The Sword and Laser discussion

George R.R. Martin Threads > A Dance with Dragons - RELEASE DATE!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Yes - a date at last for A Dance with Dragons

July 12th - Nice timing for my holiday read :)

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/03/03/d...

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Minutillo (wolfbyte) Awesome news. Can finally see the other (read Good) side of the story.

message 4: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Mccoy (jeremiahtechnoirmccoy) | 80 comments YAAAAAAYY!

George RR Martin is not our bitch, however, he may be our drug.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Confirmation that UK gets same publication date

http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/En...

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments [cynic]Hmm, it's almost like the release is timed to tie in with the HBO finale.[/cynic]

Am I the only person who feels completely apathetic about this and will hold off until Martin actually finishes the series?

message 7: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments You, him and probably the rest of us will be dead by then. His books are so good that I for one am happy to have read them. I would of course prefer to see him finish the series.

I am a pretty cynical person myself but I doubt it is for that reason - it is not likely that most people who watch the series will rush out and buy the last book - they would most likely go and buy the earlier ones. The rest of us would buy it regardless of the HBO series

message 8: by Alotor (new)

Alotor | 18 comments Four books to re-read and four months until the release date.

Umm, I think I'm going to skip some picks :S

message 9: by Tom (new)

Tom Hansen (scarhoof) So Excited!

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan (professoralan) Now that Duke Nukem is out, THIS is our current VaporWare ..... I'll believe it when I see it.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Alotor wrote: "Four books to re-read and four months until the release date.

Umm, I think I'm going to skip some picks :S"

I was thinking of rereading but I have so much new stuff (to me) to read and so much older stuff I wanted to re-read as well. I only read for short period each day so dont think I have enough time

message 12: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4132 comments Yeah, this seriously alters my reading plans. I think it will go like this:
finish Shadow & Claw
read The Wise Man's Fear
re-read A Game of Thrones
re-read A Clash of Kings
re-read A Storm of Swords
re-read A Feast for Crows

I *may* read Sword & Citadel before going to The Wise Man's Fear, but that is TBD, depending on how I do with what I have left of Shadow & Claw. For the Rothfuss books and the ASOIAF re-read, I plan on, if possible, listening and having Kindle versions, to maximize my reading time. I already have all 4 ASOIAF books from Audible, but the question will be if The Wise Man's Fear will be available on Audible when I am ready to read it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Alan wrote: "Now that Duke Nukem is out, THIS is our current VaporWare ..... "

Or it's the second sign of the Apocalypse.

message 14: by aldenoneil (last edited Mar 03, 2011 10:23AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I still have A Feast for Crows waiting on the shelf. Now, do I read it right away in preparation for A Dance with Dragons, then hold off on A Dance with Dragons until the next next book is finished, do I read them both and wait, or do I wait for the man to finish the whole series and do it all in one go?

I can't live like this.

message 15: by Alotor (new)

Alotor | 18 comments Paul wrote: "I was thinking of rereading but I have so much new stuff (to me) to read..."

Anyway, we have like 6 more years for the 6th book to be finished so you have plenty of time to reread.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2844 comments Call me Thomas. I'm not even going to read the books until I've seen the whites of the last ones eyes. (Except #1 which I read with you people).

message 17: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments The thing that gets me is, he's not even done with the book -- his publisher announced a date and expects him to meet it. The thing is, if you know anything about dead-tree publishing, getting the book in stores by July when there isn't even a finished manuscript in March is insane -- it normally takes a year or more for a book to go through editing, proofreading, layout, marketing, etc.

message 18: by Jlawrence, S&L Moderator (new)

Jlawrence | 960 comments Mod
Hmm, maybe he means he's just not through with the final edits/proofreading of the manuscript?

