Start by marking “As You Desire (Braxton, #1)” as Want to Read:
As You Desire (Braxton, #1)

As You Desire

(Braxton #1)

Kidnapped, drugged, and about to be sold to the highest bidder, Desdemona Carlisle is having a hell of a time maintaining her English pride. Then she sees the man in black, galloping through the Egyptian desert on a pure white steed. Desdemona could not have conjured a more dashing savior in her wildest fantasies. But an unlikelier hero would be impossible to find: Harry B ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about As You Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As You Desire

Dina
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dina by: K.
WOW! LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT! Thats all I have to say. :)

And here's my favorite passage (excerpt available at CB's website, so this isn't a spoiler):

“And Blake.” Harry shook his head in disgust. “Such affectations.”

“You are calling someone affected?” she asked, raising her brows. “You, who employ two secretaries, one for your Arab dealings and one for your English? You, who are too high and mighty to write your own correspondence?”

Harry grinned. “That’s different. At least I don’t commit th
MelissaB
**ducking all the flying tomatoes**

I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy reading this book. I found the story and romance frustrating. The romance didn't work for me because Harry and Dizzy had so many misconceptions between them and I barely saw them interact in a romantic way. Dizzy thinks Harry doesn't like her as more than a friend for most of the book, while we don't see Harry's real feelings until past the 100 page mark then I was annoyed at him for not going after what he wanted. I just
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖
Dios mio, que bueno que esta este libro!!!!!

ME ENCANTÓ, ME ENCANTÓ, ME ENCANTÓ!!!!!

Apenas lo empece y Harry ya me tenía medio enamorada y ni hablar de Dizzy. Me encanta cuando las protagonistas son estas románticas empedernidas raritas que comparan todo el tiempo al interés amoroso con el típico "Calavera" de los romances históricos PERO sin llegar a ser excesivamente inocentes/ingenuas, o sea son ingenuas pero no TANTO y el quid de la cuestión es que se den cuenta que la realidad supera a la fi
Jane Stewart
May 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Hero and heroine stupidity. Nothing special or different. I wanted it to be over.

STORY BRIEF:
Desdemona (Des) was a child prodigy. She spent her youth with strict tutors who taught her many languages, including Egyptian hieroglyphics. Her parents died. She now lives with her grandfather in Egypt. She sneaks out of the house often, dressed in disguise as an Arab woman, going to bazaars and antique dealers. Her grandfather is an expert in Egyptian antiques and doesn’t have much money. Des provides
Debbie DiFiore
KatLynne
Thanks again, Jilly, for introducing me to another very talented author and fantastic read!

(view spoiler)
Andrea
It's really not the book, just me!

I'm torn about this book. I've enjoyed other books by Connie Brockway, but this one just didn't work for me. At all. From the very beginning. I didn't hate it, but I just rolled my eyes so much at it that I didn't enjoy it... I've been told you have to be in the mood for this, and I definitely wasn't. To me, it was too over the top, too farcical, too. Everything. I didn't find any of it funny for some reason. Not the stupidity of the heroine (seriously, she get'
willaful
I just saw someone mention a “frenemies-to-lovers” plot, which is an apt description for this historical romance. As it opens, Desdemona (Dizzy) has been captured by Egyptian slave traders and is half-fearfully, half-eagerly waiting to see what’s going to happen. (She has a vivid and romantic imagination. Also, she’s bored and somewhat tipsy.) But the mysterious, exotic figure she envisions owning her turns out to be someone she knows very well: “She stared at him, disbelief turning to amazement ...more
Keri
What a wonderful read! Harry was just the bomb in this book. I wanted to hug him at least 50 times during the reading of the book and then go out and hurt anybody that even looked at him wrong. There wasn't any magic, a changeling, a vampire or werewolf in sight in the book. It wasn't even that long, but it was well wrote simple historical romance. The writing imagery was really beautiful and the poetry that Harry spoke to Dizzy had me fanning myself. Sweet words for sure. If I had a drawback, I ...more
Zeek
A quirky historical romance in many ways, I really enjoyed As You Desire.

This story follows our protags through the sands and markets of Egypt as they come to an understanding about each other. I loved that the setting of AYD stayed in Egypt. Historical Romance is my first love, but, having read the genre through several decades now, I've grown weary of the English/Scottish settings. Reading this one was breath of fresh air and it is my desire to see other authors branch out like that.

