Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > I can't part with books...

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maria (new)

Maria My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether I read them or not. And I can't figure out why. It's not a rational attachment - it's more emotional.

Does anyone else share this feeling? If so, why?

message 2: by Wolfjack (new)

Wolfjack | 4 comments It's not just you, believe me. In my entire life, I gave up 1 book that I had, and it was only because it was a children's book that I'd definitely outgrown. That went to a young cousin.

I don't know that someone can easily explain the attachment. I still have some books in my library that I didn't even necessarily enjoy, but may return to one day to re-read. Shrug.

A lot of people have attachments to their enjoyments, whether it's books, spoon collecting, or hiking. I think as long as you don't have a medical problem like the shakes or dry heaves when you think about getting rid of a book, it's probably not an unhealthy thing. : )

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Maria wrote: "My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether I read them or not. And I can'..."

My husband and I have a struggle with this too. I try to only keep the ones I will read again. We need a new book case. Do you keep some of yours in boxes too? I did manage to donate two to Good Will!

message 4: by Johanness (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:12AM) (new)

Johanness (cookiesandcute) | 23 comments Get RID of books!? What in lucifers name for!!!!! O.o
If someone goes near my books with bad intentions they're SO band from going near my books ever!// I'd probably murder them...

So no, I refuse to get rid of my books, I shall lug them with me, when I got to other countries for a visit that exceeds 2-4 months.

I just don't see why, you've spent money on buying them not to mention hunting them down and you bond with your books! You get to know the characters in them/ felt what they've suffered and get to know what their life/world is like! re-reading can make you so attached to a book it's not funny.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Cooley Getting rid of books is the hardest thing to do. After university I lived with a couple, who decided quite suddenly to go and live with his Mum to save money, I had to move from a three bedroom house into a bedsit, I had no deposit. I had no problems selling my furiture, clothes but when it came to my books, I actually cried! It's the sadest thing and every time I go to lend someone a book, or want to read one again that I had to sell I feel terrible.
I can say now however, I have my own place and have rebuilt most of my collection, I'm not moving without them!!

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
Oh yes, it is very difficult for me to get rid of or even lend any of my books. I even have a problem selling any duplicates I might somehow end up with! My family keeps asking where else can I put my books and I tell them if i have to I'll just sell my living room furniture to make more space, I can alway sit on the floor. :-)

message 7: by Maria (new)

Maria @ Lady OT Lavender: I am fortunate enough that my apartment has pre-installed shelving covering a whole wall in the living/dining room area. (I think it was probably meant for dishes..) But my books dominate that space!

@ Everyone else, thanks for your comments! I feel better knowing I'm not alone.

I did manage to put two books in a bag to take to a used book store: my extra copies of Crime and Punishment and Tender is the Night. Here's to progress! :-P

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Lady OT Lavender wrote: "Maria wrote: "My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether I read them or n..."

I probably should have selected "reply" for my last response? I'm still getting the hang of this :)

message 9: by Teri (new)

Teri (teri3618) | 1 comments Maria wrote: "My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether I read them or not. And I can'..."

My name is Teri and I feel the same way. I would be lost without my books. My husband bought me an ereader because I have about 1000 books and no more room to put them, especially since I only have hardcovers. I promised I would sell a few and I did, but I won't part with anymore. It's a good thing that I get the mail before my husband does because I
get books in the mail. I order alot for my reader too.
I currently have 450 on my reader. I know how you feel it's definatley a comfort zone for me.

message 10: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (irrakatze) | 3 comments I lend books to people all the time because I think that books need to be shared and loved but the next time I'm at a book store (which is usually a couple days) and I find another copy, I buy it. I just assume I'm not going to get it back so I replace it right away. My addiction centers around hardcovers though so I never lend out hard cover coppies. Usually when I replace a book I've lent out, I replace it with a hard cover version.

I have dozens of books that I've started or finished reading and decided I hated and will never read a gain, but I'd never be able to sell them, maybe give them to a friend who might enjoy them.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (madamefifi) I work in a hospital and on the 8th floor there is a very nice waiting room with bookshelves. Every once in a while I'll pack up a bagfull of books I didn't like/plan never to read again and rehome them there. Also, one of the nurses I work with does volunteer work at a prison and I sometimes give her books for the prison library.

