Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Teachers' and Librarians' Corner > Books on the Environment/Global Warming/Fossil Fuels

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Bree (blackdotbug) I just read Empty by Suzanne Weyn and realized I had read or heard about a number of books in the last year that, while fictional, contained a lot of information about the state of our world and where it is heading.

Empty is a slim little volume packed with information about OPEC, alternative energy sources, genetically-engineered foods, plastics and low impact architecture. It also shows just how unprepared most of America is if a real oil crisis were to disrupt our way of life. And somehow, amid all the crises, there's still a teen crush triangle.

Recommended for early teens and up mostly for the information, not so much for the quality of the prose.

Some others I've read or heard about:
Exodus & Zenith by Julie Bertagna about what happens to the world after the polar ice caps melt.
Destroy All Cars by Blake Nelson about dependency on fossil fuels.
Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi about the world after all the oil is gone.

I'm sure there's more out there. What have you guys heard about or read?

message 2: by Kellee (last edited Mar 01, 2011 05:37PM) (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) The Uglies series are dystopian books that deals with a world where our civilization ended because of a bacteria in oil.

In the City of Ember series, also dystopia, didn't our world end because of something with oil too? I love the series, but I can't remember how the apocalypse happened.

I've been wanting to read Empty- it is good to hear that it is worth it.

message 3: by Denise (new)

Denise (readindee) | 10 comments The Carbon Diaries are great - they are a fictional series about the UK being the first country to begin rationing carbon output among all citizens. I've read the first one and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Firestorm by David Klass is the first book in a trilogy dealing with environmental issues ranging from destroying natural ocean habitats to the rain forest.

The Maze Runner and Scorch Trials by James Dashner are environmentally related, but discuss life after catastrophe strikes.

If I think about it, I've probably read others, but these three series come to mind immediately.