Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > 2011-03 THE NAME OF THE WIND: roll call and initial impressions (NO SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Please let us know if you're reading or planning to read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, and any initial impressions.

No spoilers in this thread please!

message 2: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (tribal) | 9 comments I have been a member of the group for quite a while, but this is my first time jumping in and reading a book with everyone. I picked it up on my Kindle last night and started reading it. I only read the first chapter, but so far it looks pretty good. I like that Rothfuss starts out with something interesting rather then tons of 'get to know the characters' dialog. So, chapter one has me hooked, let's see if it stays that way.

message 3: by Ken (new)

Ken (ogi8745) | 1348 comments This is another that is in the TBR Pile. One of the associates at a book store I frequent loves it. I bought it on her recommendation. She actually gave me a dirty look when I told her I haven't read it yet. I don't think I am going to make it this month.
I plan on this year though, looking at late fall.

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
This is a book I own and plan to read, but I'm really swamped with other books right now and am trying to not start any series that is not finished. So this will get read by me, but not any time soon.

message 5: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 334 comments I don't know. I read this when it 1st came out, really liked it, remember a bit. I would want to re-read it before reading Day 2 which came yesterday.

OTOH, I am feeling a need to start Grand Conspiracy

What to do...

message 6: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Read Name of the Wind when it came out. I will comment in the spoiler area - nice for anyone starting now that the second book is available. My favorite part so far was the opening chapter, which was brilliant.

message 7: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Mar 02, 2011 08:25AM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) Already read it, found it a fair read but don't plan to read it again. I may join in the discussion later, once spoilers are "okay". Errr...or on the other thread where spoilers are acceptable (LOL).

message 8: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 820 comments I initially read this a couple of years ago and enjoyed it quite a lot. I've been trying to do a reread to refresh my memory for the discussion, but I've only managed to get about 5 chapters in so far.

Janny, I have to agree. I love the first few paragraphs. They created a mood for me that drew me in and made me want to know where things would lead.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments I read this last month and will probably post from time to time.

I thought there were some flashes of brilliance. I was expecting to either love this or hate this; surprisingly, I did neither. (If anyone wants to read my rambling but non-spoilery review, it's here. Note that there is a minor contextless spoiler in the status updates at the bottom. But they're mostly just me griping about spelling, proofreading, and usage.)

message 10: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 136 comments I've finished the first chapter of The Name of the Wind. So far so good. And, I'm happy that I've finally got organized enough to read the group's BOTM during that month!!!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read it a few times over the years, so I won't be re-reading it with the group.

However, I think I can recall enough of it that I can join in on some discussions.

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (breakofdawn) I've read it once, and plan on re-reading a little later this month before I move on to WMF. I'm kind of afraid I won't love it as much the second time around as I did the first.. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen!

message 13: by Philip (new)

Philip Athans (philathans) | 67 comments I have a copy of this book staring right at me from a shelf just off my left shoulder, but I just can't do it--too big a book to get through in a month with so many pressing work priorities and other books in progress. But I will read it--eventually--I promise!

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Not going to read the book, hate the book, the main character, his actions are not justified enough for me. To me the whole book is based on the the character's action.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments To me the whole book is based on the the character's action.

I'm curious what you mean by that, Kevin. Aren't most books?

message 16: by Kevin (last edited Mar 02, 2011 06:16PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Snail in Danger (Nikki) wrote: "To me the whole book is based on the the character's action.

I'm curious what you mean by that, Kevin. Aren't most books?"

Sorry, I meant the whole book is decided on Kvothe's action, which if a person like me don't like him, then the whole book is gone, there is no other character to hang on to like in most books.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments I liked Bast and Auri, and kind of wished they got more screen time. And some of the other characters gave the impression of having depths, even if we didn't see much of them.

I agree the book is K-centric. I wasn't terribly fond of him either, but I think him being that way is sort of the point, or part of the story. Almost anyone who has dealt with the stuff he has (being vague to avoid spoilers) would have, um, adjustment problems.

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Snail in Danger (Nikki) wrote: "I liked Bast and Auri, and kind of wished they got more screen time. And some of the other characters gave the impression of having depths, even if we didn't see much of them.

I agree the book is..."

Good point, but how come some can while other just can't overcome problems like his.

message 19: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I've just started it. It's been on my list for a long time, but I am always wary of beginning a series, so I've procrastinated. I'm hopeful, though, and I'm really liking the style and voice so far.

message 20: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Read it a few years back. Been slowly listening to it on audio as a re-read. Love the book, looking forward to discussion. =)

message 21: by NC (new)

NC (cyberfrenzy) | 7 comments I really can't wait to start reading. Going to the library today, I've already put it in my hold list.

message 22: by Chad (new)

Chad Anderson (chadanderson) I've made it through the first 6 chapters and I'm intrigued as to where it is going. Or in Kvothe's case where it came from.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary | 5 comments Its been sitting on my TBR shelf forever. Its nice to get a chance to read it starting this weekend.

message 24: by Jea0126 (new)

Jea0126 | 4 comments I read it a few years ago when it first came out in paperback. It was a great read. May have to go back and skim though because I've ordered the second one in hardback. I just hope it won't take him as long to finish the 3rd book.

message 25: by Helen (new)

Helen I have to reread it ready for part 2 as well!

message 26: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 513 comments Mod
I started this weekend, and I'm half way through. I appreciate the author's ability to tell a good story. I understand this is his first book, quite an accomplishment.

message 27: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Argh! I just realized I need to read this this month! Ok, ok, I'll put it in my current month list!