I've left the occassional book(s) at a beach rental house or on a cruise ship.

message 12: by lexa (new)

lexa (storyorc) I always feel bad about throwing out books because sometimes I'm in the mood for a certain book and I'd hate to have gotten rid of it. Textbooks, too. I feel like I'm loosing the year's knowledge, which is probably true since I forget it within the month.

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
I've kept all the textbooks I got in college, too. I even have textbooks that I got from friends who didn't want them anymore but couldn't sell them. You never know when the information in those books might come in handy.

message 14: by Leslie (last edited Mar 04, 2011 09:59PM) (new)

Leslie (catch22) | 2 comments Maria wrote: "My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether I read them or not. And I can'..."

Hi Maria,
I also love buying books and have a hard time parting with them. I love sitting in a room surrounded by my bookshelves. If I need some privacy, or I need to relax, I immediately go into my "library". Some people own an animal and find that their blood pressure drops when they pet their animal--research has shown that this happens because people are thinking about something other than themselves. I feel "touched" emotionally by each of my books and I love being surrounded by the memory of all those feelings and thoughts. I buy and keep books for this reason. I also just love to exercise my mind with an author that I find thought provoking. On the other hand, sometimes I just feel like immersing myself in a great story. I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction and love being surrounded by all of the thoughts and feelings that I have shared with various authors.

message 15: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 15 comments Maria wrote: "My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether I read them or not. And I can'..."

Hi Maria, I have the same passion, I dont think it is a problem :) I love my books, they are like my children. I know every one of them, and like to hold them, smell them, read them, and just get lost in their world. Books are my friends. I can not and will not part with them. So, enjoy your addiction:) love, vicky

message 16: by Kris (new)

Kris | 2 comments Ever since I was a kid I have adored books and compulsively purchased them. Granted I'm a bit fussier about what I buy now, but I still do it. I blame it on my father. When I was little he always had a book by his chair and when he was home every evening he would sit and read. I grew up surrounded by books (of course most of them were gun books and old west history books), my mom still gets mad at him for all the books he still keeps buying.
As far as getting rid of them??? Are you insane?! I can't remember the last time I ever parted with a book, I have loaned them to my mom and close friends a time or two though.

message 17: by McKenzie (new)

McKenzie | 45 comments Sometimes I too have a hard time parting with books, even if I didn't like the very much or won't read them. I dunno why. It's not really a sentimental thing. But I've been really good at breaking my pack-rat tendencies lately. But I know where you are coming from.

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura Yes! I dunno why it's so hard to get rid of books but I'm in the same boat.

I have to REALLY dislike a book before I'll throw it away/resell.

There has been the odd book here and there that I've ended up giving away or reselling but that was easy because I hadn't read the books and they were just going to be thrown out otherwise.

The books I've personally bought it's a different thought bubble all together :/

message 19: by Nyla (new)

Nyla (nilly21) | 24 comments I have to admit, I have a terrible time letting go of books. Esp books that are from my childhood! I now have a (soon-to-be) 2 year old son who I've decided will get all my childhood books.

I just remember how much I enjoyed all those books when I was a kid, and want him to enjoy them also.

Otherwise, I do have a really hard time letting go of my books. It's one of those "I just may read this someday" type of thing. I know when I was younger, I wasnt much of a reader, but for some reason, I had a TON of books. Going through my parents house makes me realize how many book I USED to have scattered all over the place. I believe I get this from my mom. She has books in boxes, bags, on the tables...everywhere!

I've always had a "thing" with books, even if I never really like reading, which I LOVE to do now :)

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jsills3) | 54 comments There are definitely some books I cherish that I will never part with. But sometimes I buy books that, while I enjoyed them, I did not love them. I donate them to different places or give them to someone I know will like them.

message 21: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Oh yeah I have a big problem getting rid of them, but if I loan them out and they never return, sometimes that's ok. Only if I didn't love them that much in the first place. And if I read it and I hated it, which is rare but happens, I take pleasure in selling it and buying something better, like I don't want the book I hated tainting my collection!

message 22: by Abi (new)

Abi (abi_b) I'm exactly the same way. My parents moved house recently, and I told them that they could get rid of any stuff in my room they thought was no longer needed as long as they kept ALL of my books. I think it is partly the thought that one day I will want to re-read something and it might not be there, but also I think it's because I like looking at overflowing bookshelves, and would feel a bit lost if they were empty!

message 23: by April (new)

April | 1 comments Maria wrote: "My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether I read them or not. And I can'..."

