Start by marking “First Lady (Wynette, Texas, #3)” as Want to Read:
First Lady (Wynette, Texas, #3)

First Lady

(Wynette, Texas #3)

The beautiful young widow of the President of the United States thought she was free of the White House, but circumstances have forced her back into the role of the First Lady. Not for long, however, because she's made up her mind to escape -- if only for a few days -- so she can live the life of an ordinary person. All she needs is the perfect disguise...and she's just fo ...more
Published February 8th 2000 by Avon (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about First Lady, please sign up.
Pallavi Chitrapu No, cheating is too strong a word. hiding information is more apt.

Ana O
 photo photovisi-download1_zpsrdeuwqav.jpg

SPOILERS, tread carefully.

Now this is the story all about how,
Cornelia Case's life got flipped, turned upside down,
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there,
I'll tell you how she became the president of a country called USA.

I'm not as good of a rapper as Will Smith, but you get the general idea. I want to kick myself for not reading this book sooner. Why was I so convinced I wouldn't like it? Hillary Clinton and Henry Cavill are in this book! Well, not exactly. The main characters k
♥Sharon♥
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
“A perfect rose for a perfect Lady.”

photo 4dc8fc85-483c-4932-a32c-a3d9e2b62877_zpsfoy6xxzt.jpg

Gosh, I really, really loved this book. First Lady just might be my favorite of this series thus far. This isn’t what I would call a traditional series. There isn’t a connection from book to book. Though one would think so when you see #1, #2, #3 etc. So if you are thinking of giving this author a try, all these books can be read as standalones and read in any order.

It never takes long for SEP to draw me into her stories. There is no delay in making a conn
Karen
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 STARS

I don’t know how she does it. But she does. I know I sound like a broken record… but, I LOVED IT! This book had a bit of a different storyline. At first, I have to admit, I was skeptical that even SEP could create a feasible romance out of a grief-stricken First Lady, but as the story unfolded, I was just captivated by these endearing characters. Each and every one capturing my heart with their quirky personalities, and the heart wrenching situations that followed them through life.

Cornel
Mo
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I am going to sound like Karen and Sharon now - a broken record by saying how much I love this author and these books.

Mat Jorik. You hunk of Slovak manhood. No bloody Slovak hunks working in the building I work in even though the Slovakian translation division is working there.

This was a re-read and as I was reading, it all came back to me. I adored it. This author is so good, her wit, humour, love shines through on the pages of her books. She is somebody I would love to meet in real life.

"
Secondary Character Ratings ~ 5 Stars
Romance Rating ~ 5 Stars
Heat Level ~ 2.75 Stars
Ending ~ 5 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 10 STARS! Because I can and because it deserves it!

Why oh why did I wait so long to give a SEP book a try? I’ve had friends ragging on me for YEARS to read one. As a matter of fact, I never even read a review for one of her books until I read Sharon’s and Karen’s, which both reviews were for this book. So I though
Yolanda
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pero cómo he tardado tanto en leerme este libro? Con lo fan que soy de la SEP.
MARAVILLOSO de principio a fin. He disfrutado lo que no está escrito con la historia. Cornelia y Mat me han dado unos rato fantásticos y las niñas....
Me he emocionado al final. Me ha encantado.
Disfruto muchísimo con sus libros. Adoro a la SEP, no lo puedo remediar.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
*excitement excitement* new (for me) SEP book!

But wait… something’s happening – wait! What the hell are you doing? Kids?? Gah! Get them off my precious book! GET THEM OOOOOOOFF!!!!! *jumps out of the window*

*after one week in the hospital*

*cough* I’m ok, just minor injuries.

What the hell??? Why the kids my dear SEP? Why did you ruin the book??? Whyyyyyy????

In case you’re new to my awesome reviewing you must know one simple and important thing about me:

Go ahead. Ask me why!

Wh-

Why??? You dare ask
Fátima
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Otro libro de SEP que cierro con una sonrisa en la cara, adoro a esta mujer y su forma de contar historias!!!!
Me cautivó mucho el personaje de Lucy, esa adulta en cuerpo de niña que la vida la hace ser una gran luchadora ;)
Amber
SEP for President!

Susan Elizabeth Phillips can do no wrong. Another fabulous book by a phenomenal writer.

First Lady is the story of widowed First Lady Nealy Litchfield Case and her escape from DC to go on an unaccompanied tour of the USA. As the daughter of the former Vice President, she has always been in the political public eye and wants a taste of a normal life. While on her journey, she meets up with a grumpy journalist and his 2 (possible) children.

