Manga Book Club discussion

Questions > New Wikia???

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayden (new)

Hayden  (littlemisshayden) | 13 comments Hey Guys!
Have you heard of the website wikia? I'm making a manga wiki and I need some ideas and stuff for what things I should include. it wont we up just yet, be I would be grateful if anyone could volunteer to help with artwork, ideas about what books I should include on the wiki and character info. of course, I'll link back to this group and mention anyone who helped, even if they helped just a tiny bit! :)

- Hayden

message 2: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments Well it really depends on your goals for the wikia.

A comprehensive one is a downright daunting task if just for the sheer variety and number of titles.

If you wanted to make one as an intro to manga and essential reads it's quiet workable, but i think we'll end up with a rather heated discussion on essential titles.

I'm assuming you want something in the middle ground there but i'm not quite sure where you'd go with it. Maybe split titles by audience, and of course have a page defining the categories. Lol maybe we should make a page of buzzwords and things to look out for when buying manga. I made one of those for a local bookstore years ago because the little old ladies who come in shopping for their grankids inevitably pick up the one plastic wrapped yaoi title on the shelf... that or the most violent seinen series for young children...

message 3: by Hayden (last edited Mar 03, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

Hayden  (littlemisshayden) | 13 comments I think an intro to manga will be a good idea, with older famous one like Astro Boy as a sort of history, and some more modern ones that people read right now(you guys can help me with that :D).

message 4: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments It's hard to split some of these by age demographic, so here's my personal list of what i'd consider essential reads.

Astro Boy & Black Jack for being major works of Tezuka.

I'm not really sure what i'd list as Shojo's must reads, so a poll of manga fangirls i know came up with 2 consistent series. Sailor Moon and Fruits Basket. I've not read the first so i don't know how it compares with the anime. I'll agree with Fruits Basket, if for no other reason then it proves fans have a voice in getting manga signed over here.

Shonen is almost hard for the sheer variety of titles...
Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece for obvious reasons. I can safely throw Dragonball into that list and probably Trigun and Ruroni Kenshin too. Yu Yu Hakusho at least deserves honorable mention.
Ranma 1/2 and Inuyasha, both kinda debatable for genre but they seem to be mostly shonen.

No clue on Josei... I guess i should find a couple good ones at least...

I'll deal with seinen later i need to go make dinner now, but you've at least got a start to the debate on essential ones.

message 5: by Hayden (new)

Hayden  (littlemisshayden) | 13 comments I agree with fruits basket and sailor moon as good shojos. I've never actually read Bleach or other much shonen stuff (mainly 'cos I'm a girl), but there's a manga section in my local library, so I'll check it out. Oh, and I'm not using wikia anymore - I'm using www.webs.com. I've had more experience with that website and you can create wikis just as good there.
the base of the site is up and running, but NO text has been added yet lol:

http://www.littlemangawiki.webs.com/

message 6: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments A minor note on your site, it's not a wiki...
A wiki is editable by the users, yours appears to be a blog with forums. it'll still work, but the title is a touch misleading.

Anyway, i meant to come back sooner to do seinen, but life and a fist of the north star game got in the way.

For Seinen i'd recommend Berserk, Fist of the North Star, Death Note, MPD Psycho, Higurashi, Battle Royale... hmmm, seinen tends to be dark if you haven't noticed yet. so probably Oh!Great's titles with Tengho Tenge and Airgear should be mentioned. Maison Ikkoku is one of the lighter ones too.

As for essential writers, i'd say CLAMP, Rumiko Takahashi, Akira Toriyama, Masashi Kishimoto, Naoko Takeuchi. The first 3 for influence on other writers, the last 3 for accessibility to those outside the usual otaku circles.
I'm sure you know CLAMP, but the last 3 are Dragon ball, Naruto, and Sailor moon respectively, the second one did both inuyasha and ranma 1/2. I'd be willing to bet one of those last 3 is responsible for getting you to watch anime for the first time.

I'm kinda the oddball My first series was fist of the north star and it was subbed. though admittedly sailor moon did come on after it on the pirate station i watched them on.

message 7: by Hayden (new)

Hayden  (littlemisshayden) | 13 comments I haven't put the wiki section up yet, by the way. The blog and forums are some extra bits people can use while they're on the wiki. But thanks for having a look though!

Thanks for telling me about all these books. I've heard of quite a few of these, like death note. Thanks for all your help!

message 8: by Hayden (new)

Hayden  (littlemisshayden) | 13 comments *Facepalm* The website I'm using has taken the wiki function down, so I won't be able to use that site anymore. I'm going back to Wikia.

message 9: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Starbubbles | 871 comments Mod
Hayden wrote: "I think an intro to manga will be a good idea, with older famous one like Astro Boy as a sort of history, and some more modern ones that people read right now(you guys can help me with that :D)."

you could organize the list by decade or mangaka.
it's easiest to start with what you know, and work back.

message 10: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

David wrote: "A minor note on your site, it's not a wiki...
A wiki is editable by the users, yours appears to be a blog with forums. it'll still work, but the title is a touch misleading.

