Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Let's Chat > Re-reads?

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Do any of you ever re-read your books ? If so, how often?

I rarely re-read anything, if at all. But I'm thinking that's about to change. There are few books that I've read that I super skimmed my way through, and feel may have cheated myself out of a good story. As if I don't have enough to read already.....

message 2: by Sandra J (last edited Mar 02, 2011 05:04AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments I usually reread at least three or four books a month. I've started "rereading" some of them on audio in the car. When I was teaching, I reread during the week since I had papers and lesson plans to do at home on weeknights and couldn't afford to get sucked into a new story. Those were usually saved for the weekend. Now that I'm retired, I'm able to read more; but I still love revisiting characters and stories that I've enjoyed before. Some of my books I've reread four or five times.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

yes I do.... sometimes it is comforting to me.
I re-read Pride and prejudice
Kiss an Angel
Honor's Splendour
Those are my favorites but I will re-read a few of the IAD books when I get time..... there are so many books and so little time... plus I am a SLOW reader. I must have ADD and be dyslexic. I get distracted unless the book is REALLY good.

message 4: by Gigi, Moderator (new)

Gigi | 833 comments I have in the past very rarely though. My re-reads are usually stories that I loved and wanted to experience again. My list is a short one:
A Kingdom of Dreams - 4x's
Until You- 3x's
Once and Always- 4x's
Years- 2x'
Duncan's Bride- 7x's I think I'm overdue for a re-read of this one actually.

What books were you thinking about re-reading?

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I was actually of thinking of re-reading The Secret by Julie Garwood because when I started reading Ransom, I felt like I couldn't remember the hero's role in The Secret. I was also thinking of re-reading Kushiel's Dart because it took me so long to get in to the story, that I got frustrated and skimmed the last 1/3 of the book. I also want to reread Touch the Dark; I feel like I can't continue with the rest of the Cassandra Palmer series until I do. *Sigh*

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments The Counte of Monte Cristo, and The Alchemist are favorites of mine that I'm certain I'll re-read at some point. I just want to see if I have the same appreciation for them now that I did when I first read them over 10 years ago.

message 7: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments Rereads really help you pick up the little details that you don't remember from the first reading. That can make the next book in a series that much better.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Sandra J wrote: "Rereads really help you pick up the little details that you don't remember from the first reading. That can make the next book in a series that much better."

That's what I'm hoping for. For some of the books that I listed, I just don't feel like I've gotten as much as I could out of the story, due to my own impatience etc.

message 9: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I've re-read some of my romances, because I did most of my glomming of them 10 years ago, and I wanted to read a few of the more memorable ones again.
Other books though, definitely. I have a few boxes of keeper books and I've re-read most of them a lot of times :)

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Mar 02, 2011 11:48AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I find I re-read more and more. I even have a bookshelf at GR that I call my ‘re-read for comfort' shelf of books that have to be read more than twice to be placed there. And I mean comfort in many ways. Sometimes a new book, after crossing one of my romance ‘don’ts’, will actually leave me with a bitter aftertaste and I will reach for a book with characters I can depend on to give me what I want. I am definitely a mood reader, so some people might be surprised by what is on there. In truth, some have broken my ‘romance books don’ts’, but the authors have done it so well I have to read it again.

Yes, I definitely notice more details and character nuance each time I re-read a book. I also notice the writer’s style and enjoy it more. Sometimes I just gobbled down a book too fast and need to re-read it. Other times I need something I can re-read fast because I have other things on my mind and it’s light and breezy and doesn’t require much concentration. In other situations I want total escapism. I did this recently when I stayed at the hospital all day while a friend had a unpleasant procedure done.

I have lost track of the number of times I have read these:
Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor (Friday Harbor, #1) by Lisa Kleypas Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3) by Lisa Kleypas Heiress For Hire (Cuttersville, #2) by Erin McCarthy A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole Garters by Pamela Morsi My Fair Mistress A Novel (Mistress Trilogy, #1) by Tracy Anne Warren More Than a Mistress (Dudley, #1) by Mary Balogh Enticing the Earl by Nicole Byrd Widow in Scarlet (Berkley Sensation) by Nicole Byrd It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips First Lady by Susan Elizabeth Phillips Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips A Secret Love (Cynster, #5) by Stephanie Laurens

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments Rereads can be fun, but I don't reread on purpose. Most often I will see a book that I don't remember previously reading because it's been a few years and the book has been recently reprinted with a new cover or it's now part of an anthology of stories. I won't realize that I've already read it until I get it home and start reading and then will recognize something. Now, when I buy books I look at the copyright date to make sure it's not something that I could have possibly read before.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan | 1285 comments I re-read several of my favorite books. As Lisa stated, they are “comfort” books and I enjoy reading them when I’m down, stressed, or if I need a good palate cleanser. I don’t re-read as often as I used to because my TBR shelf has now exploded since joining GoodReads.