Another book full of laughs and heart.
Milica's Bookshelf
Svidela mi se ova zabavna priča o Corneliji Case koja je rizikovala sve da pobegne iz svog uobičajenog života kao Prve dame SAD koji ju je počeo gušiti. U potrazi za avanturom, u svakodnevnom normalnom životu, Cornelia slučajno nailazi na više nego što je očekivala kad se pridruži Matu, zakletom neženji, Lucy, 15-godišnjoj tinejdžerki i bebi Button, na putu do bake devojčica.
★★★★
I love, love, love Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck's 1953 movie Roman Holiday. So imagine my very pleasant surprise when I began to realize that First Lady is nothing short of a modern day, grown up, retelling of one of my favorite films. Sigh...

description

The widowed first lady of the United States White House desperately needs a respite from her role. She just needs a bit of ordinary for a while - her duty to America is draining the life out of her. But if she wants a break, she has to make it happen
Jan
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 to 4.5 stars. A lovely story about a fictional widowed First Lady of the USA who is so frustrated by her life that she disguises herself and takes off in secret from some private 'alone time'. The political overtones of the book are a little out of date now, with President Trump in the Whitehouse and a different political landscape these days. But it's easily possible to put all of that aside and just enjoy this book for what it is - a charming and romantic fantasy road trip.

Nealy manages to
Dija
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! Especially those who want a reason to grin like fools.
Recommended to Dija by: Aly ~Thanatos~ - I am forever in your debt. *bows in gratitude*
I want to become Susan Elizabeth Phillips when I grow up some more. She writes the sort of books I really, really wish I had written. Not because they're sheer genius, or the characters are phenomenal, or the plot's epic, or anything extraordinary like that, but simply because they comfort me. They actually matter and make a difference in my opinion of little things like love, happily ever afters, second chances, and the power of fate.

Call me cheesy, but it's true. I read SEP's novels, and they
Антоанета
Не е от най-силните книги, които съм чела на СЕФ. Прекалено нереална ми беше историята и доста монотонно ми вървеше въпреки, че имаха много приключения. Имаше си разбира се остроумните реплики и забавни диалози:
"-Как да го обясня на Луси?
-Кажи й, че си родила през нощта, после си продала бебето на семейство цигани, защото ти напомняло за нея."
Много ми хареса образа на Луси, само той ми беше така свеж и непредвидим.
Andzhelika
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ох, не знам какво да кажа. Току що я привърших и вече ми е мъчно за героите..
Julz
Gamruk
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: güncel
Bu seriyi de cok sevdim. Ilk iki kitabı (yani 0.5 ve 1) sevmeme ragmen alıştığımız Chicago Stars tarzında degillerdi ve bütün bu seri boyle mi olacak demistim. neyseki serinin 2.kitabi Lady Be Good bu serinin yönünü değiştirdi.
3.kitap First Lady ile de kesinlesmis oldu. Sep yine bomba gibi yazmış😂

Efendim Cornelia kısaca Nealy hanımefendimiz Amerikanin first leydisi olurlar. Eşi öldükten sonra bu gorevden ayrilmak istese de babasi ve yeni baskan ona izin vermez. Hayati boyunca bu tarz bir duzen
Valquiria
¡No sabéis lo contenta que estoy de haber leído este libro! Ya solo me queda un libro por leer de SEP (antes de que empiece la relectura de todos su libros porque sí, por que puedo jajaja), y "Primera Dama" ha sido desde el momento en el que empecé a leer a SEP, el libro que menos me atraía de la escritora. ¿Por qué? Bien, el tema de la política, y en especial lo de La Primera Dama de los Estados Unidos pues, digamos, que no me interesaba mucho, hasta me daba pereza empezar el libro siempre. Per ...more
Christel
Feb 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: SEP readers
Really cute story.

Mat worked in LA for a tabloid TV show and he was sick of it. He wanted to get back to newsprint in the worst way. Well a few years ago he met and married a women named Sandi, they soon divorced but she kept his last name. Well lo and behold he finds out that he now has 2 daughters, one 14, Lucy, and the other 6 months, Button. Well Sandi dies in an automobile accident along with Button's true father. But Mat is on the birth certificates as father for both girls.

Cornelia Case,
Twiggy
I read this immediately after finishing the chicago stars series ( which I loved) and was a little disappointed.

The story line involving the first lady was unusual and the interaction between Neally, Lucy and button was nicely written.

Think roman holiday set in an American camper van with a difficult teenager, a vomiting baby and a surly romantic lead, hiding the fact that he is a journalist.

