We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Bekah's Fun House! > Friday Question Series

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I thought it might be fun to start an off topic question forum. We can discuss for one week, starting on Fridays, one question only. They can range from the serious to the silly and anything and everything in between.

Ideas:

Do we have a throw-away society?

Is child behavior better or worse than it was years ago?

Should companies market to children?

Should the government have a say in our diets?

Does access to condoms prevent teen pregnancy?

Does access to condoms promote irresponsible, dangerous, or bad behavior?

Are actors and professional athletes paid too much?

If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?

When being sentenced to death, by Lethal Injection, Why do they sterilize the needle?

Can you cry under water?

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?

or relationship questions, money questions, or health questions.

Submit them to me however you want and I'll post it for discussion among the group for the week!

message 2: by Lisa Kay (last edited Mar 04, 2011 02:55PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Okay, Bekah. After your e-mail, I'll post my answers here.

Do we have a throw-away society?
Definitely. Consider that floating barge of trash!

Is child behavior better or worse than it was years ago?
Worse. I’m sorry, but I was never allowed to run wild around a restaurant when I was a kid. Would never even thought to do so or I would be burnt toast. And no, my parents did not use corporal punishment; all they had to do was give me ‘the look’. But, now that I think of it, I do remember my mother pinching me under the table once at a restaurant when I was a teenager flirting with an eagle scout, and her whispering “You’re treading on thin ice.”

Should companies market to children?
They would be fool not to! McDonalds made a fortune this way.

Should the government have a say in our diets?
Yes, to an extent. There should be more education. I’m glad they removed the vending machines at high schools here in California. Though they were making a ton of money, the teachers found it impossible to instruct with kids hopped up on sugar and caffeine. I never had a weight problem until I started buying snacks from these machines.

Does access to condoms prevent teen pregnancy?
Yup. And abortions.

Does access to condoms promote irresponsible, dangerous, or bad behavior?
Nope.

Are actors and professional athletes paid too much?
Yup, and firemen too little.

If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Midnight blue.

When being sentenced to death, by Lethal Injection, Why do they sterilize the needle?
Habit. LOL. Never know when there will be a last second reprieve by the governor.

Can you cry under water?
I can cry anywhere.

How important does a person have to be before they are considered assassinated instead of just murdered?
Wow. Great question. I’m open to answers.

or relationship questions, money questions, or health questions.
Any of the above are fine with me.

message 3: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Ok..here's our first real submitted question:

"So, if your partner calls you 'beautiful' and then later makes a statement that all of their past relationships were beautiful,do you still feel special or does that maybe bother you a bit? Shouldn't I be the only beautiful one now and they cease to be beautiful?! Am I wrong here?"

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments So Which question do I answer? All ones in the first post or just the one above? I know it's early...and I'm blonde, but I'm confused again!

message 5: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments answer whatever strikes you Heidi! After this first week, we'll only have one question per week, so it won't be confusing!

message 6: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Bekah wrote: "Ok..here's our first real submitted question:

"So, if your partner calls you 'beautiful' and then later makes a statement that all of their past relationships were beautiful,do you still feel sp..."

I think that you should definitely be able to feel like his one and only beautiful~

:)

message 7: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Sorry soooo late! It's been one of THOSE days. Here's today's question:

How do you feel about the bride or groom who has someone of the opposite sex stand at the alter with them as a bridesmaid or bestman?

message 8: by Sheery (last edited Mar 11, 2011 05:45PM) (new)

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 29 comments Bekah wrote: "Sorry soooo late! It's been one of THOSE days. Here's today's question:

How do you feel about the bride or groom who has someone of the opposite sex stand at the alter with them as a bridesmaid..."

I like this question. Personally, I've never been to a wedding where this occurred. However, it wouldn't bother me a bit if it did. I believe the ones standing up for and with the bride and groom should be the truest friends and family that they have.