Desdemona
Lisa Kay

★★★★ My second star rating, but it wasn’t quite at 4 and I wanted to let some people know that it is well worth the read and might be a candidate for their “favorites shelf”. A fun book with a wonderful hero and heroine, plus many secondary characters, all set in exotic Egypt. I really put off reading this one for too long, ladies. Looking forward to the next in the series.

The Braxtons
As You Desire (Braxton, #1) by Connie Brockway The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2) by Connie Brockway
Autumn
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a beating heart in pursuit of romance.
Recommended to Autumn by: anja, bj rose

Without preambles i would get to the pt and say " this book will always have a special place in my heart" for several reasons.

the setting, the characters, the plot, the prose! do i have to say more?!? :)

the setting is Victorian Egypt. it was an amazing ride! Brockway makes the most beautiful descriptions of an Egyptian sunset..the color, textures, smells, the atmosphere that surrounds this characters is just amazingly exotic!.

the plot was enchanting!! We have two people who have always felt lik
Carisa
I loved, loved, loved this book. Such an original story and setting, excellent writing, great characters. An unforgettable, different hero. An unforgettable romance which raised the bar on my historical romance reading.
HERO is a Rogue and a Loner, ashamed of what he thinks makes him a lesser man and who doesn't feel worthy of the heroine he's loved for years.
SCENES/CONTENT: few/hot
GENRE/TONE: historical/drama
LENGHT: 390 pages
Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
When we first meet Desdemona Carlisle she's bored, bound, a bit tipsy on fermented milk and awaiting the auctioning block. She's an Englishwoman and has been abducted by an overzealous young Arab. A romantic, Desdemona begins to fantasize about how exciting it might be to bought by a desert Prince. Then opportunist Harry Braxton shows up to save her hide. She can't believe her rotten luck and tells him, "If you bought me I'll kill you!".

Thus begins this truly fun, character driven, adventurous r
Georgie-who-is-Sarah
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

Excellent stuff - great sense of place, and well-rounded characters. Couple of minor quibbles, but nothing that stopped me gobbling this up in an evening.

OK - full review. First and foremost, I enjoyed it a lot, cared about the H&h and will certainly read it again. BUT, I've been thinking about this one quite a bit since I read it, and though I loved H&h, it doesn't quite make DIK grade because the rest of the book doesn't support them enough.

For me there are th
Ruth
I kind of enjoyed this one. It wasn't a struggle to finish it, and there was nothing really irritating about it, and I did enjoy the Egyptian setting, but it didn't really engage me particularly.

Both the hero and heroine are good characters, with flaws and the attraction between them is credible, also their secrets are actually pretty good, and, particularly the hero's, would have been incredibly embarrassing during that era.

The setting was fabulous, and made me think of Death on the Nile, apart
Nikki
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People that love HR with a more exotic flavour.
Recommended to Nikki by: Catherine
4.5 stars.

A straightforward and delightful read, it actually surprised me how much I enjoyed this book! It was the first HR I've read that was set in Egypt and I have to admit that I wasn't sure what to expect. I guess I was concerned that the cultural aspect of the setting would be overly descriptive and perhaps a little boring but instead I found it utterly entrancing. It allowed the characters a certain amount of freedom by not being restricted by English society and propriety and instead abl
Amelia Fransisca
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance lovers
Recommended to Amelia by: no one
Saly
What a fun read with such an unusual setting: Egypt. I took off 1 star because the heroine took stupid chances and was very naive.
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖
Me maravilla, cuando lo analizas, como un par de letras juntas puede emocionar tanto a una persona. Parece cosa de magia...

Me quito el sombrero, creo que el único defecto que tiene este libro es que es demasiado corto. Uno no puede tener suficiente de Harry y Dizzy.

Estos dos son de esas parejas épicas que hasta están a la altura de Elizabeth y Darcy (en cuanto a la estima que les tengo, porque sus historias nada que ver). Así de geniales son!!
Zoe
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really could have been better. I liked it well enough, was a very sweet story and Harry oh Harry so heartbreaklingly heroic. (I really do seemt o have a thing for guys named Harry.) Dizzy is alright, I don't particularly like her nor do I dislike her. It is Harry who made this story great.

But something is missing. I don't know exactly what. I am sorry this is a rather useless review. I wish I could pinpoint why this book did not get a 5 stars from me because I really liked it. I did n
Brandy
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The nerd in me liked this a lot. I am rating it higher than it deserves. I liked the unusual setting, the adventure.
Susan (susayq ~)
Oh Harry Braxton, could you come over to my house and I'll read you any piece of paper, book, comic strip you want as long as you whisper things like you told Desdemona into my ear. Things like...