Hey Maria,
I have your same problem, but have you ever tried have a sale of books in your front yard?? It gets old books to a good home. (and gives you money to buy more!)

message 24: by Arminius (new)

Arminius I never get rid of books. They are a treasure to be saved for my children and their children.

message 25: by Krista (new)

Krista  | 26 comments Yea i cant give any of my books away! I dunno its to hard to part with them lol

message 26: by Ashton (new)

Ashton Willson Hello i have a hard time getting rid of my books as well as my Teddy Bears. My parents wants me to thin out but i cant, its defiantly emotional. Books and Teddy bears are my main interests so why should i give that up because somebody doesn't understand!!

message 27: by Maria (new)

Maria Adriana wrote: "Maria wrote: "My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether I read them or n..."

Good suggestion! I'm in an apartment complex right now, which makes that kind of difficult. But I'm currently moving to a new apartment, which has forced me to take inventory :-P I'm thinking of putting some up online to sell. That makes me think they'll only go to people who want them, you know?

message 28: by Maria (new)

Maria PS, I think another reason it's hard for me is because I underline in my books, which makes me feel like they have even MORE of myself within their pages. Does anyone else do this?

It's making it difficult to pack up and move, though, especially since I'm leaving behind my built-in shelving in the walls :( I have to go shopping this weekend for new bookcases...

message 29: by Arminius (new)

Arminius I don't underline but sometimes I will take notes in a notebook. When I buy used books I like to see what someone else underlined or what they wrote in the margins.

I remember reading that John Adams use to write in the margins.

message 30: by Jack (new)

Jack (echoicglory) | 41 comments I'm not the only one THANK GOD! Alright, everyone argue with me, my brother, my mom, my friends -- like literally everyone in my life. I have a large collection of books I've accumulate since I was really young -- Yes, I still have the story book from when I was five as well >.< Anyway, I can't let any of it go -- At all. I think it was harder for me to chuck out my school text books, I mean, I depended on that throughout my school days and then -- It was GONE... Yes, the only way to get rid of any of my books is to secretly chuck them out. I'll sulk for days and hold a grudge forever... But, not like my family cares about the grudge LOL...

And no, I don't doodle in my books either. I don't fold the corners, I don't leave it around opened on my bed to ruin its spine. I have proper bookmarks, I close the book and put it aside when I'm done... And I have a notebook for scribbling etc... I'm ill... Seriously terminal hahah...

message 31: by Jennifer C (new)

Jennifer C I guess I am the odd ball in this group. :) I have all the books my favorite author has written but if I know I am not going to re-read a book, then I will put it on Paperbackswap.com. I will say, this thought process has bitten me in the behind though because I recently wanted to re-read the first books in a series before the newest one came out and I realized that I had already swapped it out. :(

I was trying to be good and make space in the house but I have found I actually miss some of my books that I gave away. Now I am not so quick to post books on there and may start taking some off....

message 32: by Miss Asima (new)

Miss Asima (missasima) | 21 comments My books are a part of me. Every single one of them whether I enjoyed it or not. There's no way I could part with them. I still have books from when I was little even. Maybe one day I'll be able to happily pass on my massive collection to my son. Whoever ends up with it will have received the best part of me there is to give. :-D

message 33: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 63 comments Maria wrote: "Adriana wrote: "Maria wrote: "My name is Maria, and not only do I have an addiction to buying books, I also have a serious problem getting rid of them. I literally cannot get rid of books, whether ..."

Put them on bookswap on here! Then you'll know they'll be safe and sound with avid readers.

message 34: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 63 comments I am SO glad I'm not the only one with this issue! I loaned some books to my mother in law and I'm starting to regret it! Cause I KNOW she's read most of them and she's still not offering to give them back to me. And when I handed her the bag I looked her straight in the eyes and said, "I want ALL of these back. In the condition you got them in." She said okay not a problem. But it's been weeks and I still haven't seen them! Should I ask her for them back? I'm worried she loaned them to her sister and I'll never see them again! Oh how horrible! I'm going to get an ulcer!