Anyway, i meant to com..."

hokuto no ken!
i love playing that with my boyfriend! i don't think i'm much fun since i'm a button masher. haha!

message 11: by Lear (last edited Mar 08, 2011 10:03PM) (new)

Lear | 56 comments ... most the game is played with 2 buttons, how could you not be a button masher?

While a list be manga-ka and decade would be informative I think genre or target audience would be more effective.

Honestly how often do you go, "i want to read something from the 60s." I'd be willing to bet not very often, so while by decade may be informative i don't think it would be helpful to many people.

By author would require people to already know authors, and while I'll admit to choosing novels for this reason titles catch my eye more on manga. For an example of why i don't think by author would be helpful, check this out. Let's say you've only got the name Matsumoto for the mangaka. you come up with these results.
Izumi Matsumoto
Jiro Matsumoto
Leiji Matsumoto
Taiyo Matsumoto
Temari Matsumoto
Tomo Matsumoto
Now you could look through each one. But most of us are just want look for the title we were looking for and will type that in the search bar. However if you go through the list you'll find the writer of Captain Harlock, Beauty is the Beast, and a yaoi writer, all of which are likely a tangent for what you're looking for. There may however be merit in considering alphabetically by title.
A page about the writers may be nice eventually, but I'd only try to hit major ones in the beginning.

message 12: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

Well, I think it depends on the goal of the wiki. If the focus is history, having just popular titles might not be informative enough. But I guess most won't look it up by era, most would want to look up thier favorite title and maybe go from there.

I think having it by era would be interesting. You could discuss style, themes, social interactions with the series, social interactions the series is discussing...
then you could map changes over time. Geez, I feel like a nerd

message 13: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments At the moment it looks like the goal is to be an introduction to manga, although i have to agree that going that in depth for a decade of manga does sound interesting to read, but where would you generate the initial list of what we'd need to review?

You are a nerd, but you're in a group about manga on a website for people who love to read, i think you're in good company.

message 14: by Hayden (new)

Hayden  (littlemisshayden) | 13 comments AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH FRUSTRATION!!! When I sign up for wikia it says: sorry, we are unable to register you at this time. I keep trying everyday. Eventually, we'll get our site! These are awsome ideas by the way :)

message 15: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (last edited Mar 09, 2011 10:36PM) (new)

David wrote: "At the moment it looks like the goal is to be an introduction to manga, although i have to agree that going that in depth for a decade of manga does sound interesting to read, but where would you g..."

i have no idea. my knowledge about the history is rather limited. i guess we would have to start with what we know, and work backwards to what we don't know. it's what i have to do with my history classes all of the time.

it might be hard to reasearch since a bunch of what that would be social history, and let's face it, we don't have access to much of what we would need for it such as newpapers. plus, knowing how to read japanese would be helpful. haha

message 16: by Hayden (new)

Hayden  (littlemisshayden) | 13 comments YES!! Wikia still isn't working, but webs has put the wiki feature back up, so we are off. You can only view the wiki page if you are a member, by the way (I might change that). The site's only just gone up, so there won't be anything on there. The adress is;

www.mangawiki.webs.com

message 17: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments That's true. There's also another issue with looking at time spans. Do you consider the manga's release date by the American release or the Japanese? They influenced both in different ways.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure inspired quite a few people to make manga when it came out in 1987 in japan, but in america we've only had one arc from the middle of the first stretch of the manga.

message 18: by Starbubbles, Respected Elder (new)

hmmm. more good things to think about. my first assumption would have been to look at it in relation to japanese releases and such. since the original audience was intended to be japanese. the meaning for the original intent is different for japan than it's meaning for other countries.

message 19: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments your page mentions how to draw manga.

http://www.amazon.com/Draw-Manga-Your...

There's the link you need for that. he encourages learning to draw real people first, and he discourages mimicking his style. the pictures are there as a guideline and to demonstrate technique, not for you to copy them.

lol i pretty much gave his book plug from Ohayocon

message 20: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments Starbubbles wrote: "hmmm. more good things to think about. my first assumption would have been to look at it in relation to japanese releases and such. since the original audience was intended to be japanese. the m..."

lol in 1988 when ronin warriors came out in japan it was an attempt to capitalize on samurai and something akin to super sentai's popularity.

In 1995 when it came out in america it got a lot of us into japanese culture and helped set us up to be receptive to classic foreign films when we reached adulthood. I'm pretty sure they're partially responsible for getting kurosawa movies into my local walmart.

message 21: by Twister (new)

Twister ten | 1 comments Manga have also become increasingly popular worldwide. Artist put a lot of effort creating such cartoons. The details of work are amazing.

http://www.sketchheroes.com

message 22: by Lear (new)

Lear | 56 comments ... That's nice but how does it add to the discussion at all? It seems to be spam for a tablet site.