"why look, even Ra himself cannot resist you. Only see how he lathes your cheeks and brow with his heated tongue," - he reached out, brushing his fingers over her tanned cheek - "marking you with his golden kiss? How can a mere mortal man stand a chance if even the gods are so enamored?" he whispered. "
Edna
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Another one of those AAR listed books that I've had my eyes on. This one was a first for me because it's set in Victorian Egypt. I've read only one other book during 1890 but it was in America with some of the similar social rules. As You Desire has a very nice change of location and culture, much more free and colorful than stuffy regency England times in the earlier 1800s.

The two main characters were full of life and entertaining. Their relationship was so much fun, lots of banter and familari
Lindsay
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. This was a great example of everything I look for in HR. It was a joy to read from beginning to end. Harry definitely makes the list of my favorite male leads, and while Desdemona wasn't my absolute favorite, she had likeable qualities and was understandable. I did like that she was very intelligent and gifted at languages; she took a few unnecessary risks, but I wouldn't qualify her as TSTL. Harry was just wonderful- rugged, handsome, smart, witty, loyal, honest....pretty much everyt ...more
Linds
I really enjoyed this romance. This is a five star hero and a three star book.

The Good -
1. Harry is a wonderful hero. He has the facade of a man that doesn't care about anything except making money on Egyptian treasures. What the reader doesn't know is that his manipulative and charming personality is born from a necessity to hide the fact that he is dyslexic and can't read. In his time the closest diagnosis they have is "word blindness" and carries with it the stigma of retardation. Harry has
Zumbagirl
This was the first book I've read by Connie Brockway, after reading many excellent reviews. It was a very good story and I enjoyed it. But...a few things bothered me. Harry is a likable hero and I sympathized with his disability. However, I really felt he should have told Desdemona about his issue rather than working so hard to turn her feelings away from him. It did seem like having his cousin visit him in Egypt was the impetus for Harry to finally reach out to Desdemona (and her name was killi ...more
Hannah
As You Desire starts out a bit slow. I had trouble getting into it until about a third of the way into it, when the author starts writing some of the scenes from Harry Braxton's perspective. From that point on, I was hooked.

I honestly think it would be difficult for anyone to read As You Desire without falling at least a little bit in love with Harry. He is a perfect blend of roguish charm and inner vulnerability. The rest of the characters are almost equally engaging. Desdemona is not a deeply
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
In June 21, 2011 I read "The Lady Most Likely... A Novel in Three Parts", I got it because I was an avid Julia Quinn fan. But I ended up falling the hardest for Connie Brockway's part. All 3 of the parts were amazing, but Connie's story stayed with me, so years later -5 to be precise- I ordered "As You Desire", I started last night and I fell in love from chapter one. Have you watched and liked "The Mummy"? This has the same feeling.

Because I speak both languages (Arabic and English) it was so m
sraxe
I think this is a case of the book just not being for me. While I enjoyed the interactions between Harry and Dizzy, the rest of it just fell flat for me. I often found myself tempted to skim and I can't even say what it was about it that just kept me from being invested in it. I liked Harry and I liked Dizzy and I definitely like them together...but, even they couldn't endear the rest of the book to me.
  • Untie My Heart
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • Bliss (de Saint Vallier Brothers, #1)
  • Not Quite a Husband (The Marsdens, #2)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • To Love a Thief
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Thunder & Roses (Fallen Angels #1)
New York Times and USAToday best selling author Connie Brockway has twice won the Romance Writers of America's Rita award for best historical romance as well as being an eight time finalist. After receiving a double major in art history and English from Macalester College, Connie entered grad school with an eye to acquiring her MFA in creative writing. Soon enough she jettisoned the idea of writin ...more

Braxton (2 books)
  • The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2)
“Has he ever even said he loved you?"
"He's been telling me for years," she said softly, "I just wasn't listening”
13 likes
“He stopped. She heard the intake of his breath. “You are my country, Desdemona.” Yearning, harsh and poignant and she felt herself swaying toward him. “My Egypt. My hot, harrowing desert and my cool, verdant Nile, infinitely lovely and unfathomable and sustaining.”

She gasped.

His gaze fell, shielded by his lashes. An odd, half-mocking smile played about his lips. “You’ll never hear old Blake say something like that.”

She swallowed, unable to speak, her senses abraded by his stimulating words, her pulse hammering in anticipation? Trepidation?

“Remember my words next time he calls you a bloody English rose.”
12 likes