The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 20.2 Rookie at the Top. Travelgirlut's Task: Random Words

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Mar 02, 2011 11:10AM) (new)

Sandy | 15899 comments Mod
20.2 Rookie at the Top. Travelgirlut's Task: Random Words
Go to Random Word Generator and click on the number "5" to generate five random words. Read a book that has at least one of your five words in the title or subtitle. Series names will not work for this task. Plurals and possessives of your words are acceptable but not prefixes or suffixes or any other additions. To make it extra challenging, see if you can find a book with more than one of your words!

For example, if my five words were “flamenco,” “conductor,” “stone,” “cottage,” and “minute,” I could read .The Flamenco Academy, Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone,The Cottage, or Eleven Minutes
Required: When posting, tell us your five random words.

message 2: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments Reserved

message 3: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments Reserved

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 5: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Bingle. That is one of my words. Seriously? I've never even heard the word before! But apparently there is a book called Mr. Bingle. Who would have thought??

I also had the word "chain" so I will read Chains.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Lahni wrote: "Bingle. That is one of my words. Seriously? I've never even heard the word before! But apparently there is a book called Mr. Bingle. Who would have thought??

I also had the wor..."

LOL - how could you resist "bingle"!

message 7: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 02, 2011 11:56AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
I'm sort of disappointed I got "normal" words- I was hoping for something fun like bingle!

straw, degree, dinosaur, fatigue, space- too many options to decide on a book now

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments ROFL at bingle....*pulls out dictionary*

Anyway, I did mine and one of my words was tattoo so I'm going to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. That worked out well :) (my other words were hygiene, flowerpot, prison, and ears)

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim  | 0 comments Dlmrose wrote: "I'm sort of disappointed I got "normal" words- I was hoping for something fun like bingle!"

Be glad you didn't get my words, LOL!

fertiliser, wheelbarrow, plug, copyright, parachute

I think this will be the last task I do. :) :)

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Bingle! That is too funny!

I'm on my phone and unable to access the site at the moment but I'm excited to see what it will choose for me. Fun task!

message 11: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments Lahni wrote: "Bingle. That is one of my words. Seriously? I've never even heard the word before! But apparently there is a book called Mr. Bingle. Who would have thought??

I also had the wor..."

Is bingle even a word? :) But your choice looks like a good one!

message 12: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17600 comments Mod
Kim L wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "I'm sort of disappointed I got "normal" words- I was hoping for something fun like bingle!"

Be glad you didn't get my words, LOL!

fertiliser, wheelbarrow, plug, copyright, par..."

Ha!
John McPhee is on my list of authors to read this year- Silk Parachute is on display at my library

message 13: by Lahni (last edited Mar 02, 2011 12:18PM) (new)

Lahni | 314 comments I didn't list my other words: bingle, chain, parent, trapeze, frame.

message 14: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Love this! I got roulette, fire, snail, pastry and internet. At least fire is something I can work with!

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Man, I got normal words to - jacket, melon, socks...and 2 others that I have written down at home

message 16: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments bingle - noun - a base hit on which the batter stops safely at first base.

Now you all know. I had to look in two dictionaries to find the word.

message 17: by Beth (last edited Mar 02, 2011 01:42PM) (new)

Beth | 665 comments Huh. Who knew? Hehe!

:)

message 18: by Carly (new)

Carly | 251 comments There is also a book called Saving Mr. Bingle: A New Orleans Christmas Fairy Tale. Mr. Bingle is a local holiday legend here in New Orleans. Too bad I didn't get the word bingle.

message 19: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Fran wrote: "Love this! I got roulette, fire, snail, pastry and internet. At least fire is something I can work with!"

Fran, last challenge I read The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating, which was a charming little book.

message 20: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2077 comments I got chocolate, apple pie, false teech (sic), stretcher and map!

message 21: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Fran wrote: "Love this! I got roulette, fire, snail, pastry and internet. At least fire is something I can work with!"

Fran, last challenge I read [book:The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating|8303977..."

Thanks Donna Jo, I'll look it up :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments My words were fairy, interlude, eagle, mustard, and leather. I am going to read "The Fairy Godmother".

message 23: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments Coralie wrote: "I got chocolate, apple pie, false teech (sic), stretcher and map!"

I noticed that "false teech" when I was playing with the generator before writing the task and just hoped no one would get it. Sorry you lucked out on that one! Though I would be surprised if you found a book with "false teeth" in the title. :)

message 24: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2077 comments Lahni wrote: "Bingle. That is one of my words. Seriously? I've never even heard the word before! But apparently there is a book called Mr. Bingle. Who would have thought??

In Australia 'bingle' means a collision. If your car hit something you would say "I was in a bit of a bingle.'

message 25: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "My words were fairy, interlude, eagle, mustard, and leather. I am going to read "The Fairy Godmother"."

You could also read A Red Herring Without Mustard if you like mysteries. I've liked the others in this series so far.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Sorry I make it a point never to eat fish, even with mustard :)

message 27: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Coralie wrote: "I got chocolate, apple pie, false teech (sic), stretcher and map!"

I'm jealous of your "chocolate"! i got artist, passion, egg, crisps, & baton. i'm guessing artist and passion will be the most promising choices!

message 28: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments there is actually a romance called Passion...Passion - it was like the it book to read a few years ago, but I thought it was only ok...

message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10918 comments Mod
Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Sorry I make it a point never to eat fish, even with mustard :)"

LOL...