I think my problem was that I did not really believe in the romance between Neally and Jorik. They onl
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was just "too" for me:

Too unrealistic, too sappy, too contrived, too difficult to buy into the story line.

It had its moments but just didn't work for me.
Jacqueline J
The first half of this book was 5 stars. The second half really pulled it down. I loved the way the heroine escaped the White House and went across country with the hero and the 2 girls. I loved the way she let herself be rude and snippy and normal and how she saw herself so clearly and enjoyed doing it. Great stuff. She just wanted to live a normal life so why at the end did she go back and run for senate and eventually the White House? Seemed a bit like a bait and switch. The author basically ...more
Mandy
I really loved this one! I think I say this with every new Susan Elizabeth Phillips book I read but I'm pretty sure this one is my favorite. The things Mat says at the end... <3 I loved him so much! And Nealy - she was the perfect heroine. This is going on my favorites list!
Calpurnia
Mar 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
No es de los mejores de SEP pero divertido. Bonito.
Dee
3.5 Stars

Enjoyed this but really cannot understand why it had been linked to the Wynette?!!
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy, romance
I would review this on the eve of the worst presidential election I can recall. Okay, first the series. This is part of the Wynette, Texas series the same way the previous one was: i.e. a kid present in this one grows up to feature in one of the later books that actually has anything at all to do with Wynette, Texas. As such, you really, really don't have to have read any of the actual Wynette books before this one. Unlike the previous one, this one didn't suck.

There are a lot of potential backg
Caro Charmie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Mmm son pocas estrellas para SEP pero es lo qué hay. Este libro me llevo tiempo y ganas leerlo y terminarlo.avance y quede en la página 100 sin muchas ganas y expectativas.pero tenia q terminarlo.aqui la heroína es la distinguida Cornelia Case primera dama de EEUU.quien cansada de lidiar con esa vida decide tomarse un respiro y escapa a la ruta por poco más de una semana. En esa aventura conocerá a Matt Jorik un periodista en busca de su perspectiva perdida quien lidia con dos menores a su cargo ...more
fleurette
Most of the books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips are hit or miss for me. I either like them a lot either strongly dislike them. This is one of the few that I liked but it didn't grabbed me as much as some others.

I definitely liked the main characters Mat and Nealy. The idea of the First Lady as a heroine is really refreshing and unique. The girls even though a bit stereotypical are also okay. I also liked that Nealy isn't one of those totally naive and silly heroines.

However, I have to admit that I
Lissa D'Angelo
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ya no sé qué decir!
Es SEP es así, te deja sin palabras, te hace querer gritar, maldecir, llorar,enamorarte... Todo a la vez, sin piedad, no te da tregua, es una reacción en cadena de emociones, y cuando al fin crees que te has repuesto... plaf, VIENE OTRA MÁS!
Sólo diré que quiero llorar, no por la novela, no es en absoluto trágica, sino por mi adicción, por SEP, porque hace pocas horas salió un nuevo libro suyo y no es suficiente, quiero más, lo quiero todo. Ese es el problema con esta mujer, ge
NiteReader
I'm rounding up to two stars...
This one was really not good, not good at all.
Linda Howard Book...: October '18 Everything Else BOTM - First Lady 5 10 Oct 19, 2018 02:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: add cover and narrator to audiobook 3 14 Apr 17, 2018 09:15AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover to ebook 2 15 Apr 13, 2018 07:50AM

• True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team, #4)
  • Heartthrob
  • Perfect (Second Opportunities, #2)
  • His Wicked Ways (MacKay, #1)
  • Yours for the Taking (Domestic Gods, #4)
  • Lady Anne’s Lover
  • Faking It (Dempseys, #2)
  • Her Secret Fling
  • Irresistible (Buchanans #2)
  • Happily Bedded Bliss (The Rakes of Cavendish Square, #2)
  • Light My Fire (The DeMarco Family, #4)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an international bestseller whose books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award. Among her other accomplishments, Susan created the sports romance.

Susan's newest book, FIRST STAR

Wynette, Texas (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas, #2)
  • What I Did for Love (Wynette, Texas, #4)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #6)
“You make me see the world in new ways. You're the first thing my heart greets when I wake up in the morning. You're the last thing I see in my mind before I fall asleep.” 11 likes
“Just looking at you shines sunlight on every moment I live. Before I knew you, I wasn't even alive. I thought I knew what I wanted, but I didn't have any idea. You barged into my life and changed it forever. I love you, I admire you, I lust after you, I adore you...” 8 likes