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 218 comments about two thirds of the way into the audiobook. i loved the opening - the set up in the inn and the events immediately following - and there have been flashes of true brilliance in the main body (i've laughed out loud and possibly punched the air in joy), but a lot of it has dragged, too. i'm wondering if a lot fo this should have been left as back story, referred to rather than told in such detail.

difficult to say as i'm not at the end, but i can't see myself continuing with the series if it carries on being Kvothe telling his tale rather than getting up-to-date by the end of the first volume.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Sherri wrote: "Ok, I am paused right where the frame goes into the flashback, and...I can't work up interest enough to pick it up again. What IS wrong with me?"

Nothing?

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Colleen ~blackrose~ wrote: "Sherri wrote: "Ok, I am paused right where the frame goes into the flashback, and...I can't work up interest enough to pick it up again. What IS wrong with me?"

Nothing?"

What she said.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments "Readers are not sheep, and not every pen tempts them." (I'm not afraid to steal other people's lines.)

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Nothing wrong with light and fluffy once in a while. Sometimes you're just not in the right headspace for something serious...

message 33: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon (last edited Mar 10, 2011 11:03AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Sometimes I feel a bit sad that I don't seem to like a lot of popular books. I feel like I'm missing something and, yes, even that there's something wrong with me sometimes.

But, ya know, you like what you like - nothing you can do about it.

And maybe it is just a mood thing. Why not read some light and fluffy things and then come back to this later and see if you get into it more?

(Good quote there, Danger Snail.) :)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Nothing wrong with weird.

But, if it helps, it's not all that depressing. At least I didn't think so. Parts were, yes, but I was more bored than anything. (That probably doesn't help. Maybe I should let someone else should gear you up for it. LOL)

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I say let Kevin talk her into reading it

message 36: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon (last edited Mar 10, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) LOL!

That would be perfect.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 187 comments Um. Let's see. Bast is a rockin' sidekick.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

In all honesty, once you get past Tarbean, it stops being depressing. But his suffering to, and in, Tarbean help to set his character.

When you get past that is when it gets fun.

message 39: by Kara (new)

Kara (sterlink) | 73 comments Ala wrote: "In all honesty, once you get past Tarbean, it stops being depressing."

True true.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

If you get to the University portion and still find it lacking, I'd say that'd be a good point to just toss the book ;)

message 41: by Richelle (new)

Richelle (richellet) | 9 comments I'm re-reading this before going on to the sequel. I read it from the library when it first came out, and spent many nights up past my bedtime reading "just one more chapter." Looking forward to reading the next book soon :) I just bought both of them in hardcover I liked the first so much!

message 42: by Richelle (new)

Richelle (richellet) | 9 comments I'm re-reading this before going on to the sequel. I read it from the library when it first came out, and spent many nights up past my bedtime reading "just one more chapter." Looking forward to reading the next book soon :) I just bought both of them in hardcover I liked the first so much!

message 43: by Carol (last edited Mar 12, 2011 07:44PM) (new)

Carol (sojutu) | 1 comments So far, I am thoroughly enjoying the story. I. Haven't gotten much far because of late night work and a cousin that seems to call everytime I open my book.
Tonight I am dedicating 2 hours and a cup of frozen yogurt to this extremely well written story. I took the hardcover copy out of the library because I wanted the flow to be easier.
I am impressed and I am on the edge of my seat wanting to know more and devour more pages. It is refreshing to read a story that finally respects the reader and applies intelligence.

message 44: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments Kara wrote: "Read it a few years back. Been slowly listening to it on audio as a re-read. Love the book, looking forward to discussion. =)"

I'm doing the same. I am really loving the audiobook. I got it in audio because I'm planning on listening to The Wise Man's Fear because that was the least expensive way to get it. The ebook is $12.99 vs. $11.50 for my Audible credit. The narrator is fantastic and I'm picking up a lot of stuff I missed when I read it the first time.

message 45: by Barb (new)

Barb (barbtrek) | 40 comments I read it & loved it. I may skim through it again to refresh my memory for discussion and to prepare to read the sequel.

message 46: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 1141 comments Sandi wrote: "Kara wrote: "Read it a few years back. Been slowly listening to it on audio as a re-read. Love the book, looking forward to discussion. =)"

I'm doing the same. I am really loving the audioboo..."

Hmmm. Maybe I'll listen to #2 if I like this one. Am only two chapters in, but am loving the writing. And am engaged so far.

message 47: by Calvin (new)

Calvin (ardentrogue) | 1 comments I picked this up based upon a friend's recommendation. I'm currently about 200 pages in and really enjoying the story.

message 48: by Danie (new)

Danie Cutter I read this ages ago... and seem to remember loving it. Hope this really was the case as I've now got #2 and just "rebought" NOTW in hardback. Bit OCD about all my series being of the same format!

Anyhoo looking forward to reading it again, before starting #2, but have a few reviews owed on other books first. Hopefully before end of March.

message 49: by Theresa (new)

Theresa (gossamerchild) Started it late last week, and am about 1/4 of the way through it, roughly. Can't seem to put it down, but have to read it slowly as it might get too heavy for me :-) Loving the characterizations so far.

message 50: by Kevin (last edited Mar 14, 2011 06:56PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 372 comments Theresa wrote: "Started it late last week, and am about 1/4 of the way through it, roughly. Can't seem to put it down, but have to read it slowly as it might get too heavy for me :-) Loving the characterizations..."

The characterization is the least favorite part of The Name of the Wind, but characterization is usually my favorite part of a book.

« previous 1