feel free to delete it >.>

Here's the current list. I'll add to it as I complete books (don't have completion dates for the ones already on the list, didn't think about dates until just now).

1) The Gathering Storm
2) Falling Sideways
3) Neuromancer
4) Circus of the Damned (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #3)
5) The Lunatic Cafe
6) Furies of Calderon
7) Storm Front
8) Academ's Fury
9) The Drowning City
10) Cursor's Fury
11) Captain's Fury
12) Princeps' Fury
13) First Lord's Fury
14) Fool Moon
15) The City & The City
16) Flirt

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Great..GL with this :D!

There is somewhere on GR to actually make the challenge and GR keeps track of it..I dunno where it is though ><;;

message 3: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Good luck Joyce! Laura is right. Here is the link to the Goodreads 2011 Reading Challenge. It counts down the books for you and gives you like a countdown bar that shows you where you are. You get to the site by clicking on 'home' at the top of the goodreads page and the challenge is down and to the right of that page.

http://www.goodreads.com/challenges/2...

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Cheers Mandy!!

Super handy to use :D!!

message 5: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) Aha! Excellent, thanks Mandy :D Is it okay if I keep this updated anyway, in case anyone finds something interesting to look at?

message 6: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Absolutely! I know we'll all enjoy cheering you on and talking about our own progress.:)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Joyce here is a tool you might find fun to help track your reading goal. Create your own tick counter.

http://www.tickerfactory.com/counter/...

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments YAH! Keep on postin' them heer too :D!! It is still a 'goal' of yours so it's a challenge not matter what.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Joyce, I'm always interested in what other folks are reading. If you want to make a little note by the most memorable or 'recommendable' books, telling us a few words about them, as you go along, that would be extra fun. :)

message 10: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) Been awhile since I've been able to be on here. Uni's been quite insane. Here's what I've finished since then, and a few sentences about them.

17) Beach Music
I've always found it hard to describe Pat Conroy books. Set in the American South, it is the story of a man who is returning home after a long self-imposed exile. This book moves me in ways I can't describe, and because I read it in the years I was becoming a true adult, it has affected me in ways I cannot begin to articulate. There's family, friendship, food, love, the Holocaust, the Vietnam War, and always, like another character, the South. Not something I'd openly recommend to anyone, but certainly one of my personal all-time favourites.

18) In-N-Out Burger: A Behind-the-Counter Look at the Fast-Food Chain that Breaks All the Rules
As a native Californian, I have a special relationship with In 'n' Out and its burgers, like a lot of other Californians I know. I found this in an airport bookshop, and was intrigued. In a world full of massive fast food chains, selling and striving to outpace industry rivals, In 'n' Out has always stuck out as a fast food chain of integrity and quality. It is a smaller, family-owned chain, and I thought it was about time I learned about where it came from and things happening behind the scenes. The book disappointed me in some ways, as I found the author's occasional meanderings into the overall history of the fast food industry both slightly tedious, and interesting, at different points. An interesting read, but it makes me wish I could go back to California for an In 'n' Out burger.

19) Bloody Bones (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #5)
The Anita Blake series is a guilty pleasure of mine. The cultural anthropology of the series is fascinating to me. Many of Hamilton's detractors take issue with the increasing amount of sex that she includes in her books as the series moves along. This book is part of the set preceding when overt sexual encounters and writing are introduced into the series. When re-reading Anita Blake novels in the past, I have often avoided this book. I picked it up because I suddenly couldn't remember exactly why I avoided it. I remember now. Although it could be largely considered par for the course for Anita Blake novels, I found Serephina unsettling as a master vampire, as well as the nature of the bodies encountered. Not one of my favourites from this series, by a reasonable margin, although there are certainly the usual enjoyable aspects when Anita verbally or physically beating someone upside the head who was asking for it.

20) Furies of Calderon
My husband recently finished this series, and it made me want to read this series again (Codex Alera series). I read and finished it in February, but thought it would be interesting to read it again knowing the things that I now know. A well-written book, I would certainly recommend this to those who enjoy high fantasy. Jim Butcher has a well-developed system and world built in this series, with political intrigue, and an unlikely hero. He manages to juggle several interwoven plotlines with notable skill, and the character development is excellent. This, the first in the series, establishes a solid foundation from which the rest of the books build upon.

21) Academ's Fury
The second book in the Codex Alera series. This is arguably one of my favourites of this series. We follow the characters introduced in Furies of Calderon two years down the track, with a new series of dangers to the realm at hand. It's hard to explain why this book appeals to me more than most of the others in the series, but much of it probably has to do with the establishing of key alliances and friendships. As with many series, it makes much more sense if you've read the first.

And that catches us up to now :D Hope you guys find those comments useful! Feel free to discuss and/or ask me questions about them, here or through personal message.

message 11: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) Also, apparently re-reading a book in the same year will not register towards a reading challenge. So now my challenge, as recorded by Goodreads is short by two books, which is sort of silly.

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68365 comments Mod
That's no good Joyce...at least you know you've done it though.

You're doing really well with your challenge...with some great info there too. Thanks.:)

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Well done Joyce, you're doing really well.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments keep going Joyce :D Doing a fine job for the quest of 100 books i think :)

message 15: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (nikkehsky) I'll come back and edit with links and summaries sometime next week. In the midst of a bunch of projects right now, but thought I'd update before I forgot all the books I'd read!

22) Cursor's Fury
23) Captain's Fury
24) Princeps' Fury
25) First Lord's Fury
26) Killing Dance
27) Burnt Offerings
28) Blue Moon
29) Obsidian Butterfly
30) Jane Eyre
31) The Crooked Letter

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4298 comments Cool..Joyce you are doing really well :D!

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68365 comments Mod
Wow! Looks great Joyce!

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) going well :)