Irish Readers discussion

Books you've read in one day

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dem (last edited Mar 04, 2011 02:52AM) (new)

Dem Read The House of Special Purpose in one Day The House of Special Purpose by John Boyne a great novel by John Boyne and The Pearl by John Steinbeck which is a great thought provoking novel and is a tiny book with so much meaning. The Pearl by John Steinbeck

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh the luxury of having the time to read a book in one day. I have only ever managed to do this on holiday, or on my way to a holiday, i.e. sitting around in the departure lounge, sitting on the plane.

I know I have in the past read a book in a day but it was so long ago I can’t remember what the book was, but I have a feeling it would have been a Jackie Collins or a Marian Keyes (guilty pleasure), hidden behind a magazine.

I have read books that have kept me up all night - Harry Potter series anyone!

message 3: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) I'm not a particularly quick reader and I tend to read long epic fantasy novels (800-900 pages), so I haven't many books that I've finished in one day.

Only one I can think of off-hand is Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. Bit of a random one, but it just sucked me in (pardon the pun), when I was on Honeymoon last year and I was sick one of the days.

Came close with the Harry Potter series too Sam...don't know if I finished any in a day, but I came close.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've only ever read three books in one day. The Pearl By John Steinbeck, which is only a novella, The Lord of
The Flies by William Golding, which isn't much longer and The Subtle Knife By Philip Pullman which I couldn't put down. It was the second book in the Northern Lights trilogy. If you've never read any I recommend them. They appealed to fantasy, sci-fi, and young adult fans, and more besides.

message 5: by Katie (last edited Mar 08, 2011 02:03PM) (new)

Katie Mcsweeney (applekoko19) Books I have read in one day... too many to remember! Most recently The Road ummm....The Characters of Love (avoiding exam study) and Girlfriend in a Coma sped through it to find out what happened.Lost Souls, is an awful book but thankfully is quickly over. I must say I tend to forget the ones I read quickly, all of the better books I have read I make myself slow down and savour. Oh wait I almost forgot I Am Legend!

message 6: by Amber (last edited Mar 16, 2011 12:11PM) (new)

Amber (bambles) | 10 comments Unfortunately don't have the pleasure to have enough time to sit down and read a book from cover to cover in a day that often. :(

One that I did manage to read in a day recently was Amsterdam by Ian McEwan. While it wouldn't be my favourite McEwan novel and is nowhere near as good as 'Atonement' (For those of you who know his writing:D) it still intrigued me and I read it in two sittings.

message 7: by cliodhna (new)

cliodhna (anactoria) 'by the river piedra i sat down and wept' - paulo cohelo...i read that in a few hours in botanic and i think it maybe changed my life!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I realised I've read some Ross O'Carrol-Kelly books in one day, by the pool on hols. They're laugh-out-loud if you haven't read them.

message 9: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (irishhousewife) I read pretty fast so I'd say about 40% of the books I have read were done in less than a day. I'm really bad about speed reading and retaining the little details so I have forced myself to slow down as of late. Although if I;m really sucked in, it'll be done quick! I read a couple of the Harry Potter books in one day. (the 2nd and 3rd) Off the top of my head... Jane Bites Back, All 3 Chicagoland Vampire books by Chloe Neill, Kailin Gow's Frost Series, and Rachel Caine's My Soul Series were each read in less than a day.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (bambles) | 10 comments Vicki wrote: "I have atonement on my to read list but I keep putting it off, might give it a go soon"

You really should, i think Ian McEwan is an amazing author, and Atonement is his masterpiece. It might be because im studying the hidden meanings and subtleties of it in school and am biased, but id really recommend it :)

message 11: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 1 comments Nothing like devouring a book on a lazy day off: victims inlcude Catcher in The Rye, The Great Gatsby, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Pulled an all nighter on Jack Kerouac's On the Road aswell, I just couldnt put it down.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments I need to buy The Road... everyone is recommending it.

message 13: by aprilla (last edited Mar 28, 2011 03:30PM) (new)

aprilla I listened to The Road last year and I loved it. I still remember not wanting to stop listening for anything!
I enjoy a lot of books and fly through them but after the fact the ones that stand out are The Road, The Help and Room. Others I sped through more out of in-the-moment suspense which is good but they aren't as memorable later.