Books I tend to re-read the most are:

A Darker Dream (Love Spell Romance) by Amanda Ashley Midnight Embrace by Amanda Ashley The Incurable Matchmaker (Signet Regency Romance) by Mary Balogh Blue Heaven, Black Night by Shannon Drake Lie Down In Roses by Shannon Drake One Night of Scandal (Fairleigh Sisters, #2) by Teresa Medeiros A Whisper of Roses by Teresa Medeiros Once an Angel by Teresa Medeiros Bridge over Time (Harlequin Superromance No. 592) by Brenda Hiatt The Vampire Viscount (Signet Regency Romance) by Karen Harbaugh The Haunting Of Brier Rose (Silhouette Shadows, #17) (Silhouette Shadows) by Patricia Simpson Twilight Memories (Wings in the Night, #2) (Silhouette Shadows #30) by Maggie Shayne Twilight Illusions (Wings in the Night, #3) (Silhouette Shadows #47) by Maggie Shayne

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I'm re-reading by listening to the audiobooks of the Patricia Briggs' werewolf series. Then I'm going to listen to the Sookie Stackhouse series that I've already read.

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Carolyn F., I just started listening to audio books I've read before. It is pretty nice.

message 15: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments I pick up things that I didn't really notice before, I really love doing that. I've done it with the Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon series too.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Wooooo, I listened to the first few in that series years ago. They were great.
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon

message 17: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments Davina Porter is such a great narrator.

message 18: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Is she still doing them?

message 19: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments OMG, I just checked at audio.com - she narrates a lot! Wonderful.

message 20: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 369 comments She did them all the way to Echo. She also does some of the Anne Perry books too.

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments My goodness, I haven't read a Charlotte & Thomas Pitt mystery in ages. Maybe I listen to one. Cool. Thanks!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Mar 04, 2011 09:33PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Okay, I'm a weak person when it comes to books. I just can't help it. And that there internet thingy makes it too darn easy to just click the button. I wanted to re-read some of my favorites and knew I had lent them out years ago. Sooooooooooo, I jumped on Amazon and ordered them. Then, while I was at it I ordered a few I've been wanting to buy. Ahhhhhhhh! I'm hopeless.

Re-reads I ordered: Daniel's Bride by Linda Lael Miller Caroline and the Raider (Orphan Train, #3) by Linda Lael Miller Garters by Pamela Morsi
Yes, I love a good western or a sweet Americana. Or maybe I'm just melancholy tonight.

In addition I bought: The Perfect Wife (Harlequin Historical, No. 614) by Mary Burton Bluebonnet Bride (Harlequin Historical Series, #586) by Jillian Hart The Promise of Jenny Jones by Maggie Osborne

Yes, there's a theme going on here. Except that last one; I've heard Jenny is pretty fiesty.

I'm never loaning another book. ;-o

message 23: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) i rarely reread anymore though i used to long time ago. now I'm of the mind tehre is way too much out there I've never read to go back and reread something.

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm going to start the discussion up again and ask:
Do any of you re-read a book right after you finished it? Or even go back and re-read large sections of it? Like, your favorite parts?

message 25: by Mary23nm (new)

Mary23nm | 12 comments I have reread parts of a book that I really enjoyed, in the past, but haven't come across a book lately that has inspired me to do it. I find it very easy to do with a printed book, but frustrating on a kindle book. Many of the kindle books I have read don't even have page numbers or locations to go back to and sometimes don't even have the ability to go back to individual chapters.

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ah. Good point, Mary.

message 27: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments Yes I have done that with some books, not %100 of the book but big chunks of it. I like to read my favorite parts or most of the book right after (this happens for 1 in 40 50 books), specially if there is groveling or a cute meet.
Also if the book is a mystery or I'm going to start the next book right away I go back and read the important parts or the mysterious parts. This happens more often.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Interesting that you do it more with mysteries, ShoSho. I do it a lot with romances. Sometimes I get a little crazy doing it. It worried me, how crazy I can get.

I recently re-read Dragon Bound. Then re-read it about a month later... only to start listening to it right after I had finished re-reading. Nuts! But, I absolutely love that book.

Just to prove I was sane, I refrained from re-reading it again, but went on to the other novellas in the story that featured those characters. Ha!

Denial is a river in Egypt.

message 29: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments LOL it seems you are obsessed with Dragos!

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Vero ("True" in Italian.) You called that one right, ShoSho. **sigh**