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Riona, I read this year, "The Passion of Artemissa" and it was really good. It is about a female painter who lived in the 15oos. The only female artist of her time that was successful.

message 31: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments So my words came up as error, crash, emerald, sack, and daisy. I'm going to be reading Crash, though Please Don't Eat the Daisies looks like it could be really good, but my small-town library doesn't have it. :(

message 32: by Juli (new)

Juli (julifabulous) | 63 comments mine are cereal, parade, fin, midwife, berry. no idea what i'll do for this one yet

message 33: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) Juli, Shark's Fin & Sichuan Pepper is supposed to be good (I haven't yet read it). There's also the Richard Yates Book The Easter Parade.

message 34: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) Gayla wrote: "Juli, Shark's Fin & Sichuan Pepper is supposed to be good (I haven't yet read it). There's also the Richard Yates Book The Easter Parade."

I read Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper: A Sweet-sour Memoir of Eating in China a few months ago and thought it was excellent. I have serious interests in both chinese culture and cooking, though, so your mileage may vary and all that.

message 35: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7592 comments Midwives is supposed to be a good read, if its approved...there was a movie starring Sissy Spacek that was based on it

Juli wrote: "mine are cereal, parade, fin, midwife, berry. no idea what i'll do for this one yet"

message 36: by Pinky_rocks (new)

Pinky_rocks | 68 comments I got scorpion, saxophone, nose, spy and cliff.

Maybe I'll try reading Edward Trencom's Nose: A Novel of History, Dark Intrigue and Cheese

message 37: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "Midwives is supposed to be a good read, if its approved...there was a movie starring Sissy Spacek that was based on it

Juli wrote: "mine are cereal, parade, fin, midwife, berry. no i..."

That is one of my favorite books. (not sure if it would count as it is so different, but if it is approved, I heartily recommend it!)

message 38: by Ashley FL (new)

Ashley FL | 732 comments So mine are:

picnic
chips
can
scales
sentry

The first three make me think the random word generator was eating a can of Pringles!

message 39: by Wendy UK (last edited Mar 03, 2011 05:41AM) (new)

Wendy  UK (wendyuk) | 756 comments Lahni wrote: "Bingle. That is one of my words. Seriously? I've never even heard the word before! But apparently there is a book called Mr. Bingle. Who would have thought??

I also had the wor..."

And that's not the only book about Mr Bingle! When my daughter was tiny this was our favourite picture book:

Mr. Bingle's Apple Pie Mr. Bingle's Apple Pie by Anne Wellington

And more than thirty years on I can still recite it by heart!

message 40: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Ashley FL wrote: "So mine are:

picnic
chips
can
scales
sentry

The first three make me think the random word generator was eating a can of Pringles!"

Ashley, if you're allowed to use it, I have Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder on my kindle and it's lendable if you want it :)

message 41: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments I have to say that the funnest part of this task is seeing everyone's list of words.

message 42: by Sue (new)

Sue (suetinge) | 1503 comments my words were snow, briefcase, crane, baboon and submarine

I've got The Tale of Halcyon CraneSnow Falling on Cedars and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan all on my TBR list

message 43: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Sue T wrote: "my words were snow, briefcase, crane, baboon and submarine

I've got The Tale of Halcyon CraneSnow Falling on Cedars and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan all o..."

I liked The Tale of Halcyon Crane. I read it last year.

message 44: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 114 comments Mine are publicity, carnival, nanny, software and butcher! Haha, I have no idea what Ill do. None of those words are in any of the titles on my to read list. I've already read The Nanny diaries.... Any suggestions?

message 45: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 143 comments Maggie wrote: "Mine are publicity, carnival, nanny, software and butcher! Haha, I have no idea what Ill do. None of those words are in any of the titles on my to read list. I've already read The Nanny diaries......."

My book club just finished reading Don't Stop the Carnival: A Novel , it's an oldie by Herman Wouk. Jimmy Buffet and Wouk collaborated on turning it into a musical. I didn't think much of it, but most everyone else in my bookclub really enjoyed it.

message 46: by Gayla (new)

Gayla Bassham (sophronisba) I liked The Butcher Boy. It's pretty dark, though.

message 47: by Sandy (new)

I got travel, shoelace, cabin, internet and reject. I found that my library system does not have a single book with "shoelace" in the title! (I was filtering for adult level books, though, so I may have filtered out "Susie Ties Her Shoelaces" or something!)

With travel and internet, however, I wound up with a whole bunch more books added to my TBR list! Actually, this is really an interesting way to find books - when I went through the lists that pulled up, I read a lot of descriptions of books that sounded really interesting, that I probably would not have run across otherwise.

message 48: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2077 comments The only 'apple pie' book my library has is "A" Was Once An Apple Pie by Edward Lear

message 49: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments My words are mobile phone, captain, soap, arm and thunder. I'm still trying to find something to work with; "thunder" will me probably get the farthest.

message 50: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments Isabell wrote: "My words are mobile phone, captain, soap, arm and thunder. I'm still trying to find something to work with; "thunder" will me probably get the farthest."

A Farewell to Arms and
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry were the first to pop in my head.

« previous 1