My father didn't come to my wedding. It was all right with me though, as we don't have a relationship. I asked my mom and my aunt to give me away together. They are the people who were consistent in my growing up - and my Aunt continues to be one of my closest and most cherished relatives. I'm certain some at my wedding thought it was weird but it worked for my husband and I so there you go. :)

message 9: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Sheery, Good for you! At a celebration like that it is up to you.

message 10: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I agree! Good for you Sheery and what an honor you bestowed upon them! They had to be beaming with love and pride!

message 11: by Heidi (last edited Mar 13, 2011 11:01AM) (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Bekah wrote: "Sorry soooo late! It's been one of THOSE days. Here's today's question:

How do you feel about the bride or groom who has someone of the opposite sex stand at the alter with them as a bridesmaid..."

Ok, I cannot believe you asked this question! My Brother In Law was my Maid of Honor! It didn't happen intentionally! My cousin Mindy was supposed to be. This is the story, hope you'll enjoy:

My hubby and I sort of eloped and we married at an outdoor concert. The whole thing was set up by friends and some family(the few who knew we were getting married). Mindy was at the tent buying beer(waiting in line) when the justice of the peace appeared to marry us(we didn't even know when it would happen)...by the time she got back with the beer, we were already married. Thank goodness my Brother in Law stepped up(he is the best)! My other Brother in law was the best man. SO thats how my BIL became my maid of honor!! Good thing my Hubby has 2 brothers huh?

message 12: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments That's a cute and funny story!! What was the concert?

message 13: by Sheery (new)

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 29 comments heidi - I love your story! How awesome and good thing someone else was there to stand up for you. I'd love to know the concert, as well.

Lisa Kay and Bekah - Thanks for your comments. My daughters get a kick out of seeing the pictures of their Grandma and Great-Aunt giving me away. My oldest melts my heart because she always says she wants her Daddy and I to give her away. That's a couple of decades off but I hope she still feels that way when the time comes. :)

message 14: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments One of my best friends had both her parents give her away. This was like, 1976? It caused some mummers in the church...but so what! They laughed joyously all the way up the aisle.

message 15: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments thats really awesome!!!

message 16: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Th concert was GEORGE JONES!!! Who we didnt even like! We were there to see the 4th of July fireworks show(knew we would be there) and decided a week before the show we would get married there.

And I do have the best BIL!

message 17: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments So...I'm so sorry I forgot to post the question from last week. But here's a question from me, myself and I. I don't know if any of you have seen this interview Connie Brockway gave, but she makes a pretty big announcement and I was just wondering what your thoughts are on all of it.

Take a look:

http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=6169

She also posted this on her fb page.

message 18: by Heidi (last edited Mar 26, 2011 02:19PM) (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Well if her books wil only be released on ebook, looks like I won't be reading her unless I get some sort of e-reader, which I currently don't have...and since I've only read her short story with Eloisa James and Julia Quinn, guess I won't know what I'm missing!

message 19: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments well, I'm not sure how I feel about it, I'm still processing through it. But don't miss out on her. I know that My Dearest Enemy by Connie Brockway is a 5 star book for me and I love it and I've heard that As You Desire by Connie Brockway is phenomenal. So give her a chance with those and see what you think.

message 20: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Don't get me wrong Bekah, I liked her style int eh book with the other 2 authors, its just too bad that her new stuff will only be ebooks.

message 21: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments Today's Question:

Have you done your taxes yet?

message 22: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Nope.

message 23: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments lol, me either! I usually do it ASAP, and this year of all years that I need it, I haven't done it! I'm hoping this weekend.

message 24: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Good luck. I'm going to be bad this week-end and put it off again.

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments Bekah wrote: "Today's Question:

Have you done your taxes yet?"

Sure have...just received my Federal refund today.

message 26: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments ugh...must do this!

message 27: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 380 comments Bekah wrote: "Today's Question:

Have you done your taxes yet?"

Yup. Mailed it to our tax preparer a couple of weeks ago, but still waiting to get the paperwork back from her.

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Yep all done...have been for 6 weeks now.

message 29: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments you're on top of it Heidi!!!

I did mine yesterday!

message 30: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments I gett hem done as soon as I can. I am so anal aboutt hings like that, it would drive me crazy NOt ahving them done!