In any case, I'd been putting off reading A Feast for Crows until such an annoucement, so I'll read it after I finish New Sun and Wise Man's Fear.

message 19: by Colin (new)

Colin | 278 comments Paul wrote: "Yes - a date at last for A Dance with Dragons

And there was much rejoicing.

message 20: by Curt (new)

Curt Taylor (meegeek) | 107 comments Very nice, I just finished Feast last month. As usual my timing is impeccable.

message 21: by Djangelic (new)

Djangelic | 9 comments Curt wrote: "Very nice, I just finished Feast last month. As usual my timing is impeccable."

Lol same here Curt. I am very excited! :)

message 22: by Keith (new)

Keith Kelly (nedkelly) | 79 comments Woohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

message 23: by Osvaldo (new)

Osvaldo Ortega (oortega) Is this the last book??? I gave up on it years ago because when one book would come out, I forgot the others and wiking them was no help. So when it is all done and published Ill reread the whooole thing.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Osvaldo wrote: "Is this the last book??? I gave up on it years ago because when one book would come out, I forgot the others and wiking them was no help. So when it is all done and published Ill reread the whooole..."

No I think there is going to be seven books in the series.

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6188 comments Sean wrote: "The thing that gets me is, he's not even done with the book -- his publisher announced a date and expects him to meet it. The thing is, if you know anything about dead-tree publishing, getting the ..."

Maybe it'll go directly from ms word to ebook. :)

message 26: by Rob (new)

Rob Unger | 16 comments So can I start asking when the next book after A Dance with Dragons will come out? Too soon?

message 27: by John (new)

John Cole | 5 comments Woot !! Can't wait for this. I recently re-read the first two books to freshen my memory of them in anticipation of the HBO mini-series. Guess I'll try to re-read the rest before this one comes out.

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Rob wrote: "So can I start asking when the next book after A Dance with Dragons will come out? Too soon?"

To be honest - it shouldn't be as long a wait as it was for dragons as dragons and the next book were actually just supposed to be one book and therefore a lot of the next book is already written. But this is GRRM - god knows how long "not long" is!

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Uhm.

It was actually A Feast for Crows that got split, with the supposed second half being A Dance with Dragons.

Only that didn't work out so well...

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Ok - cheers. Pretty sure I remember a post somewhere that said the next book was well on its way - but I guess it will certainly be a long enough wait no matter what.

message 31: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (frontline) | 129 comments I really hope he is making good notes. He has 2 (or maybe 3, according to some sources) books left to go. If something happens to him before it's done, I'll stroke out. These books grabbed me like nothing else I've ever read. I need an ending. Not demanding, just respectfully begging like a child.

message 32: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (cbb4autigers) | 96 comments Tamahome wrote: "Sean wrote: "The thing that gets me is, he's not even done with the book -- his publisher announced a date and expects him to meet it. The thing is, if you know anything about dead-tree publishing,..."

Totally True and funny!!

message 33: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (cbb4autigers) | 96 comments says modern sf/f greatest deadline breaker!!!

When I see it on my doorstep, I will believe it!!!

message 34: by Chilimac (new)

Chilimac | 28 comments OK, no time for a reread. Anyone have a suggestion fora way to refresh my memory? Looking for a good synopsis of what's happened and where everything stands.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

http://towerofthehand.com/

They've got plenty of info to refresh your memory.

message 36: by Matt (new)

Matt (scifi451) | 18 comments I have also been thinking on how best to refresh my memory before the next book. Even though I just read them for the first a few months ago, there is still so many details to remember that I have already forgotten some of it.

Would love to see a a good article on what you need to know or helpful to remember as we go into Dragons.

message 37: by Alex (new)

Alex | 36 comments The ToweroftheHand.com chapter summaries are a pretty good primer for diving back in.

message 38: by Andrew (last edited Jun 13, 2011 05:07PM) (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments @Ala & Alex. Thanks for the TowerOfHand link, I'll need to check it out. I too need a refresher as it was some time ago that I finished the last book.

My partner is reading the series ATM, but unfortunately she is only on Book 2 so I can't quiz her for an update.

As an aside she has been getting so worked up by Joffery (both in the book & TV series) that she sent me this link this morning; Tyrion Slaps Joffrey For 10 Minutes To Achilles Last Stand