message 14: by Adam (new)

Adam (adaml) Atonement and The road are two of the best book's of last five year's. Couldn't put them down! The road led me to all of Margaret Atwood's dystopian novel's. The Catcher in the rye is amazing. Too many to list!!!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments I read The catcher in the rye for leaving cert...I hated it!!! Which didn't impress my English teacher at the the time but I actually couldn't stand the main character Holden Caulfield grrrr... ha ha

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved CITR. I never made my mind up about Holden, but I never lost interest in him.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Ooh My god Declan I remember thinking it was the worst book ever. I just wished he would grow up or cop on had no time his character just moaned for a whole book and I know it was the point as he was depressed but god I was depressed having to read it for leaving cert, I think it was banned in the states for good reason ha ha

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 02, 2011 07:04PM) (new)

I think it's one of those books that has suffers from gender bias. I remember my class at school was advised to read Emma for the junior cert. I read the first line 'It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.' Straight away I thought 'this is for someone else,' and it was conveniently lost.

As for him whining. He was supposed to be a pathetic figure. You get more insight by the end, but he's an emotional mess, and he just makes things worse for himself.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Ah Declan I know it was the purpose of the book and his character to be pathetic and I suppose it worked ha ha because thats what I thought. But I read it along time ago nearly 13 yrs ( god Im getting old) so maybe if I read it again I would have a different perspective, but I doubt it.
Emma sounds like a good book though the opening line is very honest ha ha

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe it needs to be updated for a more modern audience. The opening line could be 'It is a truth universally acknowledged that any man in possession of a fortune should get a prenuptial agreement.'

Yeah. That's a book I could read.

message 21: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments Sarah wrote: "Ooh My god Declan I remember thinking it was the worst book ever. I just wished he would grow up or cop on had no time his character just moaned for a whole book and I know it was the point as he w..."

message 22: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments Sarah, I lived in the US for 10 years, books aren't really banned there. They are accessible in stores, and there is amazon, and the internet. Some European books are not printed there and thus cannot be distributed, but some American books are not printed or distributed here either. American Gods was not "banned". It was criticized like Harry Potter was... and yet HP has been a historical best seller in the US. I dont want to read it... because...its just not my cup of tea. Back to Ulysses.

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark Burns (TheFailedPhilosopher) | 10 comments The Liar ~ Stephen Fry
Matilda (years ago)
Debt of Bones
The outsider
The Myth of Sisyphus
The Trial
Nausea

message 24: by MyBookAffair (new)

MyBookAffair (my_book_affair) | 2 comments Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte - couldn't put it down... went all night with that one.
Lies of Silence, by Brian Moore... a good page turner, compact and easy to read.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

As of yesterday I can add Douglas Adams' So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish. I've been reading the series and I'm loving it.

message 26: by Roberta (new)

Roberta "The Da Vinci Code" one day (and one night) on holidays, and "L'accabadora" one day, on holidays again, are the only two I can remember of now.

message 27: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) Same here Roberta, I forgot about The Da Vinci Code. Despite all the criticism it got, I thought it was a real page turner. One of the few books I can say I didn't put down until it was finished

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Caffrey | 45 comments Mae wrote: "Sarah, I lived in the US for 10 years, books aren't really banned there. They are accessible in stores, and there is amazon, and the internet. Some European books are not printed there and thus c..."

Hey Mae We were told in school it was banned in the US but I dont pay too much attention to that I was just been sarcastic with Declan about How bad i thought the book was LOL. As you said read it if its what ur interested in and leave it if your not, I would of left it if i had a choice ha ha

message 29: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) I have to admit that nearly every book I enjoy I read in one sitting. I'm an incredibly fast reader -.-

message 30: by Mae (new)

Mae (goodreadscommae) | 43 comments I was told the same thing-- the great things teachers teach! If I told you what they say about Ireland in America!!! Books are claimed to be banned-- there is a seriously vicious right wing evangelical group of americans, but fortunately there are others also very proud of their freedom of speech rights-- some amazing protectors of it. I understand your dislike of the book, there is a lot you only understand if you are an american. I loved it, because it was the first book I read, with the word "fuck" in it! But I would not read it again.

s e n t i m e n t a l i t i e s olittlebear (olittlebear) Who was L'accabadora by ? The title